A Little Hatred Spolier Thread (The world of the "First Law" is back)

Crazydog7

13 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

If Zuri is an Eater/the Eaters have come to Adua, my hunch is that they are not there on Khalul's orders.  Instead, they have come to take over the Union from within. 

This I find dubious that dubious for the same reason I find it it dubious that Zuri and her brothers are eaters infiltrating the union at the prophet’s behest. They’re dark-skinned foreigners. There’s only so money/influence  they’ll be allowed to accumulate before being strung up for not  knowing their place. 

They’ll be watched with suspicion immediately because of their race by society. 

Hell, Orso imo was right, if eaters have infiltrated the union they probably have white faces.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

This I find dubious that dubious for the same reason I find it it dubious that Zuri and her brothers are eaters infiltrating the union at the prophet’s behest. They’re dark-skinned foreigners. There’s only so money/influence  they’ll be allowed to accumulate before being strung up for not  knowing their place. 

They’ll be watched with suspicion immediately because of their race by society. 

Hell, Orso imo was right, if eaters have infiltrated the union they probably have white faces.

Good point.

But, we have encountered white Eaters previously, and Zuri might be able to take forms.

We were wondering whether or not readers would be eager to read A Little Hatred, what with the long wait since Abercrombie's last adult fantasy novel.

Well, the book debuted at number 15 of the New York Times hardcover fiction bestseller list this week. :thumbsup:

So we have our answer!

Enjoyed it. All the POV characters were good but I'd rank Orso and Clover as the most interesting with Leo and Vick at the bottom. Joe is very good at humour and that aspect came across best in Orso, Clover and Rikke's POVs. Orso looked like being a Ladisla/young Jezal clone but it seems that he is actually more capable than he (and others) give him credit for and he's quite self aware about his own shortcomings as well. 

I was particularly impressed with what Joe did with Clover - he fooled me into thinking that Clover was going to be a Craw substitute, even teaming him up with Wonderful so him killing Wonderful at the end with no hesitation whatsoever came as a shock and, yes, it was fucking cold. Looking back, it was totally in character and there were hints that Clover is nothing at all like Craw.

Looks like all the other good stuff has already been thoroughly dissected. Zuri and her "brothers" certainly give off the Eater vibes. If Zuri is an Eater, I hope it turns out to be Ishri sans bandages. It looks like Bayaz is the Weaver and likely offed Jezal as well  - unclear as yet how all of this benefits him. 

Some of Rikke's visions are fairly straightforward. The Lion-Wolf and Lamb is clealy Leo, Stour and Orso but the Owl is more difficult to pin down. The old woman whose head is stitched together with golden wire is almost certainly Monza but this vision lacks context. The dead chieftain fits Jezal more than Scale because the vultures (nobles of the Union) will all be trying to figure out how they can benefit from his death. I'd say the most interesting visions are the prancing horse, a great door opening to an empty room and the black pit in the sky. 

Finished. T’was good.

Some questions.

- How are people saying Rikke?  I was just saying Ricky, but at one point she tells Jezal that it rhymes with “pricker” so maybe it’s supposed to have a more Germanic e at the end.

- What age is Savine? 35? 30?  She seems like she’s younger somehow.  She has young adult, finding her feet type storylines, despite being a very successful and established businesswoman.

- Is Orso the best ever narrating character?  Best in terms of good person making good choices.  There’s the Dogman but he’s always been a Named Man with all the chaos and bloodshed goes along with it. And I can’t think of anyone else who wasn’t pretty flawed to start with. It can’t last.

2 minutes ago, john said:

- What age is Savine? 35? 30?  She seems like she’s younger somehow.  She has young adult, finding her feet type storylines, despite being a very successful and established businesswoman.

She would have been born in 577 so around 28. 

7 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

We were wondering whether or not readers would be eager to read A Little Hatred, what with the long wait since Abercrombie's last adult fantasy novel.

Well, the book debuted at number 15 of the New York Times hardcover fiction bestseller list this week. :thumbsup:

So we have our answer!

Is that good or just Ok for this time of the year? I know that some points of the year are really slow, and making the list isn't that hard. Other points of the year are quite competitive, based on what's coming out and people's general book buying patterns.

