Jump to content
Werthead

Video Games: Gears of Borderlands

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Fez said:

At first, nothing happened, except that Windows Explorer (which I had open to confirm the filepath) crashed. Around a minute later, the game launched, very slowly. There was just a black screen for at least 30 seconds, and after all the game logos appeared, there was another wait for around a minute before the main menu loaded. When tried to load a saved game, it took almost three minutes before the game loaded. Once I was in the game, everything ran as it always did, except that when I tried to load into a new area, there was a black screen for over a minute and then the game just crashed.

Any thoughts?

I continue to suspect a hardware issue, 

That's what it sounds like to me. If you could have run it from the command line (especially in an elevated command prompt) I think security would be the issue, but this sounds like something specific to that hard drive. Probably the easiest thing to do is to switch the SATA cables of a known good hard drive with this one (even just swapping which ones they connect to) and see if it follows the drive or the cable. After that, you can switch the ports that the SATA cables connect to. Those two tests should tell you if it's a motherboard, cable or hard drive thing. My suspicion is that it's a hard drive issue, but this'll nail it down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Borderlands 3 looks fun. I don't need to have played the others to enjoy this right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mexal said:

Borderlands 3 looks fun. I don't need to have played the others to enjoy this right?

Nope. There are probably some references and whatnot, but it's just a fun shoot and loot game with some silliness.

Also, my son has a voiceover as a scientist who creates the rat mutants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Nope. There are probably some references and whatnot, but it's just a fun shoot and loot game with some silliness.

Also, my son has a voiceover as a scientist who creates the rat mutants. 

Hahaha amazing. Can't wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TW: Warhammer II, besides getting another DLC, with a couple more factions, also had a major free update. The Empire has gotten significant, rework, scrapping the Officers system, and getting an Elector Counts system, with mechanics such as Imperial Authority and Fealty, that allows you to unify the Empire peacefully or see it crumble in civil war. Additional settlements were added, too.

Edited by Corvinus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fez said:

A little while back, in the previous thread, I posted

and Kalbear suggested that it might be a security issue and that I should try running a game as an executable from the command line. Some things came up and I didn't have a chance to try it a while for a while. But I finally did try to launch a game (in this case, Catherine), and here's what happened:

At first, nothing happened, except that Windows Explorer (which I had open to confirm the filepath) crashed. Around a minute later, the game launched, very slowly. There was just a black screen for at least 30 seconds, and after all the game logos appeared, there was another wait for around a minute before the main menu loaded. When tried to load a saved game, it took almost three minutes before the game loaded. Once I was in the game, everything ran as it always did, except that when I tried to load into a new area, there was a black screen for over a minute and then the game just crashed.

Any thoughts?

I continue to suspect a hardware issue, but I'm not sure how to test whether its the drive, the motherboard port, or the SATA cable. Windows continues to say that everything about the drive is working as intended, and games sorted on the SSD and the 1TB HDD continue to work great.

Have you tried the chkdsk command?

here https://neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk/#From_My_Computer-5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mexal said:

Borderlands 3 looks fun. I don't need to have played the others to enjoy this right?

I love the series. I'm not sure what the third will bring to the table that the first two haven't. Seems to me, you could save yourself some money and just install the original on the cheap, because it's wildly entertaining and looks absolutely fantastic even if it's a couple years behind.

I'll pick up the third one in a few months once the price goes way down - not because it's not worth 60 bucks, but because I realized I never even beat the second, and should really start it over from scratch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

TW: Warhammer II, besides getting another DLC, with a couple more factions, also had a major free update. The Empire has gotten significant, rework, scrapping the Officers system, and getting an Elector Counts system, with mechanics such as Imperial Authority and Fealty, that allows you to unify the Empire peacefully or see it crumble in civil war. Additional settlements were added, too.

Really excited to try out these changes with my favourite faction. Even if some of them really just are reused from other mechanics other factions get.

Empire have the most interesting position in the game and leave you with so much variety in how you can play it’s about time they made their gameplay less vanilla.

Hopefully they will do something with Orks next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Well addicted to WoW classic... just like I was 15 years ago, though now I'm trying to juggle it with a job I care about, as well as family. You know, actual adult responsibilities. How the hell did this happen?!

Same. Vanilla WoW really is digital crack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Same. Vanilla WoW really is digital crack.

I ranked Deadmines with a pug for the first time in almost 15 years... took a couple hours and I loved every second of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I ranked Deadmines with a pug for the first time in almost 15 years... took a couple hours and I loved every second of it.

I'm having fun just leveling again. Questing in places like Ashenvale, Stonetalon etc. that I'd frankly almost forgot existed in the era of leveling thru dungeon finder.  The journey was always more fun to me than the destination, so vanilla is the perfect iteration of the game for me - an epic journey with a great sense of exploration, discovery, and just the right level of challenge.

To your point on the VC group - I've found the level of cooperation and helpfulness among the playerbase to be at an all-time high in Classic. Who knows how long that will last, but it's refreshing to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Nope. There are probably some references and whatnot, but it's just a fun shoot and loot game with some silliness.

