NFL 2019: Wake Belichick Up, When September Ends...

Jace, Extat

54 minutes ago, Fez said:

Well this Jets reached disaster levels even faster than I thought.

Guess its time to pick an NFC team to half-heartedly root for and get ready for the NBA season. Hmm, I do have some friends that are Eagles fans...

You’ve spent your life rooting for a team that makes you hate yourself. Seems like the Racial Slurs are a natural fit for you, especially when you consider how they’re bleeding fans.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You’ve spent your life rooting for a team that makes you hate yourself. Seems like the Racial Slurs are a natural fit for you, especially when you consider how they’re bleeding fans.

Hell no. I live in DC already, I've seen up close what being a Washington fan does long term to a person's mental health and well being. Plus, Woody Johnson may be a Trump guy, but I assume most of the NFL owners are, and, beyond that, Dan Snyder is way more loathsome.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Well this Jets reached disaster levels even faster than I thought.

Guess its time to pick an NFC team to half-heartedly root for and get ready for the NBA season. Hmm, I do have some friends that are Eagles fans...

And their uniforms are the same color.  Oh wait... the Jets are now that ugly Jet Green.  

(living in Philly, the Eagles are my other team right now since I can't bring myself to root for the Giants)

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

Hell no. I live in DC already, I've seen up close what being a Washington fan does long term to a person's mental health and well being. Plus, Woody Johnson may be a Trump guy, but I assume most of the NFL owners are, and, beyond that, Dan Snyder is way more loathsome.

The Eagles are one of the notably anti-Trump NFL teams, being pretty unambiguous in supporting kneeling players.  So they have that going for them. 

10 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Lol! People think Eli is done! He'll be back in the starting lineup by week 6. 

Right because that's when they play New England. He got a whiff of another perfect Patriots season that only he can wreck. 

Final Score: Patriots 78, Giants 0

56 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Lol! People think Eli is done! He'll be back in the starting lineup by week 6. 

Only if Jones gets hurt. Gettleman needs to be fired ASAP. I can understand wanting to draft Jones but why, oh why would you pay Eli his salary unless your trying to win this year and let’s he honest, this roster is putrid. 

23 hours ago, Fez said:

Idk Fez, I’d prefer you be a Skins fan and feel dead inside rather than suffer this type of misery:

On 9/17/2019 at 3:27 PM, Jaime L said:

Final Score: Patriots 78, Giants 0

Have you seen those opening drives? 78-7 makes a little more sense.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Listening to more sports talk radio than usual today......these "Eli is a HoFer" conversations need to end immediately. He is not, not even close.

It’s laughable to me too, but he probably will make it. Longevity, rings, SB MVP’s, the right last name and a big market team. 

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Listening to more sports talk radio than usual today......these "Eli is a HoFer" conversations need to end immediately. He is not, not even close.

15 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

It’s laughable to me too, but he probably will make it. Longevity, rings, SB MVP’s, the right last name and a big market team. 

Ramsay is right. It's even less a question of whether he will get in (absolutely) than whether he deserves it (absolutely not). 

Dude had 3 good seasons in his whole career. Never had a passer rating of 94 in a season. And doesn't even have a 2:1 INT ratio.

Seriously, less than 16 percent of his career did he even have a GOOD season. There are no elite Eli seasons to refer you to, just a small amount of pretty good. 

He'll make it in his first year of eligibility.

Taco Charlton waived. Yikes!

Meanwhile, Jace just put on the pilot of the Bernie Mac Show. I used to watch the shit out of this series back during Fox reruns and I don't think I've seen an episode since I was sleeping on a bare sweat-soaked mattress in San Antone when it went off the air. 

19 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Taco Charlton waived. Yikes!

Yeah this Taco thing has been coming since the end of last year. Dude just doesn't fit in with what Dallas does rotating people around and inside. Sucks because I was happy when they drafted him. One of the few first round misses Dallas has had in a while.

The Fitzpatrick trade could be a really bad one for Pittsburgh. They gave up their 2020 1st rounder, which is likely a top 10 pick, in a year that has a lot of "franchise" quarterbacks in it. Ahem, I believe they need one of those unless they truly believe they already have one. They also gave up 2020 5th rd pick and 2021 6th rd pick. 

Or they get a safety that fits their system and he becomes the next great Pitt safety.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Yeah this Taco thing has been coming since the end of last year. Dude just doesn't fit in with what Dallas does rotating people around and inside. Sucks because I was happy when they drafted him. One of the few first round misses Dallas has had in a while.

The Fitzpatrick trade could be a really bad one for Pittsburgh. They gave up their 2020 1st rounder, which is likely a top 10 pick, in a year that has a lot of "franchise" quarterbacks in it. Ahem, I believe they need one of those unless they truly believe they already have one. They also gave up 2020 5th rd pick and 2021 6th rd pick. 

Or they get a safety that fits their system and he becomes the next great Pitt safety.

