Bakker LVII

jurble

22 hours ago, Arakan said:

Problem with TAE: the last two books are simply boring as a whole, and too self-consciously trying to be super edgy, super daaaaark and bleak. Sorry, I am not a 13 year old teenager. 

A good editor could have made one good book out of the last two. But well. 

Regarding whale mothers: never understood the outcry. So the Dunyan enslaved their women and reduced them to breeding cattle. That’s it. Evil for sure. But come on, we have a lot of Americans in these threads. Your country reduced people to exactly that, breeding cattle, not too long ago. Based on pigments. What I want to say: the concept of whale mothers is not so outlandish. It’s just lame and not even a good Hommage to Herbert. Just lame and crying for validation. Edgy. 

What's the point of this?  That because humans are shitty and do terrible things Bakker we can't criticize Bakker for making an intellectually sloppy decision that happens to fall into the category of gross misogyny?  

We have  a lot of Germans who post on this board and their country recently committed mass genocides.  Doesn't make the concept of whale mothers any less outlandish.  It's practically the definition of outlandish.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ير بال said:

iirc, he had a twitter where he would tweet quotes he came up with 

Yeah I was more making a comment on how certain authors behavior on social media and at cons have been, uh, problematic. Not that Bakker didn't step in it A LOT on certain blogs

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Twink in the North said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK that last line is so cool. Bakker is such an awesome goddamn writer, Tolkien eat your heart out :read::drool::crying:

counterpoint: “The very ground reeks of cunny!” the magnificent serpent boomed on a croaking laugh.

12 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

counterpoint: “The very ground reeks of cunny!” the magnificent serpent boomed on a croaking laugh.

*blinks*

...That's...that's actually a line from one of the books? 

1 minute ago, IlyaP said:

I bristle with ambivalent anticipation at the delights that await me. 

What I'm more curious about is what you think this is referring to, because I could see it going a LOT of different ways if you don't know the context, and I suspect that none of them are as stupid as the actual reality ended up being

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

What I'm more curious about is what you think this is referring to, because I could see it going a LOT of different ways if you don't know the context, and I suspect that none of them are as stupid as the actual reality ended up being

I confess, I'm trying my very best to not think about it. 

3 hours ago, The Twink in the North said:

Hey I don't think you've ever mentioned, how do you feel about that book? Or like, Bakker and his stories in general? :smug:

Hey, I didnt realize that you were some banned poster who was trying to come back under the radar until a little bit of dragon cunny sniffing caused you to be upset at someone calling you on your fanwankery!

On 7/30/2020 at 12:00 AM, Kalbear said:

Hey, I didnt realize that you were some banned poster who was trying to come back under the radar until a little bit of dragon cunny sniffing caused you to be upset at someone calling you on your fanwankery!

Well that sure came out of nowhere. I don't know whose hurt you my friend, but it wasn't me. I'm just responding to the tone of damn near every single time you've quoted me in this thread. Also JEORDHl implied few pages ago you've been shit-talking Bakker for years.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:00 AM, Kalbear said:

someone calling you on your fanwankery!

Damn right I'm wanking btw. With both MFing hands baby. I would be ALL up on that man's dick given the chance, literary or otherwise. You think I'm ashamed of fan-wanking in "Bakker part twenty-something" thread? Of course I'm wanking, I love these books. I don't know the writer but he seems like an incredible dude. And with all the "squeaky clean" scifi/fantasy writers that have been revealed over the past few years to have been fucking their underage fans, or locking their kids in dog crates, or going on unhinged, transphobic twitter rants...idk, I'm done feeling squeamish about having Bakker on my shelves.

Tolkien was a racist, puritanical little shit who can suck my dick, and while he's down there Frank Herbert can fondle the balls. I'll take Persian, cuckold, pussy-eating Gandalf any day. As far as I'm concerned R. Scott Bakker is one of the greatest fantasy writers of all time, maybe the best living atm, and he gets nowhere near the recognition he deserves.

PCE-out beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyatch.

Archived