DCEU: Killer Clowns from Gotham City

GallowKnight

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I'm pretty sure the idea of continuity in DC movies has now been thrown out the window? There is surely no such thing as the shared universe now. Probably a good thing.

The Joker movie isn't related to their main DC movies (for now, at least. I suppose they could retcon it so Leto is joker 2.0) The others are still in the same shared universe. Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad 2 will be also. Along with the Flash movie if they ever actually make it.

They don't seem especially concerned about continuity though. If I remember right in Aquaman he's wowed seeing Atlantis for the first time when he was there in Justice League, which definitely happened first. 

Then there's the fact that I'm pretty sure I read both their Batman and Superman actors have quit. Which kinda makes it hard to do any more Justice Leauge things or anything involving superman (who I just assume doesn't really age like the rest of us?)  Last I heard The Batman gets around it by being about a younger bat-man.

The film was great and worth watching solely for phoenix's performance alone which is mesmerising. But the rest of the film holds up for me too. It is a bleak uncaring world in which the joker seems like the inevitable response and there are some new additions to the joker/gotham mythology that are quite intriguing.

I was apprehensive about some of the reviews too but i think a lot of the negative reviews are about the politics/values of the reviewers rather than the film itself. Which is fair enough if you share their viewpoint or don't want to support a given director or are opposed to violence and mental health depictions. Some of the comic websites are being harsh as well but that might be due to them being used to MCU fare or still upset about joker having an origin/disparaging comments by the director towards comics. Although regarding the violence and mental health, i feel the film does a good job in depicting both as failings in the state and society. There's far more senseless violence in the majority of action films i see than what is depicted here. 

If i were to pick faults I'd say the first 30 minutes had me worried the entire film was going to be slow and not have any "joker" moments. That and the other characters are quite thin but i think that was intentional in highlighting how isolated the lead character is. Some of the twists are very easy to spot for those familiar with this style of film as well but i don't think the film intends them to be key events (eg not shyamalan style) rather added layers. If you don't like bleak films, I'd probably avoid this too eg aronofsky's "the wrestler" or "requiem for a dream" where there's nothing heartwarming about the experience.

But honestly, it's worth watching just to see Phoenix at work. His eyes, the laugh, the dancing as well as his gradual change/descent are truly phenomenal and the oscar tips are not pre release hype but fully deserved.

Also what is it about people involved in the hangover films generating great tv and films this year? That's Joker and Chernobyl both contenders for film and tv show of the year.

I loved Joker, everything about it. Without spoiling anything, I think my favourite scene was the bathroom dance. Arthur was such a strange character with weird childlike and sometimes effeminate mannerisms but it really worked well.

I hope the DC Black idea takes off and more movies like this are made rather than a relentless tide of more capeshit. 

52 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

I loved Joker, everything about it. Without spoiling anything, I think my favourite scene was the bathroom dance. Arthur was such a strange character with weird childlike and sometimes effeminate mannerisms but it really worked well.

I hope the DC Black idea takes off and more movies like this are made rather than a relentless tide of more capeshit. 

It all depends on the characters and franchises being used. The mistake with superman and justice League was trying to make them fit a dark mold. I think Joker and Shazam have shown how you can get good films by being true to the character and spirit of the comic.

I could envisage a series of films focusing on batvillains eg riddler, freeze, bane etc etc. Constantine could also work or swamp thing. The key thing is not to think "bleak joker film works so every DC film needs to be bleak'

1 hour ago, The Drunkard said:

I  kind of hope the exact opposite. Even if I end up loving the Joker I feel like the style of this movie is very peculiar to the Joker, and the last thing I want is for more movies like this about other villains. Lets forget about universes about shared stories and go with standalones that fit the character.

On 10/5/2019 at 5:21 AM, red snow said:

It all depends on the characters and franchises being used. The mistake with superman and justice League was trying to make them fit a dark mold. I think Joker and Shazam have shown how you can get good films by being true to the character and spirit of the comic.

I could envisage a series of films focusing on batvillains eg riddler, freeze, bane etc etc. Constantine could also work or swamp thing. The key thing is not to think "bleak joker film works so every DC film needs to be bleak'

23 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I  kind of hope the exact opposite. Even if I end up loving the Joker I feel like the style of this movie is very peculiar to the Joker, and the last thing I want is for more movies like this about other villains. Lets forget about universes about shared stories and go with standalones that fit the character.

I agree with both, and it’s sad that someone in a Hollywood boardroom making a 7 figure salary won’t be able to understand this simple truth.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I'm still completely baffled as to why the fuck they put a Gary Glitter song on the soundtrack.

It's a bit of a troll move. Unless glitter doesn't get any of the money and it goes to a children's charity. At the very least they should be matching what they paid to use it for a charity.

Archived