Video Games: Gears of Borderlands

Werthead

Finished up a 2nd playthrough of Jedi: Fallen Order on the hardest difficulty and it was super fun.  Difficult, but not impossibly so.  Less frustrating than my first playthrough since most of the difficulty came from the stupid puzzles.  Now it's on to the rest of my grown backlog.  Have HZD, Code Vein, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, God of War, or RE7.  Thinking Code Vein next....

After 6 months of not playing games (gave my PS4 to a friend for a while), I've been back into...

*The Last of Us - well, at first I wasn't super impressed. At first. The day after I finished the game, I preordered the sequel. Though a bit clunky in places, the atmosphere and the storyline really pick up in the 2nd half, and the moral consequences of the finale were pretty impactful (probably moreso in 2013 when this originally dropped). It feels like this was what God of War 4 was miming for most of its story. Anyways, a fantastic experience, and the gameplay for the sequel looks like much more of the same. This and Cyberpunk are my first preorders/first time I've considered dropping $60 for a new game.

*The Witcher 3 - Upon completing TLoU in early December, I returned to the world of Gerald for some unfinished business. I'd completed the main game before handing the PS4 over last summer; it took about a week to move through Heart of Stone and I'm now around 2/3rd or so into Blood and Wine. Though the game controls & combat felt initially janky (playing it after HZD and Nier: Auto, well, yeah--) the storytelling of W3, specifically the depth and extent of it, is just so impressive. Both of the DLCs have, IMO, better narratives than the main quest, and there's still so much on the map to do, with around 60 sidequests & contracts currently in my menu, after 110 hours. To no surprise, Cyberpunk 2077 is also preordered (managed to get it $10 off during Black Friday).

* In contrast, I picked up Assassin's Creed: Origins for $20 on an Xmas sale, played around 4 hours of it, and have put it away for now. The world is beautiful, but the contrast between TW3 and AC:O in terms of side-content and world development is pretty stark. I've never played an Ubisoft game, but have heard much about the "ubification" of open worlds on youtube and elsewhere; now I get it. I'll get back into it leisurely once TW3 is done, as I do like the general setting.

Bought Red Dead 2 in the Steam sale, so finally playing that. Mostly fun so far, but the suicidal numpties I hang round with made the initial story missions a bit annoying. The guy with me on the train couldn't wait to charge ahead and get himself killed. Dipshit.

And it's massively irritating to have the game whine at you to hurry up constantly while you're looting drawers and cupboards and bodies.

I'm still enjoying it, mind, and it's running pretty well on my laptop so far, no bugs encountered.

Archived