Video Games: Gears of Borderlands

Werthead

On 10/30/2019 at 10:21 AM, Inigima said:

You're in for a treat. What a phenomenal game.

I was bored out of my mind and gave up.

Deleted it. My backlog's empty.

Now to check out what Persona 5 The Royal is like on youtube.

Welp, sticking to FF7R, Nioh 2 and Cyberpunk next year.

20 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Hope you enjoy it. It’s a brilliant game imo. 

It's weird how i bought a PS4 last month primarily to play RDR2 but the Spidey combo was better value. I'm loving the spider-man game as I've been a lifelong fan of character and it uses the villains well. Since then I've been picking up a bunch of discount games (an advantage of ageing consoles) ; tomb raider, last of us, god of war 3, dawn horizon, edith finch, metro, battlefield all for £5-£13. 

RDR2 was finally below £20 yesterday but i didn't bite, largely due to friends saying the game is almost too "real" in that the long horse rides and micromanagement (having to wash, shave, dress etc) becomes a chore and gets in the way of the fun. I still intend to play the game and find out for myself but i know i quit GTA san andreas when i had a mission that involved driving sensibly in rush hour traffic and finding it ridiculous that i was using my entertainment time to experience dull real life scenarios. I may wind up playing the original again if i don't enjoy the sequel.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

It's weird how i bought a PS4 last month primarily to play RDR2 but the Spidey combo was better value. I'm loving the spider-man game as I've been a lifelong fan of character and it uses the villains well. Since then I've been picking up a bunch of discount games (an advantage of ageing consoles) ; tomb raider, last of us, god of war 3, dawn horizon, edith finch, metro, battlefield all for £5-£13. 

RDR2 was finally below £20 yesterday but i didn't bite, largely due to friends saying the game is almost too "real" in that the long horse rides and micromanagement (having to wash, shave, dress etc) becomes a chore and gets in the way of the fun. I still intend to play the game and find out for myself but i know i quit GTA san andreas when i had a mission that involved driving sensibly in rush hour traffic and finding it ridiculous that i was using my entertainment time to experience dull real life scenarios. I may wind up playing the original again if i don't enjoy the sequel.

I'm borderline obsessed with all three of these so I'd say you did well.

4 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I am really engaged with the free version of Destiny 2 on Steam. This type of game is so not me, but it's really fun.

Same.  I haven't played Destiny 2 in a long time, but I'm terrible at shooters and I'm generally not a fan of always being online on my console... but the Destiny games hit me just right.

Screw Blizzard. I deleted my account after their Hong Kong debacle and I have no regrets. I'm done with the company and their games until they enact real changes; not just half-assed apologies that don't mean anything (which all they did at Blizzcon).

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

Screw Blizzard. I deleted my account after their Hong Kong debacle and I have no regrets. I'm done with the company and their games until they enact real changes; not just half-assed apologies that don't mean anything (which all they did at Blizzcon).

I won’t pretend to know the politics of all the companies I utilize.  I’m afraid it’s a bit like knowing how the sausage is made. Not something I want to know.

Any company that deals internationally is going to walk a very fine line in a lot of areas.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:52 PM, Rhom said:

Same.  I haven't played Destiny 2 in a long time, but I'm terrible at shooters and I'm generally not a fan of always being online on my console... but the Destiny games hit me just right.

I realize when I play PVP (for bounties or whatever) how bad I am at shooters. When it's PvE, well, I'm not too shabby in this game. I like just pointing and spraying.

18 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I won’t pretend to know the politics of all the companies I utilize.  I’m afraid it’s a bit like knowing how the sausage is made. Not something I want to know.

Any company that deals internationally is going to walk a very fine line in a lot of areas.

In general, I agree. But Blizzard (and the NBA separately, recently) stepped way over the line. For those that don't know, they banned a Hearthstone player for a year (later reduced to 6 months) and retroactively revoked his prize money for winning a tournament after he made a statement in support of the Hong Kong protestors in his post-victory interview. They also fired both the esports broadcasters who were interviewing them, and they've subsequently been banning other streamers from tournaments when they've made statements in support of the banned player or the Hong Kong protestors.

I know the First Amendment does not apply to corporate entities, so Blizzard didn't actually break any laws (and they have a really vague clause in their EULA that lets them ban players and revoke prize money for pretty much anything). However, I can't forgive a company punishing free speech in support of an authoritarian regime that is trying to crack down on pro-democracy protestors.

Fuck Blizzard.

Also, the D4 demo was incredibly underwhelming to me. I suppose it's a pre-alpha and not out for four years (if they follow the D3 announcement to release schedule). But color me unimpressed to see items with "Offense" "Defense" and two dinky other stats. I'm a POE and Grim Dawn player and am used to layered, complex character customization. If they do another dumbed-down game like D3, it's going to be very disappointing. I can only hope that they havent integrated many systems at all, and the pitiful looking passive tree and skill selection are bandaids.

The combat looked smooth, which they always nail. 

Agreed that Blizzards politics suck. 

1 hour ago, Fez said:

In general, I agree. But Blizzard (and the NBA separately, recently) stepped way over the line. For those that don't know, they banned a Hearthstone player for a year (later reduced to 6 months) and retroactively revoked his prize money for winning a tournament after he made a statement in support of the Hong Kong protestors in his post-victory interview. They also fired both the esports broadcasters who were interviewing them, and they've subsequently been banning other streamers from tournaments when they've made statements in support of the banned player or the Hong Kong protestors.

I know the First Amendment does not apply to corporate entities, so Blizzard didn't actually break any laws (and they have a really vague clause in their EULA that lets them ban players and revoke prize money for pretty much anything). However, I can't forgive a company punishing free speech in support of an authoritarian regime that is trying to crack down on pro-democracy protestors.

Fuck Blizzard.

I'd pretend I was going to boycott Blizzard, but I haven't really been a fan of them for years now.  Overwatch did nothing for me.  It was like Team Fortress 2 except they cross bred it with a shitty MOBA.  No interest in (or, at this point in my life, time for) MMOs, so World of Warcraft is out, and I tried it back when it came out and it bored the fuck out of me then too.  Never been much of an ARPG fan either, so Diablo wasn't my cup of tea either, although I did play the first two games.

Last Blizzard games I remember truly enjoying were Warcraft II and Starcraft (plus Brood War), and those came out literally decades ago.  Warcraft 3 was okay but I don't think I ever finished it, and Starcraft 2 lost me with the bullshit three game release.  I played the first one but never bothered buying either sequel.  

So yeah, fuck Blizzard, but I wasn't buying their shit anyway.

On 10/31/2019 at 4:42 PM, Red Tiger said:

I was bored out of my mind and gave up. 

Deleted it. My backlog's empty.

Now to check out what Persona 5 The Royal is like on youtube.

Welp, sticking to FF7R, Nioh 2 and Cyberpunk next year. 

Wow. It's not for everyone but I didn't expect this level of distaste for it. Out of curiosity, how far in did you get before quitting?

12 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Wow. It's not for everyone but I didn't expect this level of distaste for it. Out of curiosity, how far in did you get before quitting?

I will say that it does take a few hours for that game to really get going.  

Beautiful game, though.

Archived