Dance of the Dragons Pilot Near Orders

Westeros

There's a ton of interesting characters in the Dance and the lead up. The idea that it wouldn't adapt well is crazy. The most difficult part of the Dance would have to be all the dragons. But they might be able to get creative to pull that off. It's not like there's constantly fifteen dragons going at it at once. IIRC most of the significant dragon battles have two to four dragons. But as far as the characters, there's a ton of potential.

5 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

But the Dance isn't multi-faceted. It is a childish civil started and waged by a dysfunctional family. It is less complex than the War of the Five Kings - which is not exactly the most tantalizing or interesting aspect of ASoIaF. The Dance has just morons like Stannis and Renly who cannot remember that they are family who shouldn't kill each other - and who even fail to realize that their own incestuous marriage policy could help them resolve their issues in peaceful manner.

I'm talking about themes here - and the Dance has no good theme to offer. It is a pointless war. The Conquest would have a theme to offer (constant warfare vs. a centralized monarchy and the prospect of lasting peace). That would mean that, within the story, the characters could talk about and justify atrocities by referring their vision of the future.

The Faith Militant Uprising would have the fight between religious and temporal authority as a theme - is the pope the guy with the ultimate authority, or the guy who wears the crown. Another theme there is that great kings do not necessarily produce great heirs. Aenys tries and fails, and Maegor should never have been allowed to survive the death of his father.

But the Dance is just the war between a woman whose justification for the war is that 'daddy wanted me to sit the throne' and a stupid youth whose sycophants say that 'tradition wants him to be the king'. That is not a good theme.

And George actually didn't give any of the great houses who take sides in the war good motivations besides 'dragons make impressive/threatening visitors' and 'siding with that pretender is more profitable to me'. The Velaryons and Hightowers aside, nobody has particular connections to the Blacks or the Greens, nor do Aegon II and Rhaenyra represent different approaches to government. They are both not exactly great royal material (although it is clear that Rhaenyra is more sympathetic than Aegon II).

Also, I cannot help but realize that George - since he wrote fake history - made the Dance deliberately an anti-climactic war, something that does not fit well into the framework of series of novels or a TV show. It does not only lack heroes, it also lacks narrative cohesion. People make bumbling mistakes and, especially, the dragon battles seem more like ironic commentaries to historical accidents and such than things one would want to read about in a tantalizing novel series or watch on screen. Jacaerys Velaryon and Vermax essentially are Viserion getting killed by magical scorpions - and didn't that look good on TV!

And as I said repeatedly - there is not going to be a grand finale. The last great events of the war are Second Tumbleton and the Storming of the Dragonpit. Everything that comes thereafter is lower scale stuff, although the Kingsroad could make a fine mundane battle.

Hey, I too would rather see the Conquest than the Dance if I can't have both. But I'd love a look at Queen Jaehaera's life or Nettles dragon-taming ways, or little Aegon III's bleak life, or dragon fights or MUSHROOM.

One could argue that dysfunctional families makes for better entertainment as well. ;) 

edit: Dinklage as Mushroom, anyone?

2 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

We’re on two different wavelengths, ser:  all of these events you call silly I think were epic:  Second Tumbleton, Muddy Mess, Fishfeed, etc.

Oh, insofar as battles are concerned the Fishfeed and the Gullet really have great potential. But even then - where is our emotional investment in those battles? Chances are not that high that we care about the casualties in the Fishfeed where no important character dies (and no character that's going to be featured in detail in a faithful Dance adaptation).

And the entire Tumbleton story is essentially the epitome of anti-climactic. A faithful adaptation would have the audience watch the Hightowers and Daeron raise an army, fight desperate battles against the rebellious bannermen of Oldtown (and their allies) and then have a long march to KL which, one would expect, conclude in a great battle against Rhaenyra's followers. Instead the story we would get is the army ripping itself apart, devolving into savagery and thuggery. That does not translate well on screen.

But my point above was not so much on the mundane battles but the dragon battles - and there Second Tumbleton is hilarious simply because we have fights between riderless dragons. That's just silly.

2 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

There's a ton of interesting characters in the Dance and the lead up. The idea that it wouldn't adapt well is crazy. The most difficult part of the Dance would have to be all the dragons. But they might be able to get creative to pull that off. It's not like there's constantly fifteen dragons going at it at once. IIRC most of the significant dragon battles have two to four dragons. But as far as the characters, there's a ton of potential.

