Bakker LVII

jurble

6 hours ago, TheMightyKC said:

The way you all talk about these books makes me want to read them, but they also sound terrifying.  I may be too squeamish to handle them.  

Yeah...I'll assume this isn't a parody account and go ahead and tell you for someone of your leanings, these are NOT the books for you.

16 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Yeah, I confess I'm equally confused. This is more confusing than a Mission: Impossible film. 

Ha you know, thread derail, but I literally just finished watching the most recent one, and dear lord, tom cruise is going to kill him self making these.

15 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah...I'll assume this isn't a parody account and go ahead and tell you for someone of your leanings, these are NOT the books for you.

Lol, yeah I second this.

10 hours ago, Triskele said:

Squeamish:Bakker as is...

Progressive:Goodkind

?

Those who dislike author wish fulfillment:Rothfuss

8 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Y'all didn't have to do this analogy thing on tests back in the day?  

EAMD.  

We're dealing with a Bakker readership that has long ago abandoned the Analogies in favor of the Gnosis.  And yet there is a third way, borne of water, found in the desert.  A way of pure faith.

On 5/26/2020 at 8:24 AM, Rhom said:

IS NOT THE BATTLE BRACKET INFINITE?

nuclear bombs v. lasers

qirri v. black semen

womb plague v. mass stillbirth

antichrist with crusaders v. jihadists

antichrist v. crusaders

moria v. erebor

race of lovers v. ninja real dolls

glanton gang v. panopticon

most violent of all men v. hole in the ground

Say what you will of Bakker (and I know you will!) the man did have a way of capturing our imaginations like few others.  

I wonder if 500 years from now people will still be using Bakkerisms in their conversations.

6 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Say what you will of Bakker (and I know you will!) the man did have a way of capturing our imaginations like few others.  

I wonder if 500 years from now people will still be using Bakkerisms in their conversations.

500 years is the slog of slogs!!!!

To the coffers boys!

5 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Yeah.  I also still can't help but have a hard time trusting Bakker on some of his statements.  Like, when it talks about messing with reader's expectations I could see it all having been intentional, but I also worry it's just something to say in reaction to people not appreciating the final result as much as he'd hoped.

I confess that I'd still be getting the next book were there one.  The ending would sting less if one weren't so worried that this was truly it combined with comments that this was really where it was all supposed to end which suggests that several of the unresolved issues were never to be resolved.  So weird.

I feel like it would be better for this type thing to just be the author reacting.  If I believed an author was actually doing that it's likely I'd never read them again.  Easy for me to say, though, as I gave up on Bakker after one book.  An author I'm invested in might have me singing a different tune.

Also...there are Bakkerisms?  Like what?

28 minutes ago, Triskele said:

The ending would sting less if one weren't so worried that this was truly it combined with comments that this was really where it was all supposed to end which suggests that several of the unresolved issues were never to be resolved.  So weird.

I suppose this won't make sense until I finish the second set of books, will it? (I've only read the original trilogy.)

Archived