US Politics: Flaming the Flamenco Flamingo

Fragile Bird

I voted for Hilary. I am a registered republican.

I have thought about changing to independent.

I could not believe that a tv reality show dude actually became the President of the USA.

That my brethren implies america has a problem.

American's elected their president.

Kinda like those religious vows for better or worse. Yuk!

24 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I'm just going to assume you all did a bad bunch of drugs.

:blush:The all wise and knowing google search supplied --- the Electoral College consists of 538 electors. A majority of 270 electoral votes is required to elect the President. Your state's entitled allotment of electors equals the number of members in its Congressional delegation: one for each member in the House of Representatives plus two for your Senators.

American's elected a tv reality personality as their president.

Who is gonna be USA's next commander in chief? Shye, I just paid $2.15 a gallon for unleaded gas --- get rid of the old and bring in the new.

13 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Who is gonna be USA's next commander in chief? Shye, I just paid $2.15 a gallon for unleaded gas --- get rid of the old and bring in the new.

Bah, I just paid $5.60 in your money ($8.75 in my money). Cry me a river.

7 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

The Education Department has rejected 53,339 of the 54,000 applications for its loan forgiveness program.

The above is a partial quote by @Bonnot OG .

Let us bring it down to personal activity. Did your parents have a tuition plan? Are you one of the young adults who frekked round for two or more semesters.

Yes, there are individuals who attend class and meet requirements. Shyte, wtf do I know, parents can't get access to their child's academic records and the internet makes it possible to not actually be in class.

Old school. I worked at a community college. Benefit package was my child could attend tuition free, except for books and lab, if my child maintained a C average. I ended up paying for two semesters of lunch plus the book and lab fee.

That is the problem with free tuition. Sounds good. Yeah, some individuals are going to hunker down and study and pass their classes. Other individuals however are gonna mess a round cause it is free.

What are you even talking about? What does your last point have to do with your first? I don't get too mad on the internet, but your inability to think really frustrates me.

On 9/12/2019 at 9:28 PM, sologdin said:

the convention on refugees does not include a first country rule, as i recall it, though some states have agitated for it.  the US insistence on considering refugee status 'discretionary' is manifestly unlawful.

That whole "they passed through another perfectly fine country first so they are economic migrants" is straight out of the Australian racist lexicon that's been used for the last 15 years. Especially the bolded phrase. So much of the evil we're seeing across the world on this front was pioneered (in the modern world) by Australia and shown that you can get way with it. Fuck us.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:06 AM, The Great Unwashed said:

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot for the life of me understand why more businesses don't throw their support behind universal healthcare. I mean, I can understand why the healthcare industry doesn't want it, and why businesses that already don't offer insurance to their employees wouldn't want it either.

They have made the calculation that maintaining the broken spirit of Labor in respect to job mobility and power in the negotiation process is worth more to them than the direct monetary saving they would have. Fear of losing health insurance has a colossal freezing effect on job mobility and look at how much worse the situation is for workers in the US compared to elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Darzin said:

Not so much can't as won't because Trump has no one who is going to overthrow the government for him and he sure as hell isn't doing it himself because he's lazy and because no man rules alone. As much as I think the Electoral College is a bad system it's actually pretty good at preventing  dictatorial power grabs because technically voters and the previous president have no say it's all up the electors and if states don't certify they also don't get a congressional delegation.  

The Republican party apparatus will do it for him even when he's too incompetent to do it himself. They have demonstrated so many times over and over the last 3 years alone that they will bow to whoever gives them power and they respect no rules or conventions in their fight to attain it.

For fucks sake the NC Republicans used a Nine fucking Eleven memorial to get Democrats out of the way to pass a veto override. These are the same assholes that have spent 18 years shouting constantly about the need to respect those that died, respect the troops, respect the sacrifice, praise the military, damn all muslims because of this thing that in reality they care so little about that they'll spit in its face like that.

They will purge likely Dem voters from the roles, they will make a bunch of them cast provisional ballots which will never be counted, they will restrict the availability of polling places so that black Americans have to wait in the snow for literal hours just to cast a vote, they will pass voter ID laws and then make it near impossible for likely Dem voters to gain the required ID. And when all of that still fails to gift them the Presidency they will use the supreme court, which is conveniently stacked with an openly compromised justice who had over a quarter of a million dollars of debt mysteriously cleared just before his nomination alongside other ideologues, to plant their man on the Presidency anyway. And as long as America sits there and says "well he hasn't explicitly said this is a coup so I guess this is still fine" then they will continue even further and that's where you get the possibility of a 3rd "term".

