Bakker LVII

jurble

19 minutes ago, sologdin said:

endlessly rehashing 

well, i asked for some detailed recitations.  was curious.  thanks for the candid replies, all.

My point was more than we almost always do these same sort of recisitations, it seems to me, every time a new thread is made though.

My personal opinion is that there are vastly more interesting things we could discuss, but instead it's the characterological nature of who likes Bakker and Bakker himself that is far more often the topic.  Or at least, more often than it seems it should be to me.

But maybe I am just an old man shaking my fist at clouds...and as always, maybe there is no maybe.

I agree largely, which is why I've tried to stay out of it this time around. That said, theres a lot of betrayal of trust that people still have toward Bakker which I think hasn't been resolved well, and there is the viewpoint that his most ardent fans have continued that behavior and then some. It is bakker in a nutshell - there are some really interesting things to talk about if only everyone could get over all the horrible things.

And it's cool that you're over them, but I'd argue that's more a sign of privilege than it is of anything else. 

14 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

And it's cool that you're over them, but I'd argue that's more a sign of privilege than it is of anything else.

Fair enough, to what should I say to that?

Far be it from me to be against the facts of the matter.  So, as I said, I'll leave you guys to it.

assuming arguendo that the allegations are true, they are consistent with one set of thematics in the novels--the effect of conviction in interpreters of doctrine and adherents thereof, RSB as the prophet of a 'revelation' (one of the terms used in these threads to describe the authorial method) some of which is in a scripture and some of which is fabricated ad hoc, certain fans as his zaudunyani. such a situation needs adversaries in heretics, sinners, and a great enemy.  it's all a literary experiment, just like stanek with his sockpuppets, maybe.

• 2 months later...

I've recently read Bakkers paper, On the Death of Meaning, published in New Directions in Philosophy and Literature (EUP 2019) edited by R. Askin, F. Beckman and D. Rudrum. Nothing really new for someone who follows his philosophical ruminations, but it just reminded me how much I respect Bakker for his flexibility. He certainly would make a decent proper academic teacher, just as he could have been a great, substantial writer, if only he didn’t lack discipline… and an editor, when it comes to his books. I hope that one day he will publish the last part of TAS, because despite all its deficiencies I believe The Aspect-Emperor to be a good effort at making fantasy literature. Bakkers worldbuilding is my favourite in the genre as of today and I would really suffer is that story was left untold.

On 12/3/2019 at 2:09 AM, Lessingham said:

I've recently read Bakkers paper, On the Death of Meaning, published in New Directions in Philosophy and Literature (EUP 2019) edited by R. Askin, F. Beckman and D. Rudrum. Nothing really new for someone who follows his philosophical ruminations, but it just reminded me how much I respect Bakker for his flexibility. He certainly would make a decent proper academic teacher, just as he could have been a great, substantial writer, if only he didn’t lack discipline… and an editor, when it comes to his books. I hope that one day he will publish the last part of TAS, because despite all its deficiencies I believe The Aspect-Emperor to be a good effort at making fantasy literature. Bakkers worldbuilding is my favourite in the genre as of today and I would really suffer is that story was left untold.

I recently re-read the series... well, the first three books. Still love 'em. But I skimmed the second series, because it's such a slog in parts and really, really could have used a strong editor to whittle it down to three books. Knowing the internal motivations of large chunks of the mysteries broached -- i.e., to not answer them, let 'em hang in the wind as an epic troll -- makes reading TAE not really worth it. That, and the sort of doubling-down on the sexism stuff and the weird, unconvincing "reversal" via Serwa's character as a sudden super saiyan.... 

I'll probably never re-read TAE in full. Some great stuff, some self-indulgent stuff, and some serious "look ma no editor" stuff. I counted 13 italicized words in 2 paragraphs in one part of TUC.

On 12/9/2019 at 10:32 PM, IlyaP said:

Is this across *all* editions of TUC? UK/Australia and North America alike? 

No, it's just in one section near the middle of the NA version. I don't remember which page, just that it was all description/exposition and it became completely ridiculous -- I think it was around where he's describing Golgotterah and how evil and epic and deranged everything is.

• 5 months later...

I'm about half way through my first re-read of the series. On The Thousandfold Thought now. I'm hoping to finish this time with some idea of what the titular TTT actually is. The Second Apocalypse, or at least the first trilogy, really is one of those rare reads that is indeed better the second time through. I find this usually isn't the case, even for fantasy that I really like, but I guess TSA is the exception. This series should be so much more popular.

Something I had to point out, Conphas refers to Kellhus as the most accomplished liar he'd ever met, "a veritable Ajokli".

I also wanted to ask, is it true Bakker himself sometimes posts on these forums?

2 hours ago, Hello World said:

Nah. He replied to a couple of threads years ago, but I don't think he visits this forum anymore. 

And was confused why we wouldn’t believe it was really him... :lol: 

Archived