If the dragons were an issue, just cut half of them. We don't need the Cannibal or Grey Ghost or Tyraxes or Morning or Morghul or Shrykos. Stormcloud gets a nice death scene, so he could stay, but Dreamfyre could be cut and be replaced with Syrax in her death scene. But then - even Syrax could be cut - Rhaenyra never does anything with her dragon, so why does she need it (the latter comment is hyperbole - of course there is a symbolic meaning in her being a dragonrider)? But the fact that she doesn't do anything is another reason why the Dance is anti-climactic war.

In ASoIaF we can expect Daenerys Targaryen to do stuff with her dragon, Drogon. Rhaenyra Targaryen was deliberately created to be an anti-Daenerys - a reluctant, somewhat cowardly woman who would never ride her dragon in any proper battle (and it is even worse with Helaena).

If the Dance had been envisioned to be material for series of novels or a show it would have been set up differently. I mean, who wants to watch a show where the Starks come to late like the Freys? They would have to make massive changes to Cregan Stark's story in the war - either by giving him brothers or uncle who fight and die in the war (a good take could be to cut Roddy the Ruin and replace him with a Stark uncle or granduncle), or involving him some more in another fashion.

Or take the story of Daemon and Nettles - we have an old man who (seemingly) gets the hots for a young girl ... and then he throws away his life and she flies away in the wilderness. How is that a good story?

Or Aemond running amok in the Riverlands instead of actually using the largest dragon alive to target some proper castles, towns, or cities. That is not as bad the Wight Hunt (insofar as motivation is concerned) but it is not all that far behind.

And I daresay that both the murder of Lucerys and Blood and Cheese - which would take place in the first season of the Dance proper - should do a lot in prevent people from getting invested in the characters doing/arranging those things. We never saw that kind of wanton cruelty towards children early on in GoT. Not to mention a realistic depiction of the Gullet, the Fishfeed, and the Tumbleton battles.

37 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Hey, I too would rather see the Conquest than the Dance if I can't have both. But I'd love a look at Queen Jaehaera's life or Nettles dragon-taming ways, or little Aegon III's bleak life, or dragon fights or MUSHROOM.

One could argue that dysfunctional families makes for better entertainment as well. ;) 

Oh, I'd like to see those things, too. I just don't think it would make particularly good television. In fact, I don't expect a particularly faithful adaptation of the Dance would look good on screen.

Part of the fun are the unreliable narrators, but a show would have to pick a version, meaning chances are pretty good that we would get caricatures rather than characters...

Also, crucial plot elements like Rhaenyra being surprised on Dragonstone are not exactly easily depicted (since they would have not feature Aegon II for (a) season(s) to make that a real surprise) meaning that one should urge them to actually come up with a better idea for her death.

37 minutes ago, Sigella said:

edit: Dinklage as Mushroom, anyone?

Please don't.

That's a whole lot of ridiculous. The Dance has plenty of interesting characters and potential scenes that would make for interesting television. Whether or not any/many of the adults are "good guys," there are a lot of complex and interesting characters, and potential for viewers' opinions about them to change throughout the course of the series. The idea that the potential of the series is limited by the summaries of a few maesters, whether those who hated them or those who loved them, is absurd.

41 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

By that logic, the entire Riverlands campaign of the War of the Five Kings was anti-climactic :)

That campaign isn't exactly at the heart of the story. But such campaigns are all the Dance has to offer, no? It is just a brutal war of succession. It is the War of the Five Kings with only two kings, and with no existential threat from the North or the East.

I mean, what would you think if Mance had died a week before they reached the Wall, and subsequently the wildlings would have killed each other and gone home? Or worse - what would we think if the problem of the Others were to resolve itself this way? What if Euron suddenly decided to brutally harrass the Stepstones rather than, you known use his dragon magic to do something significant? What if Dany stood around, complained, and, presumably, played with the rings on her fingers rather than use her dragon(s) to fight against her enemies outside the castle?

There are plenty of such issues during the Dance. A faithful adaptation would have to deal with a lot of those.