I find the Steelers trade both idiotic and oddly reasonable by turns.

On the one hand, it's as you say. They're 0-2 with a 2nd year mid-round QB and the Ravens are going to win this division. That first round pick could be what would have allowed them to pull off a Rodgers/Mahomes situation (I firmly believe in letting your rookie sit IF YOU HAVE A GOOD STARTER) should this campaign continue to go poorly.

On the other hand... Fitzpatrick is really versatile and there was (short lived, but still) talk of him being one of the 3 best players in his class before the Draft Industrial Complex pushed a bunch of mediocre QB's into the top-10 discussion. A first round pick for a guy the Dolphins were lucky to get at 10 isn't a bad deal in a vacuum... but it's not a vacuum. If the Steelers make the playoffs then this is a fantastic trade, but I'm not sure if they're aware that the playoffs are a very very long way away from 0-2 with a Hall of Fame rapist done for the year.

26 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I know it's just two games and it was Miami and Arizona, but did half the world dismiss Lamarr Jackson because how he speaks?  

Not like he wasn't unreal in college and not like he didn't throw it plenty.  

No, he just should have been playing WR because he's not smart enough doesn't have the skull dimples is too short?

Bill Polian famously stated that he was too short to play QB less than half a decade after extolling the virtues of one Johnnathan 'Johnny Fucktard' Manziel as the future face of the QB position.

For reference, Manziel was generously listed at 6'0" during the scouting combine while the same people measured Jackson at 6'2".

Just in case you found it hard to believe that a 70s-something white motherfucker might let race color his perceptions.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

No, he just should have been playing WR because he's not smart enough doesn't have the skull dimples is too short?

Bill Polian famously stated that he was too short to play QB less than half a decade after extolling the virtues of one Johnnathan 'Johnny Fucktard' Manziel as the future face of the QB position.

For reference, Manziel was generously listed at 6'0" during the scouting combine while the same people measured Jackson at 6'2".

Just in case you found it hard to believe that a 70s-something white motherfucker might let race color his perceptions.

I heard something that reminds me of this shit today on NFL Live on ESPN. They were talking about Cam Newton and ( I do not remember the guys name, but he was the oldest and white) someone said well, Cam was never a cerebral QB who was going to sit back and read the defense... Marcus Spears gave him some serious side eye and said, well he was cerebral enough to know to use his athletic gifts!  (paraphrasing both)

It was just the way the one guy mentioned Cams mental abilities that stood out.

I had never heard about Polian saying Lamar Jackson was too short, at 6' 2"??????  Yeah that's too short

CURRENT SEASON ONLY   Mahomes, Watson, Rodgers, Mayfield, Brees, Wilson, Prescott, Trubisky, Garoppolo, Carr, Stafford, Dalton, Murray, and Fitzpatrick are all listed as 6' 2" or SHORTER. Pretty good list of QB's, several super bowl wins, NFL MVP wins, tons of pro bowls and a couple sure fire HOF's.

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I heard something that reminds me of this shit today on NFL Live on ESPN. They were talking about Cam Newton and ( I do not remember the guys name, but he was the oldest and white) someone said well, Cam was never a cerebral QB who was going to sit back and read the defense... Marcus Spears gave him some serious side eye and said, well he was cerebral enough to know to use his athletic gifts!  (paraphrasing both)

It was just the way the one guy mentioned Cams mental abilities that stood out.

I had never heard about Polian saying Lamar Jackson was too short, at 6' 2"??????  Yeah that's too short

CURRENT SEASON ONLY   Mahomes, Watson, Rodgers, Mayfield, Brees, Wilson, Prescott, Trubisky, Garoppolo, Carr, Stafford, Dalton, Murray, and Fitzpatrick are all listed as 6' 2" or SHORTER. Pretty good list of QB's, several super bowl wins, NFL MVP wins, tons of pro bowls and a couple sure fire HOF's.

Yeah, there's a lot of that that goes around in the NFL. It was common knowledge in the league that a black quarterback just couldn't execute an offense at the pro level until Doug Williams and Washington won the Superbowl in 87. Like, they would talk about that shit openly. It wasn't even a controversial opinion until after Steve McNair won co-MVP. And if you go ahead and google when Air McNair won co-MVP there's a 60% chance that you vomit from rage. 

Also, the "he should play WR/TE" take has always infuriated me. I think it's a sign of laziness and/or lack of understanding what makes a QB good. I recall especially all the idiots declaring that Tim Tebow needed to play TE. Because that's something you just do. Wake up one day and play a position you've never attempted at or above the capabilities of no more than 100 other humans who are the best in the world at what they do.

The fact that people like Terrell Pryor and... Matt Jones??? Can make the switch is a testament to those men's fantastic physical and mental capabilities, not some road map to relevance for guys who can't make the transition from college to pro.

Here's a ringer article about that Polian quote.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/2/20/17032538/lamar-jackson-quarterback-bill-polian-wide-receiver

Archived