Which Character(s) or House was ruined the most by GOT?

terloublag

House sigil? Well the Targaryen sigil with its four-legged dragon. House Stark and its different sigil because making an entire direwolf was apparently too hard.

As for the houses themselves:

House Tyrell with their history of sucking at fighting.

House Lannister with their lack of gold.

House Manderly with their lack of loyalty and faith.

On 2/19/2020 at 2:08 PM, The hairy bear said:

Stannis was portrayed in some scenes as a religious fanatic, in others as a stubborn conservative, in others as a fierce defender of Shireen, etc. And it's fine that he has multiple facets. The problem is the how they were changed randomly, at the service of the requirements of the particular scene he was in. I one scene he was an skeptic and contradicted Melisandre, in the next one he seemed to follow her without hesitation, and in most he just was there without voicing any opinion.

The way good writers develop a character is by creating arcs. If you know (as the D&D knew) that Stannis will end burning his daughter as a sacrifice to R'hllor, you should show us how he gradually becomes more and more desperate, and throws himself  more and more at Melisandre's hands. They should have showed how Renly's death, the defeat at the Blackwater, the death of the three rival kings, etc. changed his relation with Melisandre and made him a believer.

Even failing to do that beforehand, once you are about to have a character murder her daughter, you should try to give him a sensible reason. We are talking about Stannis, who resisted the siege of Storm's End, refusing to surrender even when they had to resort to eat rats, and all that for a brother he didn't even like. Are we to believe that this man would kill his daughter at the first complication? If they want us to swallow that, they should have put a much greater effort to show how the situation was desperate. Show us how they tried for alternatives before. Show us how Stannis really is struggling with the decision. And most of all, do not insult the viewers by having Ramsay cause this supposedly inescapable situation with only "20 good men".

I don't know if you are aware that Stephen Dillane agrees that the character of Stannis was awfully written. He had harsh criticism for D&D after leaving the show, complaining that he could make no sense of what was written for him. He also says that no one was giving him directions on the character, and he admits he was lucky that Liam Cunningham- Davos (a fan of the books) was there to explain him how was Stannis supposed to behave at any time. Which is ironic, because D&D had actually asked to the actors not to read the books.

Well I guess they didn't do that much of a job to get the actors not to read the books; Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy) read them and was highly disappointed when he was killed in Season 5.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ser Barristan Selmy. Barristan the Bold, former Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. This was the man who in the books did a solo rescue mission in Duskendale. He was crucial to ending the Blackfyre Rebellion. Jaime effing Lannister squired for him.

In the later seasons I kept thinking, man, if only Daenerys still had Barristan Selmy around, they wouldn't have concocted all those dreadful battle tactics we saw in the show. We would have seen several trenches filled with hurdles for the undead. The Dothraki would still have their riders. And most importantly they wouldn't have lost two dragons before reaching King's Landing. That was where I felt the lost of Stannis and Barristan, but mostly Barristan.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/15/2021 at 3:53 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

The Starks and Lannisters got mauled pretty badly, but it at least didn't go extinct like House Martell and House Tyrell

Well, they're all set to die out anyways. There's no Lannisters left aside from Tyrion and maybe Reginald, while among the Starks, Jon can't father children because of his vows, Bran physically can't have kids, Arya isn't the mothering type, and according to her actress, Sansa's going to live out her life and not have kids... leaving things up to a succession crisis when she dies (this is my supposition).

• 1 month later...

Just the sigil? The Stark sigil on the show looks lame. It's not even a snow white field, it's just beige with some green. It's not a running direwolf, it's just the head. Way to get the "winter is coming" motto wrong.

I also can't stand that the sigil of House Targaryen in the show has taken over the books as well. 

The show in general goes for very muted colours for the sigils. Kind of symptomatic to the muted colours in the clothes of the characters.

• 9 months later...

The house that got screwed over the most was arguably the Tyrells, since they were completely obliterated. Martell may or may not have gone extinct, depending on which house the "new prince of Dorne" was from. The Baratheons were also treated pretty terribly, although they were resurrected via Gendry. The show also killed off the Mormonts, the Boltons. . . were there others? I think the female Freys are still alive.

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 12:53 AM, Raksha 2014 said:

House Martell, apparently obliterated with no consequences (i.e. their Dornish vassals ousting the bastard Ellaria and her accomplices in the murders of a reigning prince and his only heir - tolerating bastards is one thing, allowing three of them to murder a prince and his son is another).  And what happened to Oberyn's younger daughters (in the show, as in the books, he has eight daughters); did they disappear?  Unless the unnamed Dornish guy who turns up at the council in King's Landing in the last episode is a distant Martell cousin; but they don't even say who he is.

My headcanon is that's Quentyn Martell and he's coming back from COMPLETELY MISSING Daenerys.

Giving him the happy ending he deserved.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9rM_J8CMAAJ2Kg.jpg

Archived