33 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

That's a whole lot of ridiculous. The Dance has plenty of interesting characters and potential scenes that would make for interesting television. Whether or not any/many of the adults are "good guys," there are a lot of complex and interesting characters, and potential for viewers' opinions about them to change throughout the course of the series. The idea that the potential of the series is limited by the summaries of a few maesters, whether those who hated them or those who loved them, is absurd.

There are some isolated incidents and scenes that could look great, yes, but that's not the same as good television.

GoT shows that a TV show needs positive characters - they made Tyrion into a saint, they reduced Catelyn to a one-dimensional mother figure, etc.

Nobody is going to watch a show where essentially all the main adult characters are either outright evil or utterly stupid (and that goes for Alicent, Aegon II, Aemond, Daemon, Rhaenyra, Criston, Otto, Larys, Mysaria, and Borros). Those young characters who show heroic traits still look stupid because they actually fight and die for either Rhaenyra or Aegon II. Real heroes would turn on them. Baela and Addam Velaryon look good only at first glance. If you take a step back and realize that they got themselves killed for a stupid cause their bravery is put into perspective.

Very few things look worse on television than good guys in the service of tyrants and madmen.

And if the opinion of the viewers change during the course of the series then this would have to mean that they drastically change the setting - because neither Rhaenyra, Aegon II, Aemond, Daemon, Alicent, etc. change during the Dance. There is no character development there, only increasing hatred.

Even if we got the entire backstory throughout the reign of Viserys I from the Great Council to the start of the Dance - nothing in our source material indicates that those characters developed. Rhaenyra was always a pampered princess, Aegon II was always gluttonous arrogant prick, Alicent Hightower was always the evil stepmother cliché, and Daemon was always the ambitious unruly guy with sadistic tendencies.

Some of the episodes - especially the threesome thing, Daemon's desperate attempts to get closer to the throne, the Criston-Rhaenyra story, 120 AC - could still be interesting to watch. But I don't see how the average viewer could be particularly invested in those characters if they are depicted the way George imagined them in FaB.

And if there are massive changes to them - if they get proper arcs and character development - then the result of that should be the Dance is suddenly no longer the pointless war it was (and the war George R. R. Martin imagined) but a war where there is a good side and a bad side. And that's going to make it even worse theme-wise.

In a sense, it is still clear that the Blacks are the good guys and the Greens are the villains, but with George that only works within the framework of the pointless war - not in principle.

And seriously - who wants to watch a show where the two alleged leads - Rhaenyra and Aegon II - are either sick with grief/cowards or junkies/immobile cripples for most of the show? A faithful adaptation would have both of them in the backseat - or in Aegon II's case - completely out of the story for a pretty significant time.

I think we're running into an issue where head canon runs into actual canon for some, and their disappointment leaves them pessimistic.

Lets not keep going around in circles about the subject of the Dance. Suffice it to say, HBO believes in the concept sufficiently to have commissioned at least two screenwriters to take stabs at pilots about it, so that's all we really need to know.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I think we're running into an issue where head canon runs into actual canon for some, and their disappointment leaves them pessimistic.

If I am pessimistic then because I don't think George delivered source material that's particularly well-suited to become a TV show in its own right.

While ASoIaF was ideally suited to be adapted scene by scene with only minor tweaks here and there - the Dance is at best a rough draft which would need to be massively changed and improved to work as a conventional (i.e. successful) TV show.

If that happens it will be vastly different to the story George has written - and not just because they will have to decide which historical source 'was right'. Also because they will have to make characters and plot relatable to the audience.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Lets not keep going around in circles about the subject of the Dance. Suffice it to say, HBO believes in the concept sufficiently to have commissioned at least two screenwriters to take stabs at pilots about it, so that's all we really need to know.

That is not in doubt. What I doubt is that this is going to be a faithful adaptation since I don't think a faithful adaptation would work. Something loosely inspired by George's Dance - say, something as faithfully adapted as ASoIaF - could actually be pretty entertaining - if it is done by competent people who know how to invent and tell stories.

I am afraid that such kind of show will transfer character like Larys to "pro-smallfolk nonsense" as predecessor did to eunuch.

Actually, the first episode ending with Larys Strong killing his own family in burning of Harrenhall would create the falling-Bran effect. I know that Larys is only one of the suspects (which include Viserys I) but the show would probably go with the most shocking explanations (created by Mushroom) to mysteries in the Princess and the Queen.

