DCEU: Killer Clowns from Gotham City

GallowKnight

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

For someone having so many lols you seem pretty irritated. 

In an argument if you state "I'll say whatever the fuck I want, for whatever fucking reason I want." You have lost the argument.

Oh, I was definitely irritated at Ice. 

Send me a memo of the new rules. I'll read up. Not sure what to do about those made up along the way, but I'll figure it out. 

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

Oh, I was definitely irritated at Ice. 

Send me a memo of the new rules. I'll read up. Not sure what to do about those made up along the way, but I'll figure it out. 

:P

Why so serious?

On 10/11/2019 at 7:15 PM, JEORDHl said:

Don't even bother with the women angle, dude. They're not a problem to society.

---

I don't know if I see a connection between films so much as a correlation between the radicalization of trademark angry little white supremacist and/or self professed incel misogynist types. It's them that we need to get a handle on.

If they can be triggered by excessive Fox or Ben Shapiro viewing, etc etc, and they can, why can't they likewise be triggered by a movie that attempts to validate a Joker type murderer? 

I'm going to take this one step further and repeat something I've tried to argue a few times in the last decade or so. Grand Theft Auto, and games it inspired, have had a hugely detrimental impact on society. 

23 minutes ago, Relic said:

I'm going to take this one step further and repeat something I've tried to argue a few times in the last decade or so. Grand Theft Auto, and games it inspired, have had a hugely detrimental impact on society. 

I know I've gone from opening my car door with my carkey, to just running up to cars and pulling people out and driving off. It's so much quicker and saves on car tax.

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You gonna condemn Homer too? 

I'm neither condemning, nor blaming any one thing. But nice try, pretty rote tho. I expect better from you. A tad more introspection and reflection on the ills of society, and all of that. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I know I've gone from opening my car door with my carkey, to just running up to cars and pulling people out and driving off. It's so much quicker and saves on car tax.

Honestly just because fantasies of mass shootings aren't part of YOU gaming experience, does not make that so for the less....stable individuals in our society. I would be really curious to see statistics on how many of the younger mass shooters were also games. 

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

Honestly just because fantasies of mass shootings aren't part of YOU gaming experience, does not make that so for the less....stable individuals in our society. I would be really curious to see statistics on how many of the younger mass shooters were also games. 

I'd be more interested in seeing the statistic for how many gamers are mass shooters.

3 hours ago, Relic said:

And how many of them read, or watched tv, or listen to that "deeevil" music. 

I dont belive there is a direct cause between art and violence, but i do think we can question and critique the need for certain points of view, and if they are valid and so on. 

Umm sure i can give you examples, though i thought it was a common thing to crtique art on a variety of issues and from very different frames. 

For example, under a femminist point of view you could criticize the usea of death women to motivate male protagonists on a search for emotional growth or his path to revenge, etc. 

Or, more to the point, the need to make, yet again, the story of how society fuck ooo so very much with white straight men. And if the movie is trying to, maybe, critique that, then in turn you can critique how did they did that,  and why is it necessary for another movie about this to be made. Specially when its a PoV that has been approched soo many times by the same type of people. 

4 hours ago, Relic said:

I'm neither condemning, nor blaming any one thing. But nice try, pretty rote tho. I expect better from you. A tad more introspection and reflection on the ills of society, and all of that. 

Hey Mike :)

---

Yeah, it's a really weird hill to die on. 

Anywho, I advance voted in our federal election this morning so that's about as much bullshit as I can handle for one day. Going to see Joker at a matinee tomorrow though.

38 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Umm sure i can give you examples, though i thought it was a common thing to crtique art on a variety of issues and from very different frames. 

For example, under a femminist point of view you could criticize the usea of death women to motivate male protagonists on a search for emotional growth or his path to revenge, etc. 

Or, more to the point, the need to make, yet again, the story of how society fuck ooo so very much with white straight men. And if the movie is trying to, maybe, critique that, then in turn you can critique how did they did that,  and why is it necessary for another movie about this to be made. Specially when its a PoV that has been approched soo many times by the same type of people. 

Yeah sure, I agree you can do all that of course. That doesn’t however make any of that criticism correct or even valid. Your second example for instance would be particularly eye rolling in relation to this movie.

Since this thread has drifted away from the movie anyway, I was catching up on Walking Dead the other day and realized that if society ever did totally collapse a lot of people's ideas about what to do and what was justifiable to protect your people would come from that stupid fucking show. 

9 hours ago, Relic said:

You clearly stated that you think Grand Theft Auto has had an adverse effect on society. How is that not condemnation?

Meanwhile Alexander of Macedon has a higher body count than every mass shooting Incel freak combined. The dude literally slept with tales of Troy under his pillow and modeled his life in mirror of Achilles. So I'll posit again. Is Homer responsible for the fall of the Achemenid Persian Empire and the dozens of successor conflicts after Alexander's death?

Is Alfred Thayer Mahan responsible for the deterioration of Ango-German relations that allowed the First World War to drag on for 4 years? 

Or are people and life maybe complicated things and pointing to a boogeyman you don't like as the cause of society's ills is a tad asinine?

Finally saw Joker. A pretty good movie, if disturbing. But I dug the more grounded, realistic approach and setting it in the 80s was a good choice. It makes me wish Todd Phillips decides to attempt this kind of realism for Batman.

Phoenix was excellent. I didn't care much for DeNiro, though. Sure he had a small role, but I mostly just saw DeNiro, and not the character he was playing. They could have had just about any other known name for that role.

There was an interesting cameo at the end, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what's up with that.

Spoiler

Clint Eastwood was on one of the TVs at the end.

The criticism I have seen is that although the movie makes sure to position white elites as the victims of Arthur, it's minorities that stoke his feelings of alienation - the teens that ridicule him early on happen to be black teens for example. This can still be a problematic way to depict it that isn't disarmed simply by making white men the victims that he actually kills, as those incel types being discussed earlier are very open to the narrative of minorities humiliating white men.

I don't recall the later details of what pisses him off and I have zero interest in this particular examination of the premise so it's not like I'm going to see it for myself up confirm. Just thought it was worth mentioning that as a separate point to the earlier discussion.

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

The criticism I have seen is that although the movie makes sure to position white elites as the victims of Arthur, it's minorities that stoke his feelings of alienation - the teens that ridicule him early on happen to be black teens for example. This can still be a problematic way to depict it that isn't disarmed simply by making white men the victims that he actually kills, as those incel types being discussed earlier are very open to the narrative of minorities humiliating white men.

I don't recall the later details of what pisses him off and I have zero interest in this particular examination of the premise so it's not like I'm going to see it for myself up confirm. Just thought it was worth mentioning that as a separate point to the earlier discussion.

Yeah that is an odd critique of the movie. It’s also not in any way  accurate as it blindly forgets all the white people who piss Arthur off, of which there are more. 

Archived