Jace, Basilissa

NFL 2019: Wake Belichick Up, When September Ends...

2 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

lol stop... Let's not look too much into a popular song being played during a sporting event. Christ...

I think it was a comment on the lack of self-awareness displayed by these organizations.

10 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I think it was a comment on the lack of self-awareness displayed by these organizations.

It was indeed. 

I'm sure that's on the approved song list for all NFL teams, which just shows you how little they consider any of this shit.  It wasn't meant to single out the Steelers directly. 

Edited by briantw

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Richie Incognito continues to be the beating heart of that outfit.

Did you see the recent HBO Real Sports segment with him? Dude is, unsurprisingly, still in complete denial of himself. Jonathan Martin’s mental health issues and the media was the main cause of that whole ordeal- it had NOTHING to do with bullying. Marijuana is a major factor in his arrests and how he acted in the past. And more and more complete bs.

Gumbel did briefly bring up how someone like that is still in the NFL while Kaep is jobless.

Edited by Ramsay B.
Wrong Martin

5 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Did you see the recent HBO Real Sports segment with him? Dude is, unsurprisingly, still in complete denial of himself. Jonathan Martin’s mental health issues and the media was the main cause of that whole ordeal- it had NOTHING to do with bullying. Marijuana is a major factor in his arrests and how he acted in the past. And more and more complete bs.

Gumbel did briefly bring up how someone like that is still in the NFL while Kaep is jobless.

Nah, I missed it. The way Hard Knocks treated him like he was just a guy and even moderately personable was fucking gross. 

Showtime Tate is back! I have no idea who is gonna be in the slot between him and Shepard? If only we had a deep threat.

22 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Richie Incognito continues to be the beating heart of that outfit.

Richie Indisguise

Kirk Cousins is bad at football. An average QB would be 4-0 with this squad. It's easily the most talented team we've fielded since Brett Favre  wet the bed in the Superdome. We might have the best skill position players in the league and our defense is still top 5ish. They even fixed that sorry line from last year. But no, Kirk just sucks. Watching the all 22 tape is painful. WRs are streaking wide open as he checks down. Diggs looks like he wants to strangle him. 

Bah! 

Also, there are four teams that our currently 0-4. The combined +/- for Denver, Cincy and Washington is -128. Miami's is -137. Talk about striving for the title of worst team ever.

Just saw an article (on ESPN+, so won't link it) claiming based on "FPI" - likely another garbage metric constructed by undertrained wannabes - two of the top five most like Super Bowl matchups include the Niners.  Pats-Niners is third, and Chiefs-Niners is fifth.  As a Niners fan that seems...insanely premature.  At least let's see if they beat the Browns first.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just saw an article (on ESPN+, so won't link it) claiming based on "FPI" - likely another garbage metric constructed by undertrained wannabes - two of the top five most like Super Bowl matchups include the Niners.  Pats-Niners is third, and Chiefs-Niners is fifth.  As a Niners fan that seems...insanely premature.  At least let's see if they beat the Browns first.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the perverse glut of 'analytics' random ass numbers about the web these days.

Just now, DMC said:

I think it's just a function of the NFC still being wide open.  Going down the list I can name nine teams that can still make the case that if things break their way they'll be in the SB (ten if you're being really generous and include Carolina). 

In the AFC?  The list is much shorter, with two huge favorites and four more maybe-kinda contenders (if you're curious, that would be BUF, CLE, BAL and LAC).  And all four of those teams are dependent on their defenses improving over the regular season. 

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think it's just a function of the NFC still being wide open.  Going down the list I can name nine teams that can still make the case that if things break their way they'll be in the SB (ten if you're being really generous and include Carolina). 

In the AFC?  The list is much shorter, with two huge favorites and four more maybe-kinda contenders (if you're curious, that would be BUF, CLE, BAL and LAC).  And all four of those teams are dependent on their defenses improving over the regular season. 

The Buffalo defense needs to improve? 

7 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the perverse glut of 'analytics' random ass numbers about the web these days.

That was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  I have no foundation to say the people doing this are undertrained - in fact in all likelihood they're better trained than I am.  However, the tendency in every sport I follow to rely on these analytics is disturbing.  There's no peer review, hence no scrutiny; there's no, or very little, significance tests.  It'd be fun if I could just make up metrics and write an article with fancy graphs, but I'd get laughed out of the room in my discipline.  With sports analytics, it's encouraged, which is a problem.

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think it's just a function of the NFC still being wide open.

Yep, this is definitely why.

2 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The Buffalo defense needs to improve? 

To win the AFC?  Yes it does.  I understand they're very good, but to beat the Patriots and Chiefs in successive weeks, they'll need to be better. 

Winston looks like he’s saving his career in Tampa. I go back and forth on who is better, him or Mariota. Think my Giants are gonna need some lucky bounces to beat Minnesota this week. Zimmer is a good coach and they actually have a defense unlike our last two opponents. If we are somehow 3-3 after our next two (NE after the Vikes) I’ll make a sacrifice to the old gods and the new.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

The +/- on great Jace posts is +13,186.

47 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

To win the AFC?  Yes it does.  I understand they're very good, but to beat the Patriots and Chiefs in successive weeks, they'll need to be better. 

To steal someone else’s joke, what they need to do is stop calling plays for Josh Allen and start calling plays for Jaheem Allen.

And to steal another commentator’s joke, can we all stop and appreciate that the best QB in the league is black while the best RB is white? One step closer to racial harmony!!!  

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The +/- on great Jace posts is +13,186.

To steal someone else’s joke, what they need to do is stop calling plays for Josh Allen and start calling plays for Jaheem Allen.

And to steal another commentator’s joke, can we all stop and appreciate that the best QB in the league is black while the best RB is white? One step closer to racial harmony!!!  

Well, I assume your speaking of Mahomes and I’m pretty sure he biracial. And fantasy wise Mcaff might be #1 but he’s not the best RB in the NFL.

25 minutes ago, The Last Storm said:

Well, I assume your speaking of Mahomes and I’m pretty sure he biracial. And fantasy wise Mcaff might be #1 but he’s not the best RB in the NFL.

Oh go goosestep your way straight to hell.

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:
#NeverForget 

To be fair, his O line was really phoning it in, and the sun is in his eyes.