21 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Oh, I'd like to see those things, too. I just don't think it would make particularly good television. In fact, I don't expect a particularly faithful adaptation of the Dance would look good on screen.

Part of the fun are the unreliable narrators, but a show would have to pick a version, meaning chances are pretty good that we would get caricatures rather than characters...

Also, crucial plot elements like Rhaenyra being surprised on Dragonstone are not exactly easily depicted (since they would have not feature Aegon II for (a) season(s) to make that a real surprise) meaning that one should urge them to actually come up with a better idea for her death.

That thing about unreliable narrators is an interesting point. The uncertainties makes for atmosphere and mentality in the books however, TV as medium can easily make that up with lighting, music or even extras to convey.

I can see the Rhaenyra's demise-plot playing out very well, actually. With Aegon III watching it could be the Red Wedding-moment imm.

It's a better plot twist than certain other Targ queens ever got... 

21 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Please don't.

:D :D:D Sorry and not sorry at the same time.

1 hour ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

the show would probably go with the most shocking explanations (created by Mushroom)

Isn't D&D with Star Wars now? 

3 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

I am afraid that such kind of show will transfer character like Larys to "pro-smallfolk nonsense" as predecessor did to eunuch.

Well, that would make more sense than George's Larys who behaves rather inconsistently and whose goals are deliberately leaft completely mysteriously. Staying true to that vision of George's would also not really work. At least not in a show that tries to be internally consistents - which would be a first for a GoT show ;-).

3 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Actually, the first episode ending with Larys Strong killing his own family in burning of Harrenhall would create the falling-Bran effect. I know that Larys is only one of the suspects (which include Viserys I) but the show would probably go with the most shocking explanations (created by Mushroom) to mysteries in the Princess and the Queen.

I don't think that could be a first episode - if they don't start with the death Dance proper (i.e. with the death of King Viserys) then they should actually go back to the death of Prince Baelon and give us the first Great Council, along with the proper introduction of the Hightower faction, the rivalry Baelon's sons and the Velaryons, the young Rhaenyra, etc. Without sufficient buildup - stretching over 1-2 seasons people would simply not been invested all that much. The War of the Five Kings also starts only at the end of season 1 of the show, so this kind of buildup would be necessary.

But you certainly are right that any sane show runner would go with the most hilarious/fun version - Beesbury is going to be thrown out of the window, not catching a cold, Aegon II is going to be introduced as a drunk guy in a rat pit fucking a child, Alicent is going to bathe in the blood of Blood's family (or at least demanding that they been found and slaughtered so she can bathe in their blood), Rhaenyra is going to make Alicent and Helaena into whores, and Aegon II will be an impotent voyeur after his restoration.

An interesting artistic choice would be to retain the fake history angle - by having Mushroom, Eustace, and Munkun (who is often quoting Orwyle's illegible scribbles) as contradicting narrators. That way key plots like the Criston-Rhaenyra story, etc. could be given in variations without there being 'a canonical truth'. Many shows have 'unreliable narrator' special episodes, anyway, so it might not be completely impossible to use such a device for the entire show - or at least for crucial scene where it would be fun to have multiple contradicting versions.

2 hours ago, Sigella said:

I can see the Rhaenyra's demise-plot playing out very well, actually. With Aegon III watching it could be the Red Wedding-moment imm.

Oh, the scene works very well, but how do you buildup to that moment. In the book Aegon II surprises both Rhaenyra and the reader - if the audience is also supposed to be surprised by that scene we would have to have Aegon II disappearing after the Fall of KL which could mean the guy doesn't show up on screen for 1-2 seasons. Is that something that could work?

If they did not give us the Dragonstone events leading up to that in flashback it wouldn't be a surprise. And if it isn't a surprise it isn't that powerful a scene. If Rhaenyra's letter reached Aegon II shortly after he took the castle nobody would be surprised that she walked into a trap.

With Rhaenyra neither being particularly sympathetic (and even less heroic) this would also not be comparable to the Red Wedding. Aegon II would likely even be less sympathetic than Rhaenyra, but a villain killing a gray character doesn't have much potential for tragedy.

2 hours ago, Sigella said:

It's a better plot twist than certain other Targ queens ever got...

