A Little Hatred Spolier Thread (The world of the "First Law" is back)

Crazydog7

20% through and I'm warming to all the POVs quite comfortably. Orso and Sevine are already three dimensional and Broad has an excellent first chapter. I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying the supporting characters particularly returning ones like Gorst and Finree. 

The two fencing chapters made me realise how much I've missed Jezal and Glokta. I know it's early days in the story but I was really happy that the two of them have good relationships with their kids. I beamed when Sevine loved the fact she could make her dad smile. I was really worried going into the book that Jezal and Glokta would have miserable lives because that seems to be the grimdark way but it's a nice change for them to at least have their kids

18 hours ago, red snow said:

20% through and I'm warming to all the POVs quite comfortably. Orso and Sevine are already three dimensional and Broad has an excellent first chapter. I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying the supporting characters particularly returning ones like Gorst and Finree. 

The two fencing chapters made me realise how much I've missed Jezal and Glokta. I know it's early days in the story but I was really happy that the two of them have good relationships with their kids. I beamed when Sevine loved the fact she could make her dad smile. I was really worried going into the book that Jezal and Glokta would have miserable lives because that seems to be the grimdark way but it's a nice change for them to at least have their kids

The parent-child relationships were excellently done.  Jezal and Orso was particularly touching. 

Loved wonderful and clover pissing themselves at one of the young pricks wishing he could have fought shivers. 

Poor stranger come knocking, losing to calders child after he basically saved him must have been galling. I wonder if brint will get his wife back now. 

As much as I liked the book (and I did) I think its more of problem with modern times and how things are marketed more then anything else.  Everything has to turn into game of thrones....by which I mean the poorly written later seasons. 

The scene where Scale got killed (but also "wonderful" which sucked) but I guess that was the point of "The Heroes" when you die in this world its short and brutal "back to the mud" indeed.  It was funny to see Calder totally and utterly speechless.  Its a shame the circumstances were so tragic. 

The death Jezal was rushed (Why kill him now?) I wanted him to tell the First of the Magi to go fuck himself one more time.  

The "duel" between Leo and Stour

Remind me of when I am RPing via text and we have a long and intricate scenario going but things are getting a little sedentary so someone throws a bomb to move the plot forward.  Leaves a bad taste in the mouth much like the ending of Last Argument of Kings did. 

5 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The parent-child relationships were excellently done.  Jezal and Orso was particularly touching. 

Yeah, i liked how orso deliberately let his dad win not just to get his way but also because he knew his dad still took pride in fencing. Orso thankfully isn't the rake he appears to be - at least not in the league if reynault.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Loved wonderful and clover pissing themselves at one of the young pricks wishing he could have fought shivers. 

Poor stranger come knocking, losing to calders child after he basically saved him must have been galling. I wonder if brint will get his wife back now. 

That was funny. I like how stour nightfall is a bit of a "darkstar" in trying too hard to be awesome.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Interesting revelation about Vik Dan Teuffel.  Enjoying it so far.

I had a feeyl she might be a spy and it definitely makes her a lot more interesting.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Glokta must be slipping if he doesn't know his daughter is banging her brother. 

That is odd. Almost as odd as how effectively they seem to have kept the secret. Glokta must have told Jezal to stay well away and i guess terez is simply unaware when her son proclaims his half sister a catch.

I loved the revelation about Superior Risinau.  I guess he was a brutal inquisitor (hence Glokta's belief in his loyalty) but then underwent a conversion.

Vallimir's factory is hell on earth.  Unfortunately, everything that takes place there takes place in real life.

50 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Vallimir's factory is hell on earth.  Unfortunately, everything that takes place there takes place in real life.

I loved the revelation about Superior Risinau.  I guess he was a brutal inquisitor (hence Glokta's belief in his loyalty) but then underwent a conversion.

Point. 

There is more to Risinau's conversion than we have seen. I personally think it's Pike who is the Weaver, our worm in the apple, trying to overthrow the Union from within. 

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Point. 

There is more to Risinau's conversion than we have seen. I personally think it's Pike who is the Weaver, our worm in the apple, trying to overthrow the Union from within. 

There are wheels within wheels.  

