Small unworthy things - as you were

BigFatCoward

18 hours ago, Lizard Queen said:

Camped over the weekend, but the weather was miserable lol. It snowed for the first two days, and the temps were in the 30's. We slept in tents and everything. It looks like this weekend will be sunny, snowless, and in the 60's. Heh!

See it as something good: There are no mosquitos!

On 10/16/2019 at 1:21 PM, Karneol said:

See it as something good: There are no mosquitos!

Yeah, that was something good for sure! No bugs :).

--------

So, I found a weird note on my windshield this morning at 7 when I left for work. There is a guy next door that I see sitting on his porch often. Lately I've made very brief small talk with him, including yesterday. 

Here is the note. I censored his name and phone number out...

https://ibb.co/5rRqJw8

On 10/17/2019 at 7:46 PM, Lizard Queen said:

--------

So, I found a weird note on my windshield this morning at 7 when I left for work. There is a guy next door that I see sitting on his porch often. Lately I've made very brief small talk with him, including yesterday. 

This guy with the note should have left out the part about 'watching you leave and come back' and all that.  Maybe he's a harmless guy that wants to be neighborly but is socially awkward.  I always feel a little odd about adults leaving notes, though.  I've had a couple of crazy people leave me notes so maybe that's why.  What sort of vibe do you get from this guy?

On 10/18/2019 at 3:46 AM, Lizard Queen said:

--------

I actually think that's kind of sweet. The watching bit sounds a bit creepy but I think that is just the kind of things that sounds worse than it is - I mean we all people watch surely, and I guess that is what he does with his day. I suspect he is just a bit lonely and wants to make an acquaintance 

On 10/17/2019 at 10:46 PM, Lizard Queen said:

Yeah, that does sound creepy, but as others have said, I'm not sure it's intended that way.  I live in an apartment complex with a lot of old people...a lot.  And some of them are just weird like that.  No, I've never gotten a note like that, but there was this one guy who stared me down for a long time and I was like 'WTF?'  Then I talked to him, and while he's still pretty fucking weird, he's harmless.  Of course, I'm a male, so I have the liberty to be less cautious.  Anyway, some neighbors may just come off weird because they're lonely.  Hard to judge though, so..I end this post with no advice.

38 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Not necessarily.  But if I were to tell you that I ran another human being over at a crosswalk I'd venture you wouldn't think much of me.  But if I ran another human being over at a crosswalk when they were on their phone would you not sneak a bit more towards my camp? 

For the record, I am not part of whatever drug deal Rudy and Mulvaney are cooking up.  

Arent you supposed to stop at a crosswalk anyway? Not that i have a lot of sympathy for people not paying attention to their surroundings because they are on their phone but that was my limited understanding of the highway code

I've been considering that note and I do like the part about the parking brick.

Also I think it would be fair if using your phone disqualified you from most, if not all, legal and safety protections.  I will say that if said phone user is in a crosswalk they are ahead of the game.  I encounter too many people just stepping out anywhere without even glancing to see what's coming down the road.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I was looking for other interpretations... I did not initially feel threatened by the note, but when I *described* it to some people, they told me it was "seriously creepy" and to "watch my back"... That spooked me, so I came looking for other opinions.

I've had very limited contact with the guy. He has so far struck me as mild mannered and easygoing. He sits on his porch a lot listening to a radio, even sports -- he seems like a little bit of a different breed. I think he might be attracted to me lol. I believe he mentioned him seeing me coming and going the day before to help me identify him, because I should have seen him too. But, as I said, when I got the spooky initial feedback from others, I doubted my perception (I also have been too trusting, at least in the past, something I'm aware of so...)

It seems other people read the letter as being more socially awkward and less alarming as I did upon my first read. That's comforting lol, but I am going to be a bit cautious with the guy until I figure him out better. Anyway, thanks again for your input!

19 hours ago, Lizard Queen said:

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I was looking for other interpretations... I did not initially feel threatened by the note, but when I *described* it to some people, they told me it was "seriously creepy" and to "watch my back"... That spooked me, so I came looking for other opinions.

I've had very limited contact with the guy. He has so far struck me as mild mannered and easygoing. He sits on his porch a lot listening to a radio, even sports -- he seems like a little bit of a different breed. I think he might be attracted to me lol. I believe he mentioned him seeing me coming and going the day before to help me identify him, because I should have seen him too. But, as I said, when I got the spooky initial feedback from others, I doubted my perception (I also have been too trusting, at least in the past, something I'm aware of so...)

It seems other people read the letter as being more socially awkward and less alarming as I did upon my first read. That's comforting lol, but I am going to be a bit cautious with the guy until I figure him out better. Anyway, thanks again for your input!

Those of us who understand social awkwardness understand that the letter was harmless. 

6 hours ago, maarsen said:

Those of us who understand social awkwardness understand that the letter was harmless. 

*potentially harmless. Im socially awkward too so i see that side of it but there is also the possibility the creepy “im watching you” interpretation is correct too. A little caution is not unreasonable on LQ’s part. Just...be reasonable/measured in your response. Maybe just check you lock your door or whatever else makes you feel comfortable. Just dont overreact and start shouting and accusing him etc (and im not saying you would lizard queen!) If 5there are further developments then you may have to ecalate

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

*potentially harmless. Im socially awkward too so i see that side of it but there is also the possibility the creepy “im watching you” interpretation is correct too. A little caution is not unreasonable on LQ’s part. Just...be reasonable/measured in your response. Maybe just check you lock your door or whatever else makes you feel comfortable. Just dont overreact and start shouting and accusing him etc (and im not saying you would lizard queen!) If 5there are further developments then you may have to ecalate

Thanks. I agree with your post. And haha, yeah no, not going into dramatics. I don't think it will come to any extreme measures either. 

Maarsen, I don't feel too worried about anything now -- I do think it was probably awkward wording from a person with no harm intended. But when I initially decscribed the letter to others without showing it, they truly said "That is seriously creepy. Watch your back!" which scared me. Hearing "that's creepy" from several people put me on edge since there is some room to interpret the letter in a creepy way. 

I tried to explain Petman to the grocery clerk but she wasn't having it.  I tried to warn her about Big Dog and Little Dog and the mechanical cheetah and the one that climbs walls.  I told her to enjoy today because it's not looking good.  She said we were on a trajectory for love to win out.  Love will win out.  We're on that trajectory.  Those were her words. 

Also I can't go to that store anymore because it looks like they stopped stocking my favorite soda. 

Archived