Small unworthy things - as you were

BigFatCoward

On 11/11/2019 at 12:06 PM, larrytheimp said:

Yeah the money is the big selling point for me right now, will be mostly a nice cult, besides the whole fleecing everyone for cash angle.  I'm thinking Jim Jones but without the sexual coercion and mass murder.

On 11/11/2019 at 1:17 PM, DMC said:

Way to take all the fun out of it.

Word.  But, @larrytheimp, I'm afraid L. Ron Hubbard may have already beaten you to it;)

3 minutes ago, maarsen said:

There is always money in the cult of Larry. Just like there is always money in the banana stand.

Oh, hell yes!  And, if you really do it right, you can just print your own money;)  But, as long as we're on the subject, I gotta ask...is it really a cult if there's no sexual coercion?:dunno:

Do people in Europe really pronounce Nike like you would pronounce Mike. i.e. dropping the "e", and id Adidas really pronounced like Ai-di-d-as instead of A-di-das?

Fun sidebar. The founders of Adidas were Nazi brothers. Ol' Adolf won the power struggle and based his new company's name on his nickname Adi. In a way the company could be seen as "The Adi." Remember that next time you're thinking about grabbing a pair.

the more you know

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do people in Europe really pronounce Nike like you would pronounce Mike. i.e. dropping the "e",

Dunno about people in Europe, but that's my instinctive pronunciation. Sometimes I catch myself for Americans, sometimes not.

Incidentally, I got caught out as a non-native speaker today (I'm secretly delighted by these...generally I have a fairly generic American accent) on "compulsory" - I've always stressed it as COM-pul-sAry, apparently its com-PUL-sry.

8 hours ago, Datepalm said:

I've always stressed it as COM-pul-sAry, apparently its com-PUL-sry.

I've never been great at translating this type of stuff into actual pronunciation, but pretty sure I say compulsory just like you do.  As a dirty heathen American.

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do people in Europe really pronounce Nike like you would pronounce Mike. i.e. dropping the "e", and id Adidas really pronounced like Ai-di-d-as instead of A-di-das?

Fun sidebar. The founders of Adidas were Nazi brothers. Ol' Adolf won the power struggle and based his new company's name on his nickname Adi. In a way the company could be seen as "The Adi." Remember that next time you're thinking about grabbing a pair.

the more you know

I've heard Nike pronounced both ways in the UK, the e being pronounced is a more recent thing, when I was younger everyone said it to rhyme with Mike.

Adidas has always been pronounced A di das.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I've heard Nike pronounced both ways in the UK, the e being pronounced is a more recent thing, when I was younger everyone said it to rhyme with Mike.

Adidas has always been pronounced A di das.

It’s just so odd to hear it pronounced like Mike. I feel like Nike would go out of its way to market the name correctly.

Yo, @Jace, Basilissa, sup with your people?

Hours before they were to attend an educational conference in Indianapolis, three judges went out drinking for a few hours and decided to walk to a strip joint.

Finding that closed, they then stopped at a White Castle, where two men in an SUV shouted at the judicial trio, prompting one judge to hold up her middle finger at the two men, according to an Indiana Supreme Court disciplinary ruling.

A drunken brawl then erupted between the men and two of the jurists, who were shot and seriously wounded in an unseemly spectacle that resulted in the Indiana Supreme Court temporarily suspending them without pay this week for their less-than-honorable actions early in the morning of May 1.

"Respondents' actions were not merely embarrassing on a personal level; they discredited the entire Indiana judiciary," the state Supreme Court said its Tuesday ruling.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/15/us/indiana-judges-white-castle-brawl-trnd/index.html

On 11/15/2019 at 12:00 AM, Tywin et al. said:

the more you know

['naɪk]

How else would you pronounce it?

['a:didas]

His surname was Dassler. So Adi Dassler.

4 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Until I found that out, I sai A-Dee-das

Sorry, I ... cannot tell what about your pronunciation was wrong or how you pronounced it. Do you mean to say you stressed "i" (second syllable) instead of "a" (the first syllable)?

On 11/15/2019 at 12:00 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Well, Adolf was a very common name until the middle of the 20th century - there were a few Swedish Kings (well at least two Gustav Adolfs and one Adolf Frederick I think) . Then for some unknown reason that names popularity dropped - really, no reson whatsoever, nothing to see there, just move along.

Anyway, Adi was a somewhat commong shortening of the name Adolf, like Joe for Joseph. Thinking about it, Frankfurt Headcoach Adi Hütter's real name is probably Adolf (just looked it up, and yes it is), which makes you wonder, what kind of parents would name their kid in Austria Adolf in the second half of the 20th century. Anyway. Also worth noting, that Adolf Dassler's brother's shoe company is also still around and kicking. And no, Rudolf did not name his company Rudidas. It's Puma.

In craziness today, someone smeared blood (don’t know what type, we called the cops but I don’t think they’re gonna run any tests) on the outside of my baby sisters trailer, before busting in the door and leaving. As far as we know no one actually entered the place. 

But I’m having her babysit my dog for the next couple weeks in case they do it again. 

I think I'm more likely to garrotte myself!

I'm a total convert to wireless headphones because I was always crossing the room to find something then getting my head yanked back kind of like having a dog on a lead (if you had the lead attached to your head...umph!) - or else having them fly off and crash to the floor.  Nowadays the worst that happens is I lose a few moments of music.

Also good in the gym as I can just put my phone in my bag and move around freely, removing the risk of getting the wires caught around projecting bits of weight machines etc. (believe me, I can manage that!).

Archived