Dany gets a better death scene than Rhaenyra. The motivation and backstory is nonsense, but Jon killing her is actually a pretty good idea in principle.

snap-to, GRRM just made a Not-A-Blog update:

• Points to EW article alone, which very clearly said "it's about the Dance of the Dragons"
  •  He DID subtly stress that "Fire & Blood contains enough material to sustain a dozen TV shows"....i.e. it's NOT an anthology adapting ALL of Fire & Blood, but a specific story
  • To remind everyone: not in this, but a few months ago, he said that "two of the prequel pitches are based on Fire & Blood material"....they couldn't possibly have pitched the whole thing as one series.
  • He seems surprisingly optimistic that they might make more than one show at the SAME TIME
  • ….He actually doesn't see this as a rejection of the Long Night prequel.  I, myself...DO think that prequel idea will or should be rejected....but so did Elio & Linda.  HOWEVER, he also says he actually hasn't seen the rough cut pilot yet.
  • this Ryan Condal prequel, assuredly about the Dance of the Dragons, "doesn't have the obvious title" - whatever that means.

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/09/16/i-could-tell-you/

… but then I’d have to kill you.

Yes, yes, I know.   The internet is full of stories about a second GAME OF THRONES prequel moving closer to  production.   There are stories in the HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, DEADLINE, dozens of other places.   You’ve seen them, I suppose.   Since one cannot put the genie back in the lamp, here’s a link to one of the most complete, from ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY.
    https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/12/game-of-thrones-prequel-targaryens/

Many people have been emailing me since these stories hit the web, asking me to confirm or deny.

Sorry.   Can’t.   Well, not much, in any case.   Yes, I can confirm that HBO put several GAMES OF THRONES successor shows in development at one point.   There were four to start with.   Then five.   Then three.   I’ve said all that before.   Jane Goldman’s as yet untitled show, which I am still not supposed to call THE LONG NIGHT, is one of those.   The pilot on that one wrapped a month ago and has been in post-production.  I am expecting to see her first cut soon.   (Last month in Belfast, I got a behind-the-scenes look at some of her sets, and they were spectacular).

The show stirring up all the internet headlines right now is one of the others.   Also a prequel.   Set thousands of years after Jane’s show in the history of Westeros.  And yes, it is based on material from one of my books.

((FWIW, those who have read FIRE & BLOOD will realize it contains enough materials for a dozen shows)).

This one has a title, but no one else has revealed it, so I had better not either.  ((But it’s not the obvious title)).
    It has a script and a bible, and both of them are terrific, first rate, exciting.   They’re the work of RYAN CONDAL.   I first met Ryan when he came to New Mexico a couple of years ago to shoot a pilot for a fantasy western called THE SIXTH GUN, based on the comic book.   That show did not go, though I had the pleasure of screening the pilot at my theatre, the Jean Cocteau.   Later we also did a premiere for COLONY, the aliens-in-LA series that Ryan created and ran.   He’s a helluva strong writer, and a huge fan of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, Dunk & Egg, and Westeros in general.   I’ve loved working with him, and if the Seven Gods and HBO are kind, I hope to keep on working with him for years to come on this new successor show, the title of which is…

Ooops.  Almost slipped.   Can’t say yet.

I can say that there will be dragons.   Everyone else has said that, so why not me?

I do want to point out that “moving closer to a pilot order” is NOT the same thing as “getting a pilot order.”  Would that it were.   This is encouraging, this is exciting, but don’t buy the couch just yet.   When HBO actually gives us a pilot order, you will hear me shouting it from the rooftops.   A series order, and I’ll be shouting even louder.    But we’ll see.   Right now all the signs are good, but nothing is confirmed.

Some websites are suggesting that the news about Ryan’s show moving forward means that Jane’s show won’t.   If that’s so, no one has told me.   I don’t think it’s so.   I love what Ryan has done, but I’m excited about the possibilities for Jane’s series as well.  Jane and I had dinner in London (at Rule’s, great spot, oldest restaurant in England, Charles Dickens and H.G. Wells ate there, it was a thrill to break bread with their ghosts), and her enthusiasm was palpable.   The world of Ice & Fire is a WORLD, boys and girls.   Huge continents, ten thousand years of history, cities, deserts, oceans, mysteries, triumphs and tragedies.  If there were indeed eight million stories in The Naked City in the 50s, surely there are eight billion stories to be told about Westeros, Essos, Sothoryos, and the lands beyond the Sunset Sea, south of Oz and north of Shangri-La…

And in these days of a hundred networks, channels, and streaming services, I think television has plenty of room for two shows set in Westeros… or hell, maybe three or four… I still want to do SPEARCARRIERS, after all.

So sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the flock.

2 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Perhaps it will be called something closer to The Princess and the Queen, rather than the Dance of the Dragons.

I guess they want to include GOT in the title, but GOT:tDoD looks too long. So maybe something like GOT:Dragonlore?

16 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Oh, the scene works very well, but how do you buildup to that moment. In the book Aegon II surprises both Rhaenyra and the reader - if the audience is also supposed to be surprised by that scene we would have to have Aegon II disappearing after the Fall of KL which could mean the guy doesn't show up on screen for 1-2 seasons. Is that something that could work?

If they did not give us the Dragonstone events leading up to that in flashback it wouldn't be a surprise. And if it isn't a surprise it isn't that powerful a scene. If Rhaenyra's letter reached Aegon II shortly after he took the castle nobody would be surprised that she walked into a trap.

With Rhaenyra neither being particularly sympathetic (and even less heroic) this would also not be comparable to the Red Wedding. Aegon II would likely even be less sympathetic than Rhaenyra, but a villain killing a gray character doesn't have much potential for tragedy.

Idk, him disappearing isn't that bad, we still have the rest of the Greens (Aemon first and foremost), plus Blacks searching for Aegon II so it could definitely work. In my mind it does anyway. :) Maybe some small scenes of Aegon suffering from his burns and broken legs and all but with super small clues as to where he is could do the trick.

Rhaenyra might not be entirely sympathetic but she was the heir to the throne and with Aegon III (already a little pale shadow) watching when she gets eaten by a dragon makes is that much more shocking, it will be the unjustness that will carry the biggest shock value.

To me Cat isn't entirely sympathetic either so that's not a problem. Just, instead of guest right being defiled, it'll be the kinslaying that gets front seat in the aftermath.

4 hours ago, Ser Uncle P said:

Will be interesting to see if House Velaryon is included.

If they were to cut Corlys and his wife and family, they would essentially tell a different story. That wouldn't work. And one assumes that they would be happy to have new houses and locations to show us (Driftmark and the towns and castles there could be exciting new locations).

4 hours ago, Ser Uncle P said:

They were (understandably) omitted from GOT but as largest navy and  de facto Dragonlord and cadet branch of the Targaryens...surely HBO can't omit them...history and lore animated synopsis of the Dance omitted them. 

They did not completely omit the Velaryons there, they toned them down. Corlys is there and Rhaenys is his wife, although stupidly the sister of Viserys I.

23 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Idk, him disappearing isn't that bad, we still have the rest of the Greens (Aemon first and foremost), plus Blacks searching for Aegon II so it could definitely work. In my mind it does anyway. :) Maybe some small scenes of Aegon suffering from his burns and broken legs and all but with super small clues as to where he is could do the trick.

Oh, one could certainly try to tell the story. My point simply is that I don't think that kind of story translate well on television. Aegon II would be one of the main characters - and you don't like to make a main character disappear for an entire season or more. Just look how they dealt with Jaime in season 2 of GoT. And Aegon II would effectively disappear much sooner considering he would be in a drug-induced sleep for a rather long time prior to his disappearance. They could work around that, by giving us scenes in his bedroom, etc. but it is still somewhat problematic.

23 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Rhaenyra might not be entirely sympathetic but she was the heir to the throne and with Aegon III (already a little pale shadow) watching when she gets eaten by a dragon makes is that much more shocking, it will be the unjustness that will carry the biggest shock value.

Depending how Rhaenyra will be portrayed it might not exactly be all that unjust... If they make her the instigator of Blood and Cheese, if they show her being happy about Maelor's death, if they have her enjoy the humiliation of Helaena and Alicent (or have her indeed command the murder of Helaena!) then there would be little redeemable about Rhaenyra - if you keep in mind that she definitely should, in addition, command the arrest of Addam Velaryon and the murder of Nettles.

Archived