It doesn't happen in a single bound, but it is happening and it is still making headway despite the best efforts of some to resist it.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Bah, I just paid $5.60 in your money ($8.75 in my money). Cry me a river.

I was about to say the same thing, but got delayed looking up how many litres there are to a gallon. Seriously, petrol that is 80 cents a litre? I'd kill for that.

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

That's what the optimistic sorts, the scared sorts, etc. keep saying prior to the escalation to the next level

Wait, the "scared sorts" are the ones who aren't pissing their pants about Trump somehow successfully staying in office after a decisive loss?  That's rich.

The actual worry in 2020 among reasonable adults is voter suppression tactics along with Russia/outside forces manipulating the vote not only through the same type of social media propaganda campaign they did last time, but also through hacking all the damn machines that a lot of states still depend upon for a lot of results.  I don't know why there wasn't a nationwide effort to make every precinct in the country count through paper ballots, cost be damned.  I'll take the old school version of election fraud over the potential for mass manipulation in machines "reporting" results all day every day.  Reminds me of a great quote from Boss Tweed's character in Gangs of New York:  "Remember the first rule of politics.  The ballots don't make the results, the counters make the results.  The counters.  Keep counting."

Standing at the polling stations with guns is an excellent voter repression tactic.  There's lots of experience in this nation with that one too.  It's called scaring the voter.  A very large number of voters are already scared, which is why they're in denial of what others here have described that is already being done to coup the nation. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Wait, the "scared sorts" are the ones who aren't pissing their pants about Trump somehow successfully staying in office after a decisive loss?  That's rich.

You are interpreting scared in this situation inaccurately, in other words.  Saying it can't happen here is what was meant, which some posters did understand.

23 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Standing at the polling stations with guns is an excellent voter repression tactic.  There's lots of experience in this nation with that one too.  It's called scaring the voter.  A very large number of voters are already scared, which is why they're in denial of what others here have described that is already being done to coup the nation. 

Uh, voter suppression tactics had absolutely nothing to do with the portion of your post I quoted and responded to.  Stop pretending it does.  Trump refusing to leave office after a decisive loss and voter suppression tactics are two distinct issues.   The first one is for hand-wringers and conspiracy theorists, the second one is just a matter of how much and how brazen the GOP will be in employing them.

29 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You are interpreting scared in this situation inaccurately, in other words.  Saying it can't happen here is what was meant, which some posters did understand.

What?  How is asserting the people who are saying "I'm not too worried about this dystopian fantasy you're portending" are the scared ones the "accurate" way of interpreting the situation?

59 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Triple crown winner American Pharaoh has bitten Mike Pence. That is all.     

It is not all! We the peeps demand the Obamas' Netflix and book deals need absolute and thorough federal investigation for all the the things that are wrong that there are these deals that are criminal!

16 hours ago, Triskele said:

This is truly incoherent, and higher education funding writ large is a separate issue from whether this one program signed into law in 2007 is being administered well or not.  

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

He’s not TALKING to you! He’s talking to bonot og!

14 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

What are you even talking about? What does your last point have to do with your first? I don't get too mad on the internet, but your inability to think really frustrates me.

Democratic presidential candidates yammering about medicare for all and free tuition is idiotic.

Neither will work. It does however appeal to the masses.

Medicare is not free.

Giving carte blanche free college tuition is insane.

Somehow or another a tv reality star became the president of the usa.

Regulars on this site poo poo anything that shakes their world view. US politics is the basic premise and carries on through the multiple reinvented threads.

Biden was a joke as vp. Obama's health care plan was a joke.

Five year plan --- insured poor folk with a steady increasing premium and had a penalty for those who did not buy into it.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

It is not all! We the peeps demand the Obamas' Netflix and book deals need absolute and thorough federal investigation for all the the things that are wrong that there are these deals that are criminal!

Update! The guy who manages the farm where they pimp this pony out at says he doesn’t think he bit Pence. Scandalous!!!

6 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Democratic presidential candidates yammering about medicare for all and free tuition is idiotic.

Neither will work. It does however appeal to the masses.

Medicare is not free.

Giving carte blanche free college tuition is insane.

Oh my, I'm convinced. What an erudite, witty, and cogent argument that you've made here. You've understood the MoA policy by way of literal reading of the name and simply called the other insane. Why?

7 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

We pretty much do.  That's why it's so cheap 

Yeah I had the same thought when reading the post. The choice of wording strikes a bit off when you consider that context.

Archived