Video Games: Gears of Borderlands

Werthead

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

Nosedived? As of the last figures, the game was still getting 8-10 million players a week. That's only poor in comparison to Fortnite.

In critical terms, Apex Legends is probably the best-received battle royale so far (at least until last month's loot crate fiasco), although in overall popularity terms it's not going to put a dent in Fortnite. It's massively more popular than PLUKBAT though (about twenty times at the moment).

Last figures when? Five months ago, two months after release and with no further figures showing it has stabilised? Its twitch viewer counts has dropped drastically and is also below PUBG now. Not to mention the other non battle royale games such as CS, LoL, DOTA. I think its likely to go the way of EVOLVE eventually, except that EVOLVE had a free to play ace that sputtered out while Apex is already free to play.

Apex was well hyped. There was just not enough substance behind it.

Apparently TLoU2 will have dogs that accompany their masters as Ellie attempts to get by them, with the ability to catch her scent and flush her out depending on the direction she moves and where the dog is positioned. Sounds interesting, and will make navigating through swarms of hunters all the more challenging. Select media got to play about 2 hours of the game, and one guy said something along the lines of 'I've never been more conflicted when deciding to kill an enemy or not'. I guess he was alluding to how difficult/unpredictable it can be when you decide to engage your foe or not. That same candy-ass went on to drop a mini story spoiler in the next paragraph without warning so he can fuck right off.

51 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

What a tragedy, to be denied playing video games for two whole hours.

Does this mean everyone on Twitter is going to want to change to the Epic Store now?

I think it wasn't even one hour total.

Still, it does show that having all of your eggs in one basket could be a bad thing, especially as the outage happened in a way that also shut down Steam's not-really-reliable-anyway offline mode.

Entertainingly, as long as you have an Epic Store game installed, you can launch it from the .exe and it doesn't even load the launcher, so you can play it offline at will (unless it has 3rd party online checking stuff installed, or is a multiplayer title obvs).

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

People are fucking nuts.

I couldn't connect to Discord earlier when me and a friend wanted to play some TF2.  Instead of throwing a shit fit, we just used Steam chat instead,  

Life isn't hard.  Sometimes shit doesn't work, and then you do something else instead.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Entertainingly, as long as you have an Epic Store game installed, you can launch it from the .exe and it doesn't even load the launcher, so you can play it offline at will (unless it has 3rd party online checking stuff installed, or is a multiplayer title obvs).

I thought you could play any installed steam games offline? Other than always online games like Destiny and The Division. I know I've played a lot of Rimworld with airplane mode on. 

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

I thought you could play any installed steam games offline? Other than always online games like Destiny and The Division. I know I've played a lot of Rimworld with airplane mode on. 

That's never worked properly and during this outage it didn't happen at all. With Steam it still has to ping the server before allowing you to play in offline mode. During this outage even that functionality was lost, so Steam just refused to work at all, and none of the games that normally allow offline play would work (according to the reports anyway, the several games I tried all refused to load).

I heard the Epic Store doesn't do refunds (yet). Is this true? One more reason to not make an account on it for now.

No, because that would be illegal in most jurisdictions. Epic's current refund policy is the same as Steam: a refund for any reason within 14 days as long as the game has 2 or less hours of logged play time.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

That's never worked properly and during this outage it didn't happen at all. With Steam it still has to ping the server before allowing you to play in offline mode. During this outage even that functionality was lost, so Steam just refused to work at all, and none of the games that normally allow offline play would work (according to the reports anyway, the several games I tried all refused to load).

That's weird. Like I said if I put on airplane mode so there's no way to ping anything and start steam it just gives me a start in offline mode option I've never had a problem. I don't blame people for being a little mad, not cause they couldn't play games for 42 minutes but because apparently there's no true offline mode. 

In the wake of yet more PC issues, I finally took the plunge of bringing it in to Microcenter. The tech I was talking too agreed that based on what I said it mostly like is the motherboard, but they'll do a full diagnostic check of everything. If it is the motherboard, my board is too old to be straight replaced; I'll need to upgrade. And upgrading will mean new RAM (since I have DDR3 still) and a new CPU. I don't have a huge problem with that, I was thinking it was probably time to upgrade my CPU anyway. But this is going to be an expense I wasn't necessarily looking forward to having this soon. Fun times.

Also apparently Microcenter is so backed up it could be until Friday evening before they even get to the diagnostic check. Guess I'll have some time to get through my backlog of books.

So, apparently Travis Knight (Bumblebee, Kubo and the Two Strings) is all but confirmed to direct the Uncharted movie. If he actually sticks with the project, people about the biz reckon that's a pretty good sign. I say, maybe. Does he respect the source material and the source medium? I think that's important. Mike Newell directed Prince of Persia, and it didn't turn out to be as great as people hoped. Up to that point he was probably the director with the most Hollywood cred to have ever directed a video game adaptation, probably the one with the most cred since too.

But we live in a time where Angry Birds 2 actually got good reviews, so maybe there's hope. Trouble is it still failed, because despite getting far better reviews than the first, it did far worse at the box office. So we still don't have a critically and commercially successful video game adaptation.

Edit: Actually, I forgot about Det. Pikachu. We do have one critical and commercial success.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So, apparently Travis Knight (Bumblebee, Kubo and the Two Strings) is all but confirmed to direct the Uncharted movie. If he actually sticks with the project, people about the biz reckon that's a pretty good sign. I say, maybe. Does he respect the source material and the source medium? I think that's important. Mike Newell directed Prince of Persia, and it didn't turn out to be as great as people hoped. Up to that point he was probably the director with the most Hollywood cred to have ever directed a video game adaptation, probably the one with the most cred since too.

But we live in a time where Angry Birds 2 actually got good reviews, so maybe there's hope. Trouble is it still failed, because despite getting far better reviews than the first, it did far worse at the box office. So we still don't have a critically and commercially successful video game adaptation.

Edit: Actually, I forgot about Det. Pikachu. We do have one critical and commercial success.

Please tell me Pikachu was not a critical darling... it was a movie. Definitely a movie, and pretty good for a kids movie. But it was absolutely by no stretch of any imagination "good". There were technical issues with that film from the first scene.

Archived