DCEU: Killer Clowns from Gotham City

GallowKnight

I saw it today. Definitely cemented me as more of a Mary Elizabeth Winstead guy over Margot Robbie, but half way through the movie I was hoping for more Birds of Prey and less Harley. 

Enjoyed it for the most part, it was fun, yet already a little bit forgettable. 

I don't know.

43 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I saw it today. Definitely cemented me as more of a Mary Elizabeth Winstead guy over Margot Robbie, but half way through the movie I was hoping for more Birds of Prey and less Harley. 

I don't know.

It's not a Birds of Prey film.  It's a Harley Quinn film that happens to have some of the Birds of Prey in it.

15 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

I don't know.

I've always thought MEW is horribly underrated. I know for horror fans, the Thing "sequel" she starred in is a blasphemy, but I found it, largely due to her, to be pretty, pretty good.

I enjoyed it but wouldn't say its great or anything, it's about the level of Deadpool 2.  Some things that stood out:

- Obi Wan is great as Black Mask.  Just nutty.  Similarly Zsasz was also great in a creepy way.  Loved how he was jealous of anyone or anything taking Black Mask's attention that wasn't him.

- Every scene with Huntress had absolute incredible comic timing.  Very well done.

- Montoya was...... not good.  Admittedly I'm not a Rosie Perez fan but she's terrible and mostly pointless in the movie.

- Very odd that in none of the movie do they even remotely worry that Batman is going to show up.  I guess he doesn't cover the East Side.

- Probably would have enjoyed it more but the cartoon that's running now is far superior.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:08 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I cant stand Robbie. Her accent drives me bonkers. Watch the much better animated Harry Quinn series instead. It's gold.

Can you imagine if as kids in the days of Super Friends we turned a channel and this came on?

I love the show, one of the funniest parts for me was 

Spoiler

Harley calling Damian Robin a "little shit".

I saw Birds of Prey. I wouldn't say it was necessarily anything special, but it was good fun and definitely a big improvement on the likes of Suicide Squad and Justice League.

The cast seemed to be having fun with their roles. Harley was the most memorable of the main characters, but I also liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead as the Huntress. Montoya was a bit dull, however, even the film points out that she's mostly a collection of cop movie cliches. Ewan MacGregor seemed to enjoy chewing the scenery as the main villain, I wouldn't say he's the most memorable of villains but at the least the final confrontation with him was refreshingly CGI-free for a superhero movie.

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, RumHam said:

What is it with Michael Keaton and confusing canon? Ah, the DCEU ... what a hot mess that is. A Frankenstein universe of whatever the hell sells. I only glanced at Infinite Crisis (Arrowverse) but it’s funny that those shows already bound Ezra Miller’s Flash and the Tim Burton Batman as being part of the same multiverse. I assume that universe survived? I don’t know. 

3 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I thought the universe that had the Keaton Batman in it kicked it in the CW Crisis since it showed the world where that reporter guy who had the hots for Vicky Vale being one of the casualties.

That’s what I thought but I wasn’t confident enough. I know people won’t care about what the Arrowverse did, but they signed off on Ezra Miller being in it. Now, how can we make this more confusing? Maybe Michael Caine as Keaton’s Alfred? Just to make absolutely sure nobody has the foggiest on what universe is what?

A film introduces actors with corresponding pseudonyms that the other actors often addresses them with. Making it clear what fictional character they are portraying in the picture. 

Children comprehend this.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:22 AM, DaveSumm said:

What is it with Michael Keaton and confusing canon? Ah, the DCEU ... what a hot mess that is. A Frankenstein universe of whatever the hell sells. I only glanced at Infinite Crisis (Arrowverse) but it’s funny that those shows already bound Ezra Miller’s Flash and the Tim Burton Batman as being part of the same multiverse. I assume that universe survived? I don’t know. 

This confusion is just making it accurate to the DC comics universe let's be honest.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

A film introduces actors with corresponding pseudonyms that the other actors often addresses them with. Making it clear what fictional character they are portraying in the picture. 

Children comprehend this.

It’s not who they’re playing that’s confusing, it’s the canon. Does Keaton’s Batman have the same backstory as the 89 film? Or is he just playing a generic Batman? Does The DCCU Flash remember meeting the DCTV Flash?

13 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

It’s not who they’re playing that’s confusing, it’s the canon. Does Keaton’s Batman have the same backstory as the 89 film? Or is he just playing a generic Batman? 

and if he is playing the same guy, do Batman Forever and Batman & Robin still count even though he was recast?

Who gives a fuck what 'counts' and what's 'cannon'? With Marvel I get it, they had this thing called a Cinematic Universe where all the movies were designed to be connected to a broader narrative.

DC tried that briefly, flamed out like the desperate fools they were, and now make singles. What is confusing about this cannon? None of it is connected because nobody knows what they're doing. The Tim Burton movies are connected because they have the same director and same actors. The Schumacher films are connected because of Schumacher and Robin. The Dark Knight Trilogy are connected because they were made by a real group of writers and a great director.

After that it's all gibberish and any attempt at cohesion is ex post facto. The actions of a fool attempting to justify their commitment to a brand.

THESE ARE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS AND I DEMAND ANSWERS!

no, as I said I don't even follow the DCEU (why not just U what exactly is extended about it?) I'm just curious because it's such a weird situation. 

I was under the impression that the Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney batman movies were all connected, but I might be wrong. I haven't seen them in decades.

40 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

The Dark Knight Trilogy are connected because they were made by a real group of writers and a great director.

It's funny how HBOMax has like every batman movie ever made except the good ones. 

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

THESE ARE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS AND I DEMAND ANSWERS!

no, as I said I don't even follow the DCEU (why not just U what exactly is extended about it?) I'm just curious because it's such a weird situation. 

I was under the impression that the Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney batman movies were all connected, but I might be wrong. I haven't seen them in decades.

It's funny how HBOMax has like every batman movie ever made except the good ones. 

I think they’ll ignore the Non-Burton ones. Harvey Dent somehow goes from Billy D Williams to Tommy Lee Jones

Archived