Also, my son has a voiceover as a scientist who creates the rat mutants. 

One of my favorite game series. That is so awesome that your son has a part in it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I'm having fun just leveling again. Questing in places like Ashenvale, Stonetalon etc. that I'd frankly almost forgot existed in the era of leveling thru dungeon finder.  The journey was always more fun to me than the destination, so vanilla is the perfect iteration of the game for me - an epic journey with a great sense of exploration, discovery, and just the right level of challenge.

To your point on the VC group - I've found the level of cooperation and helpfulness among the playerbase to be at an all-time high in Classic. Who knows how long that will last, but it's refreshing to say the least.

I agree.  I have randomly grouped with so many people.  Befriended a priest who has far outleveled me and and she sends me larger bags when her tailoring levels up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was reading this article on 5 things modern WoW does better than classic

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/5-things-modern-world-of-warcraft-does-better-than-classic/

As someone who only played Wow about 8 years ago and then dropped out of the game due to having a sort of life I needed to keep up with, I was never really aware of many of the changes the game has made since then. But reading that article I feel kind of sad, and I get why Classic seems to be so popular again. There used to be something sort of satisfying about all the elements that designers seemed to have moved away from. 

The quest grind really had some sort of satisfaction simply because you just ground it out and were rewarded. I really enjoyed having to spend hours walking from one location to the next, and having to get to know people in order to do dungeons etc. I'm not sure I would have ever liked the retail version of the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if I'll be continuing on with FF XII: The Zodiac Age after fifteen or so hours. The basic combat is fun, especially in boss fights and hunts, and I like the gambit system, but this is a really grindy game, and I have less and less patience for that sort of thing as I grow older. The story is also all over the place; it seemed like it was heading in promising directions, but now it's just become a bunch of fetch quests and "travel here for no particular reason to be told that you should travel somewhere else for no particular reason." The main thing keeping me in is the character of Balthier, who's voice acting is excellent and who gets some great lines. The voice acting in general is quite good, minus Vaan, the main character, who I hope dies very soon. But I think overall this is the kind of game I would have loved ten years ago and spent 500 hours in, but which doesn't work as much for me anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Have you tried the chkdsk command?

here https://neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk/#From_My_Computer-5

 

Yes I did. No errors found.

I had an issue last December where Port 1 on my motherboard stopped working, and I kinda suspect another port on it is now failing as well. As opposed to the issue being the HDD itself or the SATA cable. I'm hoping to have some time this evening to start testing out various possibilities though. 

Really hoping it's not the motherboard though, since replacing that is a step beyond me. I'd probably have to reach out to a local tech store for help.

 

In the meantime, I've been playing Control, safely installed on my SSD, and damn that game is good. I think I'm nearing the end, though I do have a bunch of side missions left, and it's been a fantastic journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

One of my favorite game series. That is so awesome that your son has a part in it!

Yeah, it was great. I was really happy that Make a Wish was able to facilitate it and that he was healthy enough to do it. It was really neat - they brought the family down to their studio, gave them a big tour, and got to record in their studio and everything. Got to see the MoCap stuff too. They gave him a crazy amount of swag and copies of the new game as well - but he got to play it almost a year before it released and knew all about the new characters and bosses and everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Yeah, it was great. I was really happy that Make a Wish was able to facilitate it and that he was healthy enough to do it. It was really neat - they brought the family down to their studio, gave them a big tour, and got to record in their studio and everything. Got to see the MoCap stuff too. They gave him a crazy amount of swag and copies of the new game as well - but he got to play it almost a year before it released and knew all about the new characters and bosses and everything. 

That is great. Sorry it didn't happen under happier circumstances. What a great series to be a part of though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Fez said:

Yes I did. No errors found.

I had an issue last December where Port 1 on my motherboard stopped working, and I kinda suspect another port on it is now failing as well. As opposed to the issue being the HDD itself or the SATA cable. I'm hoping to have some time this evening to start testing out various possibilities though. 

Really hoping it's not the motherboard though, since replacing that is a step beyond me. I'd probably have to reach out to a local tech store for help.

Update: I replaced the SATA cable and changed which motherboard port it was connected to, and I did both at once because of how much of a pain it is to start changing stuff around in there (and, in the immediate future at least, it doesn't really matter to me which was cause the problem). And lo and behold, everything is working fine again. Crisis averted, for now.

If the problem was the cable, things are gravy.

If the problem was the port, that's now two failed ports on the motherboard and I don't have any more spare ones, which means the next time there's an issue I'm going to have to replace it. If I do need to get a new motherboard, what are the things I should be looking for in one and how do I make sure I get something compatible with all the hardware I currently have?

Also, if I do need to replace board, I figure I should probably just go ahead and replace the CPU as well at that point; I'm still rocking a I5-4690. But, unlike GPUs, I don't know much about CPUs. How far up the Intel product line should I go to make sure I'm future proofed for a while?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×