Bakker LVII

jurble

"Nothing to update on the moment. I continue collecting ideas, scenes, and so on for a prequel and a sequel, but only when they arise. I recently found a good chunk of the SF novel I thought I had lost with my harddrive a couple years back–The Lollipop Factory–so I’ve been working primarily on that. I’m also back working on The End of Meaning–background reading mostly.

Earwan drums still echo through the deep, though. Never fear. I’ll let everyone know what the plan is when I do." 

The Madman! He actually doesn't know what's next, only scenes and ideas...I think for most fans at least, we could see this as the end of the series.

we could see this as the end of the series.

when he writes that he has 

concluded my 33-year narrative obsession with the publication of The Unholy Consult

i understand it to mean that we are for the first time on the trackless steppe, rather than that the series is finished.

8 hours ago, Lutarez said:

"Nothing to update on the moment. I continue collecting ideas, scenes, and so on for a prequel and a sequel, but only when they arise. I recently found a good chunk of the SF novel I thought I had lost with my harddrive a couple years back–The Lollipop Factory–so I’ve been working primarily on that. I’m also back working on The End of Meaning–background reading mostly.

Earwan drums still echo through the deep, though. Never fear. I’ll let everyone know what the plan is when I do." 

The Madman! He actually doesn't know what's next, only scenes and ideas...I think for most fans at least, we could see this as the end of the series.

I think most people do. I could be less polite but, well, I'll refrain.

2 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Well, a smaller publisher like Angry Robot or Tachyon could show interest. . .

The biggest problem, IIRC, is that Overlook will retain the rights to the previous 7 books. Invariably someone wanting to do a shot on a new series will also want to be able to reprint or print the previous books. It's more likely that Overlook would want those interests for themselves. 

Considering that Overlook did NOTHING for Bakker and know NOTHING about fantasy/science fiction, I would have thought that they'd be happy to get rid of him, so to speak. Those rights will revert to the author in a number of years, but they should have nothing to do with future installments in the series.

Who knows? They might be happy to sell those rights to the new publishers if they are interested. I'm pretty sure Overlook will not reissue them.

2 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Considering that Overlook did NOTHING for Bakker and know NOTHING about fantasy/science fiction, I would have thought that they'd be happy to get rid of him, so to speak.

What's the story here?

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

there was also the part where Baker lies out his ass to his followers about not having an editor for a book he hadn't actually finished so his fans would harass overlook so he could renegotiate his contract and split the last book in two.

Wait, what? 

Where and when did this happen? 

And furthermore, why? 

12 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Wait, what? 

Where and when did this happen? 

And furthermore, why? 

Uh, here on the forum some. Pre publication of book 3. I'm sure its archived in one of the threads. As for the why, hell if I know.

Edit: I can probably try and pull some of it up later, its a very sore subject all around though, plus um, a few of the...hrmm...people involved are not remembered too fondly here.

Archived