Video Games: Gears of Borderlands

Werthead

5 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You know The Force Unleashed came out like 10 years ago right? If a mediocre dalliance with Star Wars is what you're pining for.

Since they confirmed Fallen Order isn't a linear action game and has a branching story inspired by KotOR (for story and reactivity) and Jedi Outcast (for combat), with a strong Batman Arkham/Metroid approach to structure, not to mention the developers are highly competent, I'm a lot more interested in the game than I ever was in The Force Unleashed.

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Since they confirmed Fallen Order isn't a linear action game and has a branching story inspired by KotOR (for story and reactivity) and Jedi Outcast (for combat), with a strong Batman Arkham/Metroid approach to structure, not to mention the developers are highly competent, I'm a lot more interested in the game than I ever was in The Force Unleashed.

And it has side characters! And there's dialogue choices! And top-tier commitment to story as we've come to expect!

Oh, wait, all that shit was said about Anthem...

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You know The Force Unleashed came out like 10 years ago right? If a mediocre dalliance with Star Wars is what you're pining for.

I enjoyed it.  It wasn't great or anything, but it was pretty fun to wreck shit with the force for a few hours.  Never played the sequel, although I am pretty sure I got it from one Humble Bundle or another. 

Finished Arkham Asylum and it was really great throughout. 

I opened up the PS store to get Control and there's Ellie and a link to pre-order Last of Us 2.  So I did.

Control is ready to start after I finish my grapes.

11 hours ago, briantw said:

I enjoyed it.  It wasn't great or anything, but it was pretty fun to wreck shit with the force for a few hours.  Never played the sequel, although I am pretty sure I got it from one Humble Bundle or another. 

It was great. The sequel blew though. 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I’m ready.

I will second that. Very excited that it's a Q1 release (hope it stays that way). Also happy we can put the silly 'Joel died between the end of 1 and before 2 so now he's just a specter for Ellie' crap. Would they really off the main character off screen before the second installment comes out? C'mon... Got a nice glimpse of Tommy too. Can't wait to see and find out what's happened after the end of 1 as they obviously had a split in some way.

ETA: Looks like the game will be 2 discs.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

The Last of Us had probably the best ending of any game I've ever played.  Fucking loved it.  Wish more games had the balls to have an ending like that.  

That shit was dope. As a Nolanite nothing gets me going like a piece of media that hits the moment just right. 

9 hours ago, briantw said:

The Last of Us had probably the best ending of any game I've ever played.  Fucking loved it.  Wish more games had the balls to have an ending like that.  

It was exactly right.  Near perfect.

9 hours ago, briantw said:

I wish more things in any media had the balls to have an ending like that.

14 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Is there a reason to believe the game will be mediocre? Or is this just an "EA SUCKS" kneejerk reaction?

It looks exactly like a 10 year old game and... wait for it, it's published by EA.

But keep eating the pig slop.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:55 PM, Jace, Basilissa said:

And it has side characters! And there's dialogue choices! And top-tier commitment to story as we've come to expect!

Oh, wait, all that shit was said about Anthem...

Anthem was a microtransaction-driven multiplayer Destiny clone created by a company who signed a shit deal with EA who's spent more than a decade going steadily downhill. Absolutely no-one, including from the look of it most of the developers who worked on it, had any faith in it at all.

Fallen Order is a single-player, semi-open-world game inspired by the Arkham series (which was pretty good, Batmobile aside) and created by a company that (partially based on BioWare's fuck-ups) signed a much better deal with EA to give them more creative freedom, which is why the game wasn't cancelled along with every other promising Star Wars game EA had in development for the past few years. Respawn are also a decent company, having created the best battle royale game on the market with Apex Legend (not my cup of tea as a genre, but it's a tight game) and the best single-player FPS in at least a decade with Titanfall 2.

Fallen Order might still turn out to be crap (it appears to have QTEs, which is a dull design choice, and the most generic lead character imaginable), but at least on paper it has every chance of being reasonably decent.

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Anthem was a microtransaction-driven multiplayer Destiny clone created by a company who signed a shit deal with EA who's spent more than a decade going steadily downhill. Absolutely no-one, including from the look of it most of the developers who worked on it, had any faith in it at all.

Fallen Order is a single-player, semi-open-world game inspired by the Arkham series (which was pretty good, Batmobile aside) and created by a company that (partially based on BioWare's fuck-ups) signed a much better deal with EA to give them more creative freedom, which is why the game wasn't cancelled along with every other promising Star Wars game EA had in development for the past few years. Respawn are also a decent company, having created the best battle royale game on the market with Apex Legend (not my cup of tea as a genre, but it's a tight game) and the best single-player FPS in at least a decade with Titanfall 2.

Fallen Order might still turn out to be crap (it appears to have QTEs, which is a dull design choice, and the most generic lead character imaginable), but at least on paper it has every chance of being reasonably decent.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:01 PM, Werthead said:

Heading into the back end of the year with two clear games standing out to me: The Outer Worlds and Phoenix PointStar Wars Jedi: Fallen Order also looks like it could be decent.

I'm looking forward to The Outer Worlds. It seems like the game pass is really paying of so far. 

59 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It looks exactly like a 10 year old game and... wait for it, it's published by EA.

But keep eating the pig slop.

The demo looked good to me and the developers' comments on what they're going for sound interesting. I'm not saying it'll be an amazing or great game, but this never ending cynicism about video games is tiring. Let's wait and see what it's like at release before jumping to conclusions about whether or not it's pig slop. Two months before Anthem, EA released a well recieved game by this same studio, Apex; it's not my kind of game, but apparently it's quite good.

A few years ago, Ubisoft was the bad guy  in internet gaming discussions and they could do no right. Then they released a few well reviewed games and suddenly they're no longer Satan. The thing is that they were never Satan (at least no more than other companies in video game capitalism). They released some mediocre games based on a mediocre design philosophy and maybe got too greedy. So it goes. Bethesda released an apparently mediocre to bad game and they have since become a villain. That doesn't mean Elder Scrolls VI will suck. It's video games, a source of entertainment. Why does everything need to be so black and white with heroes and villains and heroes inevitably falling from grace? It's only a matter of time till it happens to CD Projekt Red when they commit the crime of publishing a video game that doesn't live up to expectations. 

24 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Two months before Anthem, EA released a well recieved game by this same studio, Apex; it's not my kind of game, but apparently it's quite good.

The popularity of Apex nose dived after the initial hype passed. It isn't a great example.

I'm on solid footing here. The last EA game I bought was Bejeweled maybe six years ago.

Archived