US Politics: Flaming the Flamenco Flamingo

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

the last thread ended on some evopsych prediction that all shall love trump and despair.  whatever.  evopsych losers are wrong.

Well, I wouldn't shit on the entire field of evolutionary psychology, that doesn't seem fair, but the notion that Rosenberg's paper/findings were somehow "shocking" or anything that hasn't well-established within the field - and discipline for that matter - for decades is just the latest example of political journalists misunderstanding academic research and drawing conclusions that are plainly inappropriate and out of context.

I see it was Trump himself who decided he should meet with the Taliban the week of the 9/11 anniversary. I wondered who could show such bad judgement - that took a nanosecond - and came to the conclusion Trump is such a narcissist he decided that he, The Greatest Negotiator in World History, would cut such an amazing deal people would forget 9/11 ever happened.

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, I wouldn't shit on the entire field of evolutionary psychology, that doesn't seem fair, but the notion that Rosenberg's paper/findings were somehow "shocking" or anything that hasn't well-established within the field - and discipline for that matter - for decades is just the latest example of political journalists misunderstanding academic research and drawing conclusions that are plainly inappropriate and out of context.

Listen man, you need at least one field to explain why chicks dig the bad boys.

10 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

So a bunch of refugee's from the Bahama's were kicked off the ferry while evacuating because the rules for entry changed.

This is supervillain levels of evil.

I don’t actually believe this is true, some information is missing. The US government and the Bahamian government coordinated the way Bahamians could get to the states and thousands have already left the islands. When coming to the US a Bahamian gets a visa waiver if they have a passport and have cleared the criminal record check, just like Canadians. The US Immigration people being interviewed today said the ferry operator did not follow procedures, so I assume the people being asked to get off the ferry did not have a passport, which should have been checked as they got on.

eta: as much as I loathe the Trump administration, I don’t think they changed any rules, and in fact they have sent more workers there to get people cleared quickly.

28 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I don’t actually believe this is true, some information is missing. The US government and the Bahamian government coordinated the way Bahamians could get to the states and thousands have already left the islands. When coming to the US a Bahamian gets a visa waiver if they have a passport and have cleared the criminal record check, just like Canadians. The US Immigration people being interviewed today said the ferry operator did not follow procedures, so I assume the people being asked to get off the ferry did not have a passport, which should have been checked as they got on.

eta: as much as I loathe the Trump administration, I don’t think they changed any rules, and in fact they have sent more workers there to get people cleared quickly.

Haven't looked into this but pretty sure that any refugee fleeing a natural disasters wouldn't be turned around for lack of passport.  Ya know, what with the natural disasters having a high likelihood of destroying or causing the loss of a passport.  But that's just a guess.  And Trump has tried to change other asylum rules repeatedly.

"House Democrats unveil impeachment probe parameters" 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/09/house-democrats-impeachment-probe-1486272

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/08/us/politics/impeachment-investigation-trump.html

OTOH, Pelosi will doubtless block all this.  I probably know why this won't happen but it's time to primary her.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

"House Democrats unveil impeachment probe parameters" 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/09/house-democrats-impeachment-probe-1486272

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/08/us/politics/impeachment-investigation-trump.html

OTOH, Pelosi will doubtless block all this.  I probably know why this won't happen but it's time to primary her.

Hasn't she already said she's not running again?

Eta:or maybe that was just about not being speaker after this congress

Three House panels have opened an investigation into whether Rudy Giuliani is trying to strong-arm the Ukrainian government into helping President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/congress-launches-probe-of-rudys-ukraine-scheme-to-boost-trumps-re-election

@larrytheimp   -- I think -- not sure, what she said is she was waiting to see how 2020 turned out as to whether she'd run again.  Whatever that meant!

12 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Haven't looked into this but pretty sure that any refugee fleeing a natural disasters wouldn't be turned around for lack of passport.  Ya know, what with the natural disasters having a high likelihood of destroying or causing the loss of a passport.  But that's just a guess.  And Trump has tried to change other asylum rules repeatedly.

