Bakker LVII

jurble

A friend of mine and I are watching movies and TV over skype and text since we can't hang out in person, but since we have different streaming services we just meet at the HBO logo or whatever. So every time we sync up I go "meet me at the logo. The logo. The logo. The logo." She still has no idea what I'm doing but I'm having a grand old time.

I think the dialogue between Serwa and the dragon was meant to be cringe. The thing is shaped like a phallus and is screaming about cunny to her. She has that one line "what would a dragon know of cunny?" It's poking fun at the misogynistic D&D nerds who compare women to roast beef sandwiches because sex is mostly a theoretical concept to them.

1 hour ago, The Twink in the North said:

I think the dialogue between Serwa and the dragon was meant to be cringe. The thing is shaped like a phallus and is screaming about cunny to her. She has that one line "what would a dragon know of cunny?" It's poking fun at the misogynistic D&D nerds who compare women to roast beef sandwiches because sex is mostly a theoretical concept to them.

I guess either it worked or it was an incredible huge failure. 

On 6/5/2020 at 6:38 PM, ير بال said:

In the final book he most certainly is, I'm not sure prior to that point.

In TTT when he's singlehandedly holding off Conphas' army, it seems pretty likely Cnaiur was possessed by someone (Gilgaol I think).

Cnaiur leapt into their midst, scarred arms hacking.  "Demon!" he roared.  "Demon!"

Cnaiur laughed.  The roaring flames took up his voice, made it sorcerous with dread. 

Cries and shouts.  Some even dropped their weapons.

And this one Scylvendi, this Utemot Chieftain. Conphas had witnessed it, as much as any of the Columnaries who′d quailed before him in Joktha. In the firelight the barbarian’s eyes had been coals set in his skull. And the blood had painted him the colour of his true skin. The swatting arms, the roaring voice, the chest-pounding declarations. They had all seen the God. They had all seen dread Gilgaöl rearing about him, a great horned shadow …

in hindsight, it is a fairly obvious aristeia.

21 hours ago, sologdin said:

in hindsight, it is a fairly obvious aristeia.

Thanks, I thought the reference in TTT was more explicit than what I quoted, but I didn't realize it was in a flashback. 

Also, I still chuckle a little bit whenever one of the gods is referred to as "horned", seeing how much Bakker seems to like that description and yet it applies to multiple gods, and thus often serves to confuse everybody.

It's like if Abercrombie had another shapeshifter that worked for Khalul who ALSO had different colored eyes.  (For those of you who haven't been reading the Abercrombie threads, there's one shapeshifting character in the series, and he is ALWAYS identified by having different color eyes, so if you ever see this description, it is Sulfur). 

Not that there's anything wrong with Bakker leaving things ambiguous, but this particular case was ambiguity without purpose. 

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

(For those of you who haven't been reading the Abercrombie threads, there's one shapeshifting character in the series, and he is ALWAYS identified by having different color eyes, so if you ever see this description, it is Sulfur). 

Is this in the original trilogy he wrote? Or in later books? (I just started the second First Law book the other day.)

3 hours ago, sologdin said:

what killed it for you? i recall that volume's descent into a cunuroi setting as beyond marvelous.  

The whale mothers.

Bakker strikes me as one of those writers who just says vague and, frankly bizarre things that can be interpreted multiple ways. What's clear though, however you want to spin it, is that the story remains unfinished.

These threads wouldn't go back as far as they do if there weren't something special about this series. I even feel like there's artistic merit in a lot of the things that make people uncomfortable about that last pair of books. That final march to Golgotterath is gratuitous and drags on and on, but in doing so it almost puts the reader in the mindset of an army that's been marching for long that even horrific or traumatic events become monotonous. The various character threads and mysteries that feel like they were cut off, the over-use of italics and lack of editing in TUC really feels like reality is coming apart as the No-God comes closer and closer.

Archived