US Politics: Flaming the Flamenco Flamingo

Fragile Bird

18 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Democratic presidential candidates yammering about medicare for all and free tuition is idiotic.

Neither will work. It does however appeal to the masses.

Medicare is not free.

Giving carte blanche free college tuition is insane.

Somehow or another a tv reality star became the president of the usa.

Regulars on this site poo poo anything that shakes their world view. US politics is the basic premise and carries on through the multiple reinvented threads.

Biden was a joke as vp. Obama's health care plan was a joke.

Five year plan --- insured poor folk with a steady increasing premium and had a penalty for those who did not buy into it.

Ok let me explain medicare for all.  Most of us already have insurance, right?  

So instead of paying Kaiser permamente, who takes my money and laughs because I'm healthy, all my insurance money (and what my employer pays), would go straight to medicare.  Then I would be on medicare.  Medicare (who already has the lowest costs of any insurance program) would then have money from me, and everyone like me, to pay for my retired mom and people like her.

We already pay for crappy insurance.  I'd rather pay for real health care.

And then its just the choice of is this made an option for everyone to choose, or just force everyone to use it and put an end to the blood sucking leaches of the health insurance world who add no value.

Last night's Elizabeth Warren rally was in the nabe.  The applause and cheers were loud enough to be heard on the other side of Houston Street.  But The NY Times truly down played it.  The NY Daily News didn't even post a piece about it.

Mayor Bill didn't make an appearance, presumably because he seems to think he's still going to be the Dem nom for POTUS.

13 hours ago, Week said:

Oh my, I'm convinced. What an erudite, witty, and cogent argument that you've made here. You've understood the MoA policy by way of literal reading of the name and simply called the other insane. Why?

Now, now, be fair. At least he didn’t do so whilst also waxing poetically about female privilege in broken English with some causal racism on the side. So progress?

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Last night's Elizabeth Warren rally was in the nabe.  The applause and cheers were loud enough to be heard on the other side of Houston Street.  But The NY Times truly down played it.  The NY Daily News didn't even post a piece about it.

Mayor Bill didn't make an appearance, presumably because he seems to think he's still going to be the Dem nom for POTUS.

Not a chance in hell DeBlazio(sp) gets added to the ticket. Is the NYC vote really not already safely blue? NY mayor adds nothing to a Dem ticket.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Not a chance in hell DeBlazio(sp) gets added to the ticket. Is the NYC vote really not already safely blue? NY mayor adds nothing to a Dem ticket.

NYers won't even vote for de Blasio for pres nom.  They don't hate him the way we have always despised you know who.  But his record as mayor has been, shall we say, less than stellar -- and as much as Bloomberg, he's never met a development plan he couldn't find something really good about.

18 hours ago, Week said:

Oh my, I'm convinced. What an erudite, witty, and cogent argument that you've made here. You've understood the MoA policy by way of literal reading of the name and simply called the other insane. Why?

Oh my, I didn't try to convince you of nuttin.

I suppose I need to my research and learn what MoA is.

6 hours ago, argonak said:

Ok let me explain medicare for all.  Most of us already have insurance, right?  

Do most of americans have health insurance? That was what the affordable care act was supposedly about. Except the poor folk premiums started low, and continued to rise. Plus if individuals did not by in there was a penalty. That of course takes into consideration people actually filed tax returns with the irs.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Now, now, be fair. At least he didn’t do so whilst also waxing poetically about female privilege in broken English with some causal racism on the side. So progress?

I love me a bit of sarcasm,

4 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Do most of americans have health insurance? That was what the affordable care act was supposedly about. Except the poor folk premiums started low, and continued to rise. Plus if individuals did not by in there was a penalty. That of course takes into consideration people actually filed tax returns with the irs.

Does it matter? 2 elements take care of that: $0 payments/ premiums for those below a certain income threshold, and an opt-in system with universal acceptance and coverage of those who choose to opt in.

Don't know why free university tuition is claimed to be insane, since many countries do it and they seem to be doing fine. Heck, you can go to Germany as a foreign national and get a tuition-free college education, in English. If Germany can offer that to foreigners I would think pretty much any country can implement tuition-free university for its own citizens, if there's the political will.

7 hours ago, argonak said:

We already pay for crappy insurance.  I'd rather pay for real health care.

You already pay for crappy insurance. You would rather pay for real health care.

How are the president, and the Senators who represent their entire states, and members of the House who represent individual districts gonna do the kumbaya?

FFS the electoral college voted in a tv reality show host as president.

21 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Oh my, I didn't try to convince you of nuttin.

I suppose I need to my research and learn what MoA is.

