Video Games: Gears of Borderlands

Werthead

Well, apparently I need to buy a new motherboard and CPU, which will also require replacing my RAM and upgrading my power supply. Time to do a bunch of research on the latest Intel and AMD stuff and decide just how much future-proofing I want to do.

At least my GTX-1070 is still fine, as are the SSD and HDs, and the cooling system. Plus the cables.

8 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Please tell me Pikachu was not a critical darling... it was a movie. Definitely a movie, and pretty good for a kids movie. But it was absolutely by no stretch of any imagination "good". There were technical issues with that film from the first scene.

68% on Rotten Tomatoes. I wouldn't say a critical darling, but regarded as decent for what it is, by critics whose only direct knowledge of Pokemon is likely to be Pokemon Go.

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

68% on Rotten Tomatoes. I wouldn't say a critical darling, but regarded as decent for what it is, by critics whose only direct knowledge of Pokemon is likely to be Pokemon Go.

That seems fair. It's definitely a watchable picture, I was just horrified at the idea of it being genuinely held in high esteem. That would be an affront to the medium.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:11 AM, RumHam said:

That's weird. Like I said if I put on airplane mode so there's no way to ping anything and start steam it just gives me a start in offline mode option I've never had a problem. I don't blame people for being a little mad, not cause they couldn't play games for 42 minutes but because apparently there's no true offline mode. 

I think what made a lot of people mad (me included) was the fact you couldn't do offline mode no matter what you did (I usually unhook ethernet cable, but even that didn't work). I don't care if I can't play a couple of hours, but the fact that offline mode isn't guaranteed tells me I bought way too many games that I likely won't be able to play in the future if/when Steam goes away.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:13 PM, Corvinus said:

I heard the Epic Store doesn't do refunds (yet). Is this true? One more reason to not make an account on it for now.

I have processed a refund from the Epic Store, so no. The process is a little janky, but it works. 

19 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I think what made a lot of people mad (me included) was the fact you couldn't do offline mode no matter what you did (I usually unhook ethernet cable, but even that didn't work). I don't care if I can't play a couple of hours, but the fact that offline mode isn't guaranteed tells me I bought way too many games that I likely won't be able to play in the future if/when Steam goes away.

I suggest importing your Steam library to GOG Connect. The only drawback is that a lot of Steam games aren't available on GOG so it won't work with all of them, but other than that, it provides a decent backup.

Getting Homeworld: Cataclysm (aka Emergence, as it's now known on GoG due to Blizzard copyright issues) to work properly has been a bit of a nightmare and involves changing registry keys, which is a bit yikes. But finally got it working nicely in widescreen. They really need to find a way of adding this to the Remaster roster.

Saw a recent comment suggesting that it's the only horror-RTS ever made, which I think is true. Very unsettling atmosphere that no other strategy game has ever matched.

On 10/4/2019 at 2:11 PM, Werthead said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 is arriving on the One True Format way quicker than expected, and will launch on 5 November (that's next month!).

And it will be an Epic Store exclusive! (for a month)

Kind of.  It's not really an Epic Games Store exclusive because you can buy it through the rockstar launcher for what seems to be the same deal as Epic but also you get two other games from Rockstar of your choice free other than GTAV.

On 10/4/2019 at 9:29 PM, Fez said:

Well, apparently I need to buy a new motherboard and CPU, which will also require replacing my RAM and upgrading my power supply. Time to do a bunch of research on the latest Intel and AMD stuff and decide just how much future-proofing I want to do.

At least my GTX-1070 is still fine, as are the SSD and HDs, and the cooling system. Plus the cables.

PC is fixed, works great. I played a little bit of Code Vein. That's a hell of a character creator.

I've run into a new problem though. I need to re-activate my Windows 10 license. When I try following the set directions to do so after replacing hardware, I just keeping getting an error message that the Windows activation servers are unavailable and I should try again later. I called customer support and they said I need to re-enter my old product key. Now I never bought Windows 10, I bought Windows 7 around 5 years ago and did the free upgrade to Windows 10. Customer support said I can use the Windows 7 product key, but I have no idea what that key is anymore. Apparently my records aren't very good. Is there anywhere that that key might've been saved?

It's the same SSD as before and Windows is still running on it, just not activated. And I have a Microsoft account that was linked to the previous version of the computer. Is there some file or account page buried somewhere that would've saved the key? I really don't fancy paying $140 for a new key after already shelling out $750 this week on the computer.

