NFL 2019: Wake Belichick Up, When September Ends...

Jace, Extat

So I missed the OPI that got overturned on the Iggles TD, but I really like that the two DPI challenges were called as stands on the field. Both were pass interference, but the rule was specifically made for horrific misses like in the NFC Championship. Good use of judgement not to overturn either.

5 minutes ago, Triskele said:

So few moments of real relevance since he came to Green Bay.  He's not worthless, but he's not special, and he got talked about like he was special quite a bit back in the day.  

Yeah, I remember people talking about how he'd be better than Gronk. Even at his physical prime he was too timid making catches.

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah, I remember people talking about how he'd be better than Gronk. Even at his physical prime he was too timid making catches.

His success was 100% Drew Brees ball placement. The fact that he couldn't hack it in Seattle proves how soft he was. Russ throws a catchable ball but you gotta be willing to fight for it.

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

Uh, was that not PI there at the goal line?  Not the worst I've ever seen, but I swear dude was early and draping and stuff.

Huge win for Philadelphia.  

No that looked a lot like PI.. why wasn't that reviewed with it being under 2 minutes? Feel like I haven't kept up properly with the NFL rule changes in the last few years.

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

That jumped out to me too.  I was like "now that we're reviewing PI's how was that PI not reviewed given the situation?"  

Don't want to take anything away from Eagles who played so well, and no guarantee that Green Bay would have won, but wtf on commentators not even saying anything.  

I know it's not what you wanna hear after a loss, but I can't stand when that kinda play is called PI. Yes, he made contact. But he did not seriously impact the receiver and was playing the ball. The rules already favor the offense too much.

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

That's a fair response, all good.  Just seeing it again now on SVP...it's a letter of the law v. spirit of the law thing, and I can see a strong spirit of the law case that this was a good no call.

That said, it makes me realize that I still have a question about the situationality of when PI is reviewable...

It can be challenged by a coach, as we've seen. And it can be reviewed on scoring plays or under 2 minutes as dictated by the booth. What I think needs to be reinforced (and I wish the analysts all had a large-print statement from the league to read in such instances) is that the rule was not made to allow review of any given potential pass interference. It was made to make sure that the Nikel Roby-Coleman play never happens again. That's why they didn't overturn the two challenges earlier in the game. Both were clearly PI on replay by the letter of the law, and if called on the field no one could have complained. But the rule wasn't made to overturn a close call, that's not what it's there for.

14 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That man is taking a stand. I love it.

If I’m his adviser, I’d hand him a study outlining how beneficial it is for a newborn to spend extensive time with his father during the first six months of its life and suggest he read it in full at a press conference, implying that he’ll only go back to work if his situation improves and justifies it.

12 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It can be challenged by a coach, as we've seen. And it can be reviewed on scoring plays or under 2 minutes as dictated by the booth. What I think needs to be reinforced (and I wish the analysts all had a large-print statement from the league to read in such instances) is that the rule was not made to allow review of any given potential pass interference. It was made to make sure that the Nikel Roby-Coleman play never happens again. That's why they didn't overturn the two challenges earlier in the game. Both were clearly PI on replay by the letter of the law, and if called on the field no one could have complained. But the rule wasn't made to overturn a close call, that's not what it's there for.

I thought I wanted the ability to review PI. I'm generally of the belief that all the razor thin distinctions the NFL has made over the years between what's reviewable and what isn't has led to some ridiculous, indefensible non-calls. 

But now that we actually have it and see the shit that's being challenged, I'm fine just scrapping it entirely. NFL games take fucking forever as is between all the commercial breaks, flags on seemingly every play, and stoppages in play where we wait to see if guys will ever walk again and question why we watch this to begin with.

Now you have endless parsing of reviews riding on "sure that's PI, but it happens on every play....the question is whether it's egregious enough" and the specific opinion of the ref involved. Nothing is any clearer. We're not getting any closer to the truth. And the game is more disjointed than ever. It's like they keep duct taping over something that's broken or controversial and now they've ended up with this unwieldly, unmangeable duct tape ball that they'll never be able to unwind. 

33 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I thought I wanted the ability to review PI. I'm generally of the belief that all the razor thin distinctions the NFL has made over the years between what's reviewable and what isn't has led to some ridiculous, indefensible non-calls. 

But now that we actually have it and see the shit that's being challenged, I'm fine just scrapping it entirely. NFL games take fucking forever as is between all the commercial breaks, flags on seemingly every play, and stoppages in play where we wait to see if guys will ever walk again and question why we watch this to begin with.

Now you have endless parsing of reviews riding on "sure that's PI, but it happens on every play....the question is whether it's egregious enough" and the specific opinion of the ref involved. Nothing is any clearer. We're not getting any closer to the truth. And the game is more disjointed than ever. It's like they keep duct taping over something that's broken or controversial and now they've ended up with this unwieldly, unmangeable duct tape ball that they'll never be able to unwind. 

I thought they should have just put another official in the booth to correct horrific missed or phantom calls. Someone who could take away that god awful roughing call that let the Bears win in Denver and knows that the two challenges from last night are not what we are looking to overturn. 

Really though, the league has no idea what it's doing so everything they touch is undermined by incompetence.

45 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I thought they should have just put another official in the booth to correct horrific missed or phantom calls. Someone who could take away that god awful roughing call that let the Bears win in Denver and knows that the two challenges from last night are not what we are looking to overturn. 

Really though, the league has no idea what it's doing so everything they touch is undermined by incompetence.

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

The problem is that the refs are just as bad at reviewing the calls as they are making them.  They might as well scrap it because they're just making themselves look stupid by constantly blowing the reviews.  

10 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

The standard to overturn a PI/non-PI call needs to be "so egregious that it would be detrimental to the game as a whole for a call to be made/not made".  And you should be able to make that decision in ten seconds.

100% agree. I don't think the coaches should even be in charge of challenging said plays either.

Archived