It is a good idea to generally know something about what you're talking about before declaring it 'idiotic' and 'not working'.

There are legitimate debates to be had about the Sanders bill, but you're not making those arguments here.

25 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Do most of americans have health insurance? That was what the affordable care act was supposedly about.

Well, if you just looked at basic, easy-as-fuck-to-look-up facts, you would know that the number of uninsured Americans went down drastically once the ACA was implemented:

Despite the increase Gallup found in its survey, the rate of adults without insurance remains well below a peak hit in the third quarter of 2013, when 18 percent of U.S. adults lacked health insurance, according to the researcher’s data. This was right before health insurance exchanges authorized under President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, were opened nationwide in October 2013.

Since 2013, the percentage of uninsured young adults has dropped sharply.

Now, the number of uninsured has ticked up since the first quarter of 2017.  Now, what happened quarter of 2017 to stem the tide?  Hmm...

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Does it matter? 2 elements take care of that: $0 payments/ premiums for those below a certain income threshold, and an opt-in system with universal acceptance and coverage of those who choose to opt in.

Don't know why free university tuition is claimed to be insane, since many countries do it and they seem to be doing fine. Heck, you can go to Germany as a foreign national and get a tuition-free college education, in English. If Germany can offer that to foreigners I would think pretty much any country can implement tuition-free university for its own citizens, if there's the political will.

I'm sure in financial terms the USA and New Zealand could do it. but "pretty much any country" is a rather overblown statement as the majority of countries in the world are a lot less rich than Germany. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Well, if you just looked at basic, easy-as-fuck-to-look-up facts, you would know that the number of uninsured Americans went down drastically once the ACA was implemented:

Now, the number of uninsured has ticked up since the first quarter of 2017.  Now, what happened quarter of 2017 to stem the tide?  Hmm...

It was cuz Tool announced a new album was forthcoming right?  Extra-credit me Prof!

38 minutes ago, Zorral said:

They are really trying to kill Us.

Among the many dreadful newses that came down today regarding These monsters is this:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/17/epa-california-obama-waiver-1500336

"EPA to revoke California’s power to limit vehicle emissions"

Also to sell carbon credits.

Manufacturer's Rights!!!!

The question is, who wants to get rid of the the California emissions standards? Not the car manufacturers.

It seems the Koch brothers have been behind many attacks on energy efficiency. Hey, vehicles should burn more gas! 

The Koch brothers are also apparently behind an organization asking that Energy Star be defunded. The reports on 25 different appliances are months behind schedule. The EPA wants to get rid of energy efficiency regulations. Manufacturers say the government wants 20 year old inefficient technology back in America’s kitchens.

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

I'm sure in financial terms the USA and New Zealand could do it. but "pretty much any country" is a rather overblown statement as the majority of countries in the world are a lot less rich than Germany. 

I would argue developing countries get more benefit from free education than developed countries.  A big problem is the quarterly and annual reporting cycles that lead to short term thinking on govt spending.

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The question is, who wants to get rid of the the California emissions standards? Not the car manufacturers.

It seems the Koch brothers have been behind many attacks on energy efficiency. Hey, vehicles should burn more gas! 

The Koch brothers are also apparently behind an organization asking that Energy Star be defunded. The reports on 25 different appliances are months behind schedule. The EPA wants to get rid of energy efficiency regulations. Manufacturers say the government wants 20 year old inefficient technology back in America’s kitchens.

[pedant] There's only one brother now [/pedant]

Hopefully that number will reduce further ASAP

6 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

[pedant] There's only one brother now [/pedant]

Hopefully that number will reduce further ASAP

[pedant] There were 4 Koch brothers and 3 are still alive and kicking [pedant]

Yes, one of the politically active ones died. But the organizations were backed by the Koch brothers, plural. Does one now say ‘the organizations were backed by the Koch brothers’ as if they once were and are no longer  backed up by a Koch? Does one say the organizations are backed up by a Koch brother, singular, when they were backed up by the brothers plural and are doing what they do because of the brothers, plural?

Do you not think the dead brother has a foundation that is continuing to support his pet projects for decades to come? Does one have to start saying ‘a Koch brother and a Koch foundation’? 

I think I’ll stick with the Koch brothers. :) 

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I would argue developing countries get more benefit from free education than developed countries.  A big problem is the quarterly and annual reporting cycles that lead to short term thinking on govt spending.

If you can't afford something in the first place, whether or not you would "get more benefit" from it is irrelevant. I would assume countries like Liberia and Haiti need to first spend money on making sure their populations don't starve to death before they can afford universal higher education benefits.

Archived