DCEU: Killer Clowns from Gotham City

GallowKnight

On 10/17/2019 at 2:14 AM, Kalbear said:

The problem I have is that this makes Joker so incredibly feeble as a villain and as anything. Having him be someone with actual mental illness who, if you gave him the right pills and counseling, would be a vaguely productive member of society is completely lame

Joker is a good villain because he is an embodiment of chaos and cruelty. The best example of this is from The Dark Knight, where Joker first tells his 'origin story' to someone about how his dad got to be a mean drunk and cut his face. Oh, you think, this is why he is the way he is, makes sense. But no - that was just bullshit, because later on he uses the same schtick with a completely different story. 

He just made it up. That's not why he is what he is. There is no 'why'. There isn't a need for understanding or a value in it. 

I guess they never say the medication was stopping him. That could just be his justification for doing what he does. Although i concede the film is trying to get us to draw the conclusion that cuts in social care create Jokers.

I'm with you on the multiple origins angle. I think the animated series and killing joke did the same thing and it really adds to the character as you don't know if any of them are true or could hold the seeds of truth. As an aside i think it's a bit lame in the comics there are (and always have been) three different jokers as it means they can split origins.

The film works better for me when viewed as one of the potential origins of the Joker but by no means the definitive one. I'd actually rather enjoy an anthology film of different origins but that's already been done in comic, film and animation and arguably the delivery as an anecdote is more chilling as we can create the images. Which is why ledger's versions were so good.

The Joker is now the most profitable comic book movie of all time

Shocking news, as it means there are clearly far more incels out there than anyone could have expected!

It does put the studios in a bit of an awkward position as I'm sure they will be scrambling to make some sort of sequel, but I can't really see how that's possible, ok maybe possible, but not something I'd want to see. This version of the Joker doesn't really seem to sit in any universe that has a Batman. Doesn't seem to fit.  Plus I wonder if Phoenix would want to come back for a franchise movie.

50 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The Joker is now the most profitable comic book movie of all time

Shocking news, as it means there are clearly far more incels out there than anyone could have expected!

It does put the studios in a bit of an awkward position as I'm sure they will be scrambling to make some sort of sequel, but I can't really see how that's possible, ok maybe possible, but not something I'd want to see. This version of the Joker doesn't really seem to sit in any universe that has a Batman. Doesn't seem to fit.  Plus I wonder if Phoenix would want to come back for a franchise movie.

I guess it was a cheap movie to make and the controversy probably saved a bit on marketing.

Might not need a sequel as such but could stick him in another film eg a batman film. 

And don't rule out them using the character from the film but not phoenix if cashgrab becomes impossible to resist.

A better option is for them to do more low cost character driven non-kid friendly films if they want to replicate success of Joker. The good thing is that DC has a lot of non powered crimefighters to play with eg the bat family, the Question and a lot of the vertigo properties that lend themselves to crime/antihero movies. 

20 minutes ago, red snow said:

I guess it was a cheap movie to make and the controversy probably saved a bit on marketing.

Might not need a sequel as such but could stick him in another film eg a batman film. 

And don't rule out them using the character from the film but not phoenix if cashgrab becomes impossible to resist.

A better option is for them to do more low cost character driven non-kid friendly films if they want to replicate success of Joker. The good thing is that DC has a lot of non powered crimefighters to play with eg the bat family, the Question and a lot of the vertigo properties that lend themselves to crime/antihero movies. 

The controversy certainly helped, as did the excellent reviews and word of mouth.

Youd have to suspect a lot of the outrage at the movie was manufactured by the studios. It’s hard to find anyone that seems to genuinely believe the Incel angle after watching the movie, so it’s strange that any mainstream reviewers even mentioned it. Maybe these days the best way to ensure box office success to layer political statements on top of your marketing,  no matter what those statements are.

Anyway, hopefully this will lead to more director led individual stories for DC, akin to Joker. I get the sense they were going in that direction anyway, and away from big bland blockbusters. The problem being that none of those movies could ever really join up or feel connected in the same way

57 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The controversy certainly helped, as did the excellent reviews and word of mouth.

Youd have to suspect a lot of the outrage at the movie was manufactured by the studios. It’s hard to find anyone that seems to genuinely believe the Incel angle after watching the movie, so it’s strange that any mainstream reviewers even mentioned it. Maybe these days the best way to ensure box office success to layer political statements on top of your marketing,  no matter what those statements are.

Anyway, hopefully this will lead to more director led individual stories for DC, akin to Joker. I get the sense they were going in that direction anyway, and away from big bland blockbusters. The problem being that none of those movies could ever really join up or feel connected in the same way

You just have to look at the exorcist to see how telling people not to watch something is usually a surefire way of making it more successful and studios have been using the approach for a long time. The irony is that the people who are genuinely offended and shout about it contribute to the film's success.

• 4 weeks later...

My understanding is that they do have an explanation, though whether its good or not is kind of up in the air.

Spoiler

Basically Maxwell Lord has a magic stone that grants wishes, and there's a lot of shenanigans resulting around that. In the trailer you see him holding the stone as well. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Still looks like a fun film, not necessarily a great Birds of Prey film. But we'll see.

Honestly no idea about what the movie is based on, but this looks promising & different, which I'm *all* for.

Archived