Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (spoilers)

Matrim Fox Cauthon

On 9/28/2019 at 6:10 PM, Triskele said:

I have another question for @Matrim Fox Cauthon or anyone who may know:

(1) Do we have any info from the lore of this world/story on why the urSkeks that were banished to Thra were banished to Thra specifically?  Anything to do with its suns or crystal?

(2) Also, the one Skeksis who's called Heretic, do we know exactly why he's so-called by the others Skeksis?  

(3) ETA:  Do we know why SkekUng who is such a presence in the film is not in the show yet?  Is he even referenced?

(1) The urSkeks apparently tried to use their world's Crystal for some unknown ends that the others of their people deemed folly, for which they were branded heretics, and exiled until they mastered their darker selves. (This comes from the Dark Crystal Wiki, which references the World of the Dark Crystal and Creation Myths Vol. 1 for this info.) The urSkeks had no desire to talk about it, because when they arrived on the planet, they pretended to be pilgrims and helpers to Thra. 

(2) SkekGra the Conqueror was rebranded "the Heretic" because following a vision from Thra they sought for the Skeksis to change their ways so that the skeksis could work on reunifying with their urRu halves. The skeksis did not like this turn-of-conscience and ousted him. 

(3) SkekUng is somewhere else in Thra. He is mentioned by name from several of the skeksis later in the season who are talking about the possibility of calling back to the castle SkekNa (the Slavemaster) and SkekUng, who is described as a strong warrior, and maybe another who I can't recall offhand. (It was not SkekShod the Treasurer, who remains unmentioned. I think it was either SkekLi or SkekSa.) Since SkekUng could not possibly become either the General before the death of SkekVar or the Garthim-Master before the creation of the garthim, which transpired at the end of season 1, this paves way for SkekUng to take up this dual position of General and Garthim-Master. 

Just watched both the movie and the series. Blown away at the beginning, although the series dragged a little bit at the end: became to grimdark and wannabe dramatic and backed off from the twee bits that made it great. Nevertheless, I want to see a Doctor Who crossover!

23 hours ago, charleois said:

Just watched both the movie and the series. Blown away at the beginning, although the series dragged a little bit at the end: became to grimdark and wannabe dramatic and backed off from the twee bits that made it great. Nevertheless, I want to see a Doctor Who crossover!

Ummmmm... how?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 10:55 AM, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

(1) The urSkeks apparently tried to use their world's Crystal for some unknown ends that the others of their people deemed folly, for which they were branded heretics, and exiled until they mastered their darker selves.

According to World, they were exiled for not being purely good, and chose to come to Thra to make use of the power of the Crystal and the Great Conjunction to purge the darkness from their souls. This didn't work out the way they planned, and instead of destroying their dark sides it split them into two separate beings. I haven't read Creation Myths yet, but I consider it a retcon while World and the novelisation were written in conjunction with the development of the film with Henson's input.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:55 AM, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

(2) SkekGra the Conqueror was rebranded "the Heretic" because following a vision from Thra they sought for the Skeksis to change their ways so that the skeksis could work on reunifying with their urRu halves. The skeksis did not like this turn-of-conscience and ousted him. 

I found that element a bit hard to swallow given the nature of the Skeksis. They shouldn't be capable of that sort of wisdom!

On 9/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, Triskele said:

I do not know anything about whether these sins were intended by Henson et al, but if it was, it's not hard for me to imagine why lust was conveniently left out as it's a fairly sexless kid's story.

Even as an adult, I'm very very glad that wasn't an aspect of the Skeksis! :ack: I get the impression the urSkeks were sexless beings, so it makes sense that their divided halves would be the same. There were no urSkek, urRu, or Skeksis babies in two thousand years.

I found the series visually stunning, and enjoyed the story on its own terms, but it didn't feel entirely compatible with the movie. The very beginning didn't help with that, talking about Skeksis instead of urSkeks and showing the Crystal out in the open instead of inside a mountain or crystal castle. The Prophecy not playing a role in the Skeksis declaring war on the Gelfling was particularly odd.

• 11 months later...

Archived