NFL 2019: Wake Belichick Up, When September Ends...

Jace, Extat

On Eli and the HoF, the thing to keep in mind is that QBs like Joe Namath and Ken Stabler are in the Hall, and the absolute best QBs that aren't in the Hall are probably Ken Anderson and Randall Cunningham. There's no backlog on QBs getting in the way most other positions have. Eli is getting in easily.

15 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

It’s laughable to me too, but he probably will make it. Longevity, rings, SB MVP’s, the right last name and a big market team. 

Funnily enough, those things shouldn’t matter at all when determining if a player is a HoFer or not.

14 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Dude had 3 good seasons in his whole career. Never had a passer rating of 94 in a season. And doesn't even have a 2:1 INT ratio.

Three? I can find his first two years with OBJ, but where’s the third? Everything else has been average or bad.

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

That fucking 18 td 27 int season too. Every pass that year I felt was gonna be picked. He also just has a .500 record now. Obviously not all his fault but still.

Funnily enough, I thought he was already done in 2007 when he threw four Ints for three pick sixes against the Viks. They were all terrible passes, and he could have easily thrown a few more.

To steal someone else’s take, if he makes it to the HoF, his bust needs to be held up by the D-Line that won him his two Owls (they also should have both SB MVPs).

I almost feel like I have to recuse myself from discussions of Eli Manning's career and legacy, but his playoff record is mind-boggling. He's 8-4, with those eight wins coming from two Super Bowl runs. The other four times (in a sixteen year career!) he went to the playoffs, he was one and done. With quarterback ratings in those single games of 35.0, 85.6, 40.7, and 72.1.

But yeah, he'll get into the Hall.

Relatedly, please enjoy watching Paul Finebaum get ripped apart for calling Cam Newton "selfish" and "done" minutes after waxing poetically about how "classy" Eli Manning has been to quietly play with such dignity while stinking up his team for so many years. Ryan Clark drowns Finebaum's dignity in a bathtub while the camera keeps Finebaum visible so we can enjoy his tortured gesticulations.

https://deadspin.com/heartwarming-paul-finebaum-gets-his-ass-handed-to-him-1838216593

16 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Relatedly, please enjoy watching Paul Finebaum get ripped apart for calling Cam Newton "selfish" and "done" minutes after waxing poetically about how "classy" Eli Manning has been to quietly play with such dignity while stinking up his team for so many years. Ryan Clark drowns Finebaum's dignity in a bathtub while the camera keeps Finebaum visible so we can enjoy his tortured gesticulations.

https://deadspin.com/heartwarming-paul-finebaum-gets-his-ass-handed-to-him-1838216593

Yeah, that was shameful and pathetic. Just another example that almost anyone can do sports entertainment. Domonique Foxworth was hilarious in the background though.   

When it comes to Eli and the HoF, I kinda ask myself; "Can you tell the story of the NFL without Eli Manning?"

And truthfully, I don't think you can talk about the late 2000's/early 20teens without including the Eli stories.  So to me, he's in.

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And truthfully, I don't think you can talk about the late 2000's/early 20teens without including the Eli stories.  So to me, he's in.

TV Bran loves this.  It's all about stories!!!

On 9/15/2019 at 7:41 PM, dbunting said:

I never said it would be a good trade! I said I would like it, and I am a Cowboys fan, so I would like a trade that benefited them.

Well, the Dolphins got Taco after all. And it gets covered as an afterthought to the news that Rosen will start.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27653244/fins-switch-qb-rosen-add-taco-d

36 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

And who has a better story than Eli the Average? 

You won the interwebs today, sir.

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Well, the Dolphins got Taco after all. And it gets covered as an afterthought to the news that Rosen will start.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27653244/fins-switch-qb-rosen-add-taco-d

He's so screwed. I really thought he could be the best of the batch, but that looks unlikely as of now. Rosen's likely going to be remembered as a cautionary tale of how bad franchises can ruin high end prospects.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's so screwed. I really thought he could be the best of the batch, but that looks unlikely as of now. Rosen's likely going to be remembered as a cautionary tale of how bad franchises can ruin high end prospects.

Or how if you dare give a fuck about anything other than creating profits for old white men then you're not a viable QB prospect.

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Or how if you dare give a fuck about anything other than creating profits for old white men then you're not a viable QB prospect.

I guess this just speaks to how amazing A.A.Ron is. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

When it comes to Eli and the HoF, I kinda ask myself; "Can you tell the story of the NFL without Eli Manning?"

But since when is that the standard for the HOF? The only reason he is part of the story truly is the Patriots unbeaten season getting ruined, take that away and he is a average at best QB with a defense dominated SB win and a long career. 

You are supposed to be a dominant player at your position for 8 +/-years. Winning helps, championships help more, but when was he ever dominant or feared?

I do sadly agree that he will get in but if I ever go to Canton for a visit I will look on his bust with scorn and will verbally tsk tsk!!!

If Eli can get in after a mediocre-at-best career punctuated by a couple of great postseason runs, I guess Julian Edelman can get in, right? He's a better receiver than Eli is a quarterback, and he's been consistently great in the postseason.

I don't actually expect Edelman to get in, and I realize that it just works differently for quarterbacks, but still.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think it's possible that Rosen just sucks.  Like, Darnold and Mayfield were in pretty awful situations (at least for the first eight games for Mayfield), but both of them at least showed some flashes that they could be great.  Mayfield, even when Jackson was still coaching, was just making throws that were incredible, and Darnold absolutely tore it up the last month of the season.  

Rosen was just a dumpster fire of suck, and he had the best weapons of the three.  The dude had David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, and Christian Kirk had a really good rookie year.  Yeah, the coaching sucked, but it sucked in Cleveland and New York too.

13 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think it's possible that Rosen just sucks.  Like, Darnold and Mayfield were in pretty awful situations (at least for the first eight games for Mayfield), but both of them at least showed some flashes that they could be great.  Mayfield, even when Jackson was still coaching, was just making throws that were incredible, and Darnold absolutely tore it up the last month of the season.  

Rosen was just a dumpster fire of suck, and he had the best weapons of the three.  The dude had David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, and Christian Kirk had a really good rookie year.  Yeah, the coaching sucked, but it sucked in Cleveland and New York too.

The o line was putrid and Rosen led a game winning drive that cost Mike McCarthy his job. I think Darnold is the worst QB taken last year, personally. (Allen is worse at throwing but his legs are undeniably dynamic)

Also they fired their offensive coordinator like 5 games into the year.

Meanwhile, Gardna 'The Garden Snake' Minshew is at it again.

37 minutes ago, briantw said:

Cleveland did that too and got better.  :lol:

You know that's a freakish anomaly right? 

26 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Fournette has been completely neutralized.

There's a reason I sent out 5 trade offers with him in Experts today. No bites, unfortunately.

Archived