So I found the product key in my windows registry, but it didn't work. No idea why, but I just kept getting the error message that it was an invalid key. I called Microsoft and eventually got through to a person who, after I provided her with my proof of my purchase from 2014 of Windows and my receipt from Saturday of the new motherboard, generated a new product key for me for free. That key worked, my Windows is activated again, and hopefully I'm finally done with tech issue for a while and can get back to just playing games.

As a bonus, I got a free copy of The Outer Worlds (once it launches) and three months of Xbox Game Pass for PC from AMD for buying one of their CPUs (the Ryzen 5 3600X). I was almost certainly going to buy The Outer Worlds anyway, so that's a nice savings for me.

On 10/6/2019 at 2:29 AM, Slurktan said:

Kind of.  It's not really an Epic Games Store exclusive because you can buy it through the rockstar launcher for what seems to be the same deal as Epic but also you get two other games from Rockstar of your choice free other than GTAV.

Interesting that Rockstar and Microsoft seem to be playing off the Epic Store controversy to their own ends. Both the Rockstar launcher and the Windows 10 Store have got a lot of criticism from gamers, but now people seem to be eagerly using them if it means sticking it to Epic.

I'll probably wait for the Steam release in December for RDR2, as I doubt I'll be done with The Outer Worlds by then. Although that does mean that Steam RDR2 will be coming out almost simultaneously with Phoenix Point. Hmm.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Interesting that Rockstar and Microsoft seem to be playing off the Epic Store controversy to their own ends. Both the Rockstar launcher and the Windows 10 Store have got a lot of criticism from gamers, but now people seem to be eagerly using them if it means sticking it to Epic.

I'll probably wait for the Steam release in December for RDR2, as I doubt I'll be done with The Outer Worlds by then. Although that does mean that Steam RDR2 will be coming out almost simultaneously with Phoenix Point. Hmm.

The Windows 10 Store and the Xbox(beta) app for the PC are pieces of garbage.

I had to change to language of my OS to English including the date format to install certain games in English. 

On top of that it does not save download progress for me for some reason and I had to redownload Metro six or seven times.

They do not even create .exe files which means adding the games to Steam is rather difficult. 

I think people are mostly using it because the cost-benefit ratio of the Xbox Game Pass für PC is incredible right now especially if you upgraded an existing subscription(some people got a 2-3 years worth for 1 $/€ per month that way). 

The Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is even better if you have an Xbox One. 

Shameful behaviour by Blizzard in ko-towing to the Chinese government and banning a Hearthstone pro player for supporting the Hong Kong protests, stripping him of his prize money after winning a tournament.

Reports that Blizzard employees have rebelled against the move at their HQ, by covering up the "business values" statements engraved in the premises stating the company's support for fair values and freedom of speech.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

Shameful behaviour by Blizzard in ko-towing to the Chinese government and banning a Hearthstone pro player for supporting the Hong Kong protests, stripping him of his prize money after winning a tournament.

Reports that Blizzard employees have rebelled against the move at their HQ, by covering up the "business values" statements engraved in the premises stating the company's support for fair values and freedom of speech.

The player and both the interviewers who were there.

I suppose they didn't want the backlash the NBA and the usually favoured Houston Rockets got, but didn't they think about losing the support of others with that action?

*also its kow-tow 

I guess I have ended up downloading games more than playing them recently, given that my fairly new laptop's hard drive is dying and I have ended up moving to the decrepit old desktop PC instead. I have tried combing my Steam library for things that are not too demanding, but so far I had not been very successful at all. First I had some craving for tabletop adaptations, so I ended up downloading Bloodbowl 2. It crashed upon startup, unable to run on the PC, so I immediately erased it again. I then downloaded Space Hulk Ascension. That one worked, except parts of the UI being outside the monitor, but I found it played very clunky and lost interest after the tutorial. I then downloaded Lego Harry Potter because a certain Christmas gift I bought recently put brick-building back on my mind. It crashed when I tried to leave the first room. I finally downloaded Grand Ages Rome because I also had some craving for good old-fashioned city-building. This one worked, though with a bit of a lag and I noticed that the mouse wheel had essentially fossilized, making moving around the map a huge pain in the ass.

I want my laptop back... -.-

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

I uninstalled my Blizzard games and Battle.net. Debating deleting my account as well. 

On 10/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, Gorn said:

I suggest importing your Steam library to GOG Connect. The only drawback is that a lot of Steam games aren't available on GOG so it won't work with all of them, but other than that, it provides a decent backup.

I'll give it a go. The same thing happened with my Origin account the other day. Again, it's not so much the inconvenience of not playing when I wanted to, it's more the cynical fear that these companies have (and will likely use) the power of just shutting down what we've bought. We don't really own this shit anymore.

Archived