Every person interviewed on CNN has mentioned their plane or helicopter comes back with passengers, because people are desperate to get off the islands. And they are not being turned back for a lack of a passport, if you don’t have a passport you get a visa. The US and Bahamian governments are set up to clear people and get them to the US. If the announcer has asked people without a visa to get off, I expect they don’t have a passport and had to get a visa. People in the Bahamas live on an island and know what they need to do to travel. I don’t care what the natural disaster has been anywhere, countries still ask you for your identity papers and if you don’t have any, give you another form of admission. The only exception I’ve ever seen was Merkel’s opening up Germany to a million refugees, and that made much of Germany pissed off afterwards.

You have to remember that the Bahamas is made up of more than 100 islands and Dorian only hit one section. There are still government offices with computers working, and telling your name and address  confirms who you are and where you are. For one thing, it means the government knows you aren’t dead so when your relatives look for you they can tell them you went to the US. Getting on a ferry without a very basic check-in would be incredibly stupid.

Thomas Piketty has a new book, Capital and Ideology, a followup to Capital in the 21st Century.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/09/thomas-pikettys-new-magnum-opus-published-on-thursday

Piketty’s new book – which runs to 1,232 pages and is as long as War and Peace – explores the ideas that have justified inequality down the ages, bemoans the ineffectiveness of the traditional parties of left and right at coming up with solutions for redistributing wealth, and advances his own ideas for making economies fairer. The book is released in France on Thursday but English language readers will have to wait until next March for the translation.

Among the proposals in the book are that employees should have 50% of the seats on company boards; that the voting power of even the largest shareholders should be capped at 10%; much higher taxes on property, rising to 90% for the largest estates; a lump sum capital allocation of €120,000 (just over £107,000) to everyone when they reach 25; and an individualised carbon tax calculated by a personalised card that would track each person’s contribution to global heating.

Another story trending today about treasonous Trump behavior of ruining a top covert assets (Spy) cover, because of information Trump gave Russians in his Oval office. Intelligence officials had to extract the spy after Trump compromised his/her cover to the Russians.

I don't know how you can come to any other conclusion than we have a traitor in the Presidency.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/09/politics/russia-us-spy-extracted/index.html

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Third post in that twitter thread has a video of the announcement that anyone without a visa needed to disembark. Maybe this was a mistake on the part of the ferry operator, or a miscommunication, but the Trump admin doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Another story trending today about treasonous Trump behavior of ruining a top covert assets (Spy) cover, because of information Trump gave Russians in his Oval office. Intelligence officials had to extract the spy after Trump compromised his/her cover to the Russians.

I don't know how you can come to any other conclusion than we have a traitor in the Presidency.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/09/politics/russia-us-spy-extracted/index.html

What a filthy mouthed comment!!!

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Every person interviewed on CNN has mentioned their plane or helicopter comes back with passengers, because people are desperate to get off the islands. And they are not being turned back for a lack of a passport, if you don’t have a passport you get a visa. The US and Bahamian governments are set up to clear people and get them to the US. If the announcer has asked people without a visa to get off, I expect they don’t have a passport and had to get a visa. People in the Bahamas live on an island and know what they need to do to travel. I don’t care what the natural disaster has been anywhere, countries still ask you for your identity papers and if you don’t have any, give you another form of admission. The only exception I’ve ever seen was Merkel’s opening up Germany to a million refugees, and that made much of Germany pissed off afterwards.

You have to remember that the Bahamas is made up of more than 100 islands and Dorian only hit one section. There are still government offices with computers working, and telling your name and address  confirms who you are and where you are. For one thing, it means the government knows you aren’t dead so when your relatives look for you they can tell them you went to the US. Getting on a ferry without a very basic check-in would be incredibly stupid.

Yes, what kind of idiot goes to any safe port in a storm or tries to escape death without following proper protocol!  Fucking idiots!

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

@larrytheimp   -- I think -- not sure, what she said is she was waiting to see how 2020 turned out as to whether she'd run again.  Whatever that meant!

She agreed to only serve a maximum of four more years as Speaker (so 2022).  She made no agreement regarding her seat as an MC.

Archived