I skipped to the end.  I hope there's a special place in hell for Clover.

I must say, I rather like Terez in this, and Orso's relationship with her.  "When it came to naked women, his mother was quite the connoisseur".

6 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Point. 

I was wondering if it might be Yoru Sulfur - he does have form in stirring up peasant revolts

2 hours ago, Maltaran said:

I was wondering if it might be Yoru Sulfur - he does have form in stirring up peasant revolts

I do think it likely that it was Sulfur or perhaps Bayaz himself.  Rikke's vision was of a bald weaver with a bottomless purse wasn't it?  So he at least had the backing of Valint and Balk. 

I just finished this morning and I did enjoy the book.  As usual with Joe's non standalones, I do feel like the story between the North and the Union are like two totally separate stories being told in the same book.  I never felt it was connected at all. 

My initial perception of Stour did hold serve basically throughout.  I don't know that he has come to some vital revelation that will make him more interesting as a character.

I did come to like all the POV characters quite a bit.  Orso was definitely far more likeable than he might have first appeared and I thought his relationship with Savine was very well done.  Similarly, Leo and Rikke.  

Speaking of Leo, I still kind of go back to my earlier assertation that he is gay and doesn't know it.  Jurand certainly is.  You could see that in the scene where he walks with Leo to Sworbreck's office.  Leo's POV chapters especially early on featured a lot of graphic descriptions of manly muscle and fine features.  And when he firsts truly notice's Rikke's ass... its because all of the guys around him are noticing it and he thinks he should do the same to fit in.  And of course there is the "methinks he doth protest too much" aspect of his feelings towards Terez's rumored relationships with other women.  

It likely doesn't matter, but I do assume that Bayaz orchestrated Jezal's death.  Why?  That I don't know other than authorial fiat to advance Orso in the story.  Surely Jezal had done nothing to cross Bayaz.  The only thing I can figure is that if I'm correct about Bayaz orchestrating the peasant revolt (Sulfur talks to Calder about Bayaz being in favor of the occasional chaos) somehow Orso's role as the scapegoat in the resolution must play into Bayaz' plan to elevate him to king as well.  :dunno:

The great news is that we don't have all that long to wait for The Trouble With Peace!!!  :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Yes, I did wonder if Old Baldhead had something to do with it.

Obviously, he doesn't want the revolt to succeed, but he has some purpose of his own in stirring things up.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I do think it likely that it was Sulfur or perhaps Bayaz himself.  Rikke's vision was of a bald weaver with a bottomless purse wasn't it?  So he at least had the backing of Valint and Balk. My initial perception of Stour did hold serve basically throughout.  I don't know that he has come to some vital revelation that will make him more interesting as a character.

I did come to like all the POV characters quite a bit.  Orso was definitely far more likeable than he might have first appeared and I thought his relationship with Savine was very well done.  Similarly, Leo and Rikke.  

It likely doesn't matter, but I do assume that Bayaz orchestrated Jezal's death.  Why?  That I don't know other than authorial fiat to advance Orso in the story.  Surely Jezal had done nothing to cross Bayaz.  The only thing I can figure is that if I'm correct about Bayaz orchestrating the peasant revolt (Sulfur talks to Calder about Bayaz being in favor of the occasional chaos) somehow Orso's role as the scapegoat in the resolution must play into Bayaz' plan to elevate him to king as well.  :dunno:

The great news is that we don't have all that long to wait for The Trouble With Peace!!!  :thumbsup:

Nice catch about the Bald weaver = Bayaz,  There can be other bald men, of course, but bottomless purses don't come easy.  Why foment revolution in his own kingdom?

I think the political motive of elevating Orso as King is unconvincing for Bayaz.  Orso is next in the line of succession in any event.  But, as is pointed out, Bayaz/Sulfur do have form with riots. 

Any thoughts on Rikke's vision of an old woman whose head was stitched together with gold wire?

When is the Trouble with Peace out? What's taking so long?

40 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

But, as is pointed out, Bayaz/Sulfur do have form with riots.

Not just with riots, but riots that the future king can put down in order to gain popularity (although that doesn't seem to have worked too well for Orso).

Archived