US Politics: Flaming the Flamenco Flamingo

Fragile Bird

Klobuchar's got minus thoughts.

I wish the candidates would be asked if they are already making lists of candidates to fill all the gutted federal agency positions, which if filled are by interim appointments who are not only inexperienced, but those actively hostile to the mission of the agency.  This is a huge job for the incoming POTUS.

What's with Bernie's voice?

Harris has a sharper game than last time.

O o o Mr Biden O o o.

Shame on Buttigieg and Klobuchar.

I hope Buttigieg doesn't get close to the nomination, man's mad that he has to defend his policy proposal.

Edit - You would think one of these white dudes would have the foresight & self-awareness to say 'I'm not the best candidate to deal with racism', but nope. I know this is a presidential debate and you're supposed to sell yourself, but still.

Cory shure sounds good.

Harris directly confronted with questions about her past criminal enforcement behavior by a black woman journalist at an HBU.  She held it together.  Best of all, as with the previous section and the questions, the attending audience clearly is informed about all this and the candidates.

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

Edit - You would think one of these white dudes would have the foresight & self-awareness to say 'I'm not the best candidate to deal with racism', but nope.

I'm not sure why anyone would do that. They'd still have to answer the question, and prefacing their answer like that is essentially saying "Don't listen to what I have to say about this."

Just now, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm not sure why anyone would do that. They'd still have to answer the question, and prefacing their answer like that is essentially saying "Don't listen to what I have to say about this."

Yeah, I know no one is going to say that in a presidential debate where you're supposed to sell yourself, as I added to my previous statement. I still think there is a way to acknowledge that as a white dude you might not be the best person to deal with systemic racism ( again, not those specific words per se, but an acknowledgement of biases etc)  and not have it come off as 'don't listen to what I have to say'

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk about that, but even if you’re right, it will still help in unifying the party after the primary, assuming he wins.

You don't know about what?  Assuming it's me saying retail politics don't matter in the general.  So let me repeat, retail politics don't matter in the general.  Grip and grin is great in the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primaries, but that's because they are small states - and because the primary electorate of either party is significantly less than the general election electorate.  Pretty much all swing states (except I suppose New Hampshire) are much, much bigger states.  You don't do grip and grin in MI, PA, WI, FL, NC, AZ.  It's a horrible allocation of resources.  You try to get free media through rallies and the rest is ad buys.  That's why retail politics don't matter in the general.

So, does Biden look like he's had work done? He just looks ... not like I remember him.

And Kamela really hit me as insincere in her last talk. Yeah, we know you said Trump tweeted out the ammunition, and it was a good line. But not so good that you had to shoehorn it into the debate.

1 minute ago, Raja said:

Yeah, I know no one is going to say that in a presidential debate where you're supposed to sell yourself, as I added to my previous statement. I still think there is a way to acknowledge that as a white dude you might not be the best person to deal with systemic racism ( again, not those specific words per se, but an acknowledgement of biases etc)  and not have it come off as 'don't listen to what I have to say'

Yeah, I saw your edit after I'd already responded to your original post, so fair enough, and I take your meaning.

I still think they could allude to their position of privilege without making it seem like someone else has a better answer, perhaps by pointing out that they are speaking from a position of privilege, and making self-awareness part of the solution.

3 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

So, does Biden look like he's had work done? He just looks ... not like I remember him.

And Kamela really hit me as insincere in her last talk. Yeah, we know you said Trump tweeted out the ammunition, and it was a good line. But not so good that you had to shoehorn it into the debate.

Harris is like all over the place tonight. 

Just now, Zorral said:

Why isn't Warren getting time / questions?  Or is this merely my impression?

I also think Biden comes across as contentless in comparison to anyone else on this stage.

Warren has barely had any time.

5 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Yeah, I saw your edit after I'd already responded to your original post, so fair enough, and I take your meaning.

I still think they could allude to their position of privilege without making it seem like someone else has a better answer, perhaps by pointing out that they are speaking from a position of privilege, and making self-awareness part of the solution.

Yeah, I totally agree with that, you basically phrased it better than I could!

Archived