US Politics: Flaming the Flamenco Flamingo

Fragile Bird

48 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Trump is going after the homeless and putting them in concentration camps as well. We’re fine.

Sheesh, even the days of work houses each parish made its own rules about who went and for how long.

40 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

In don't want to seem ageist or wish someone dead, but do you think Bolton will be too old or dead by the time the next Republican President gets to appoint a National Security Adviser? I thought he'd be too old this time around, but I was obviously wrong.

Old EviLe Doers never die; they only fade away ... for ... a ... time ....  Unless a stake goes into the heart and the head's cut off.  Kissinger's still floating around even, like a turd that won't flush.

5 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

He keeps saying this about extending his term . He’s not joking. He’s a straight up fascist dictator. 

Given his assorted health and mental issues, I suspect Trump may not be a viable candidate for 2020, let alone 2024.  

Special elections are happening for North Carolina's 3rd and 9th districts. The Republican easily won the 3rd district, as expected, but MacCready is making a race of it for the 9th yet again. It'll most likely take another month to go through the recounts before a winner is declared, but based on how the outstanding vote totals are distributed, I'm going to call MacCready winning the district.

ETA: I guess it wouldn't technically count as a flip since it's currently an open seat, but it's been a Republican-held district since forever and a day.

ETA 2: Well, guess my prognosticatin' skills is off.

Someone just posted a story on Facebook saying the FEMA official in charge of power restoration in Puerto Rico after the hurricane and the former CEO of that Cobra Energy company that got the billion dollar contract have been arrested by the FBI, together with a second FEMA official, and charged with enriching themselves and the defrauding the federal government.

No swamp there, no siree!

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Someone just posted a story on Facebook saying the FEMA official in charge of power restoration in Puerto Rico after the hurricane and the former CEO of that Cobra Energy company that got the billion dollar contract have been arrested by the FBI, together with a second FEMA official, and charged with enriching themselves and the defrauding the federal government.

No swamp there, no siree!

Just Puerto Rico so who cares?  It's destiny is to be a resort - second, uninhabited home site for the obscenely global wealthy.  Don't want none of those actual people who live there to live there -- with the small exception of the servants slaves.  Really, look at how Puerto Rico taxes corps and obscene wealth.

California Passes Ride-Share Bill That Could Upend the Gig Economy

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/california-ride-share-bill-gig-economy-uber-lyft-contractor-employee.html

California lawmakers passed a bill Tuesday that would make it harder for ride-hailing and food delivery companies to classify their workers as independent contractors, a stipulation that has been at the heart of the gig economy. The 29 to 11 vote in the State Senate advances the bill—formally known as AB5 or Assembly Bill 5—that could impact more than a million workers in the state, reclassifying many of them as employees rather than contractors. The change in status would mean drivers would be entitled to a raft of employee rights and benefits, including wage minimums, health benefits, and paid leave. The bill has been heavily opposed by ride-sharing behemoths as it could lead the way for other state regulation, threatening to upend the tech companies business model.

The impact of the bill extends beyond app-based contractors, as the New York Times notes, many low-wage workers have been pushed from the employment roll into contractor status, including, janitors, nail salon workers, and construction workers. “California’s governor, Gavin Newsom, endorsed the bill this month and is expected to sign it after it goes through the State Assembly, in what is expected to be a formality,” the Times reports. “Under the measure, which would go into effect Jan. 1, workers must be designated as employees instead of contractors if a company exerts control over how they perform their tasks or if their work is part of a company’s regular business.”

9/11.  The columns of light have been thrown up for about 10 days already.

They Say Bolton got fired because he was the one who leaked bedbug thought nuking a hurricane was a great solution to the hurricane.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

9/11.  The columns of light have been thrown up for about 10 days already.

They Say Bolton got fired because he was the one who leaked bedbug thought nuking a hurricane was a great solution to the hurricane.

If Bolton is a leaker, that will be hilarious.  

On 9/10/2019 at 9:41 AM, DMC said:

I'm all for Falwell's kid and his stupid school getting embroiled in a scandal, but I don't think it'd have much electoral impact.  Evangelicals are pretty much trained in cognitive dissonance.

This isn't just your mistake, DMC -- almost everyone who hasn't had a lot of education in social psychology seems to make it -- but you are using the term "cognitive dissonance" incorrectly. The "dissonance" in that phrase means that the person who is having the contradictory beliefs or cognitions themselves consciously or unconsciously feels discomfort because of it, and so changes something about one of the beliefs or a behavior associated with it to make them more in line with each other.

A person who holds two contradictory beliefs and who does not see them as being contradictory or who feels no distress over that and so is not motivated to change does NOT have "cognitive dissonance." They just have contradictory beliefs. What you really mean here is that the evangelicals have been trained NOT to have "dissonant" feelings about Trump. 

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

The "dissonance" in that phrase means that the person who is having the contradictory beliefs or cognitions themselves consciously or unconsciously feels discomfort because of it, and so changes something about one of the beliefs or a behavior associated with it to make them more in line with each other.

I'm well aware that the dissonance/discomfort then needs to be resolved - I'm not teaching the concept on this board, just writing in shorthand to emphasize the process is very prevalent among evangelicals.  I wouldn't say evangelicals do not experience cognitive dissonance - in fact many of them are converts hence the term "born again" - but rather the church specifically trains them to resolve any contradictory beliefs.  After all, as the saying goes, there's no zealot like a convert.

Not sure what thread this belongs to, but can someone explain to me what’s the big deal about people attending a dinner where Jeffrey Epstein happened to also be in attendance?

The moron media made a big issue today out of the fact that in 2011 or thereabouts Jeffrey Epstein was at a dinner where Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk and Sergei Brinn were also present.

My question is, so friggin what? Are people now supposed to feel bad for even being in the guy’s company - along with dozens of other people? Same as people doing business with him. What’s the problem? If he was arranging a financing deal for you - which was his actual day job - how does the sexual crimes he commits in his spare time have anything to do with you? 

I don’t get this witch hunt of people who had normal business interactions with the guy in the past.

7 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Not sure what thread this belongs to, but can someone explain to me what’s the big deal about people attending a dinner where Jeffrey Epstein happened to also be in attendance?

The moron media made a big issue today out of the fact that in 2011 or thereabouts Jeffrey Epstein was at a dinner where Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk and Sergei Brinn were also present.

My question is, so friggin what? Are people now supposed to feel bad for even being in the guy’s company - along with dozens of other people? Same as people doing business with him. What’s the problem? If he was arranging a financing deal for you - which was his actual day job - how does the sexual crimes he commits in his spare time have anything to do with you? 

I don’t get this witch hunt of people who had normal business interactions with the guy in the past.

Who is making a "big issue" of it? I went to a few media sites (CNN, Nytimes, WaPo) and the top stories were things like the 9/11 anniversary, the North Carolina election, Brexit, and Bolton's firing. Nothing about Epstein.

So I searched for "Epstein" and hit the News tab. I got one story from the New York Post about Epstein staffers posting selfies with celebrities. That's the big deal you say is characteristic of the "moron media"? Do you habitually gin up dumb, misleading stories about what The Media is posting? Are you angling for a Breitbart column?

Archived