The Red Wedding Was Justified.

Brandon Ice-Eyes

17 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

How do you reckon? Care to back that up w/ a few quotes? 

I'll help!

“One glance was sufficient to tell Catelyn that the castle would not be taken by storm. The battlements bristled with spears and swords and scorpions, there was an archer at every crenel and arrow slit, the drawbridge was up, the portcullis down, the gates closed and barred.

The Greatjon began to curse and swear as soon as he saw what awaited them. Lord Rickard Karstark glowered in silence. “That cannot be assaulted, my lords,” Roose Bolton announced.”

“Nor can we take it by siege, without an army on the far bank to invest the other castle,” Helman Tallhart said gloomily. Across the deep-running green waters, the western twin stood like a reflection of its eastern brother. “Even if we had the time. Which, to be sure, we do not.”

“They’ll be twenty thousand fresh corpses when Lord Tywin gets here,” the old man shot back. “Don’t you try and frighten me, my lady.”

Just now, Universal Sword Donor said:

I'll help!

“One glance was sufficient to tell Catelyn that the castle would not be taken by storm. The battlements bristled with spears and swords and scorpions, there was an archer at every crenel and arrow slit, the drawbridge was up, the portcullis down, the gates closed and barred.

The Greatjon began to curse and swear as soon as he saw what awaited them. Lord Rickard Karstark glowered in silence. “That cannot be assaulted, my lords,” Roose Bolton announced.”

“Nor can we take it by siege, without an army on the far bank to invest the other castle,” Helman Tallhart said gloomily. Across the deep-running green waters, the western twin stood like a reflection of its eastern brother. “Even if we had the time. Which, to be sure, we do not.”

“They’ll be twenty thousand fresh corpses when Lord Tywin gets here,” the old man shot back. “Don’t you try and frighten me, my lady.”

Perfect! :cheers:

ETA: I was thinking about some of the quotes you provided, especially # 1 and 3. But you quoted even more! :D

On 10/20/2019 at 5:04 PM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Guest right is not law.  It is custom and tradition. 

33 minutes ago, King of Heroes said:

Yes, it is only custom not law.  A cherished tradition but it was not the law.  The Starks needed to get themselves trimmed and the Freys did it with remarkable efficiency and minimized casualty to their side. 

Guest right is more like a sacred oath sealed by a religious-style ceremony.  As such, its violation is way more serious than that of a mere law promulgated by the King.  And it is clear that the population of Westeros regards it as being beyond the pale, as it were.

On 9/29/2019 at 11:46 AM, BalerionTheCat said:

Those with Stannis know Ned didn't betray Robert. Ned humiliation is another reason not to surrender.

Shortlived, yes. Forgiven, no. The Others will change the priorities.

Ned actually betrayed Robert AND Joffrey.  We know his intentions but the north do not.  He hid the truth from the dying Robert.  And, besides himself, Jaime, and Cersei, the appearance to the world looked like he was attempting to take power from Joffrey.  Ned would be convicted of treason in any court. 

You and I are talking about the nuance and the finer details.  Of which Robb Stark and the north would never concern themselves with.  One of their own is the prisoner and the question of guilt or innocence (nor the negative consequences to the common people if war should happen) did not factor in the decision to march to battle.  It occurred to Catelyn but she still arrested Tyrion.  It's the irrational level of love of family that brings on the problems and the suffering.  It leads people to make decisions that hurt more than help.  That is true indictment for both the Starks and the Freys. 

On 10/27/2019 at 2:01 PM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

He hid the truth from the dying Robert.

Ned should have told him. The bastard fucked too many things. He deserved the bill before his death. But yes, Ned's love. Irrational.

You and I are talking about the nuance and the finer details..

If you say so...

It's the irrational level of love of family that brings on the problems and the suffering.

Agree 100% with that. It explains their decision. Maybe my forgiveness. But doesn't it change who is right and who is wrong.

Archived