40 minutes ago, Joe Abercrombie said:

For me it's way the best ever performance in the US. Red Country made no. 27 when they still had an extended list, but that was an easier time of year. September's pretty tough.

Mind giving us insight into @john‘s question on how to pronounce Rikke?  I thought I had seen you answer on Twitter... but after more stalking today than I care to admit, I couldn’t find it. :dunno: 

And congrats... was happy to be a small part of that US sales figure!

ETA:  One more thing since you’re around... you didn’t do much prophecy in the first trilogy.  What’s it like coming here reading us speculate on things like “Who is the Owl?” or “What was the door on the empty room?”  Are you sitting there in all your grimdarkness rubbing your hands together gleefully as we get it all wrong?

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Mind giving us insight into @john‘s question on how to pronounce Rikke?  I thought I had seen you answer on Twitter... but after more stalking today than I care to admit, I couldn’t find it. :dunno: 

It's in the book, it rhymes with pricker. :laugh:

3 hours ago, Joe Abercrombie said:

For me it's way the best ever performance in the US. Red Country made no. 27 when they still had an extended list, but that was an easier time of year. September's pretty tough.

That's great news.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:08 PM, SeanF said:

Good point.

But, we have encountered white Eaters previously, and Zuri might be able to take forms.

Then why not go with the white face then rather than the dark foreign face that would garner immediate mistrust from the society she’s supposedly trying to infiltrate? Like, Dark skinned women have become sort of a fashion Assesory for noblewomen true. But it’s still a pronounced risk. If Savine was racist(like the majority of her society), she would have never given Zuri the chance to prove her worth. It could’ve very easily lead her to be treated little more than a fancy hat. 

16 hours ago, Consigliere said:

She would have been born in 577 so around 28. 

That young?  I thought L’il Hatred takes place 30-35 years after Last Argument but since you’re quoting birth years I assume there’s a solid timeline for this stuff.  28 makes sense.

10 hours ago, Corvinus said:

It's in the book, it rhymes with pricker. :laugh:

This is excessively annoying.

Just finished and I really enjoyed it. Yes, it's setting up the rest of the series but there are enough adventures completed for it to stand on its own with the Northern war and the rebellion.

I thought Orso was excellent. It's so refreshing to read about a character in Joe's world who is capable, decent and likeable. Just a shame everyone thinks he's an idiot but that may turn out to his advantage. I hope he doesn't become bitter and twisted by Savine's rejection as he is a unique character for Joe. I'm not entirely sure why Orso couldn't have been told that Savine was his half-sister though.

Leo is straight forward but again actually quite good at what he does. The fact he's more gay than straight was on the nose from the outset but I hope it's explored further as I'm not entirely sure how homosexuality is viewed in the union - I suspect it isn't favourably. It was also interesting to hear his thoughts on people from the south and his focus on the colour of their skin and changing the union.

Savine was great and a really good blend of Glokta and Ardee. She was clearly suffering from PTSD at the end although discovering she'd had sex with her half-brother probably didn't help either. 

Rikke felt a bit like some of the characters from "shattered seas" in the sense she felt like the youngest POV and was likeable even when bratty.

I got the impression that Clover, Vick and Broad were second tier POVs whose main role was to tell other aspects of the story - more as witnesses than drivers. Clover does some shocking things and it is intriguing to see how far he goes but I still suspect he is there more to let us see Stour and Calder. Broad might become more of a player probably through losing his temper. Vick was the hardest character for me. I got the impression she's intentionally hard to like because of all the trauma - she really does seem beaten by the inquisition/system and her ability to betray everyone other than Glokta doesn't help. 

48 minutes ago, red snow said:

The fact he's more gay than straight was on the nose from the outset but I hope it's explored further as I'm not entirely sure how homosexuality is viewed in the union - I suspect it isn't favourably.

It wasn’t in BSC at least. Remember Ganmark(a brutally effective soldiers and swordsman), left the union in disgrace after having had sexuality exposed and went to serve Duke Orso because Stryria has less stigma attached to homosexuality.

A lot could happen in a couple decades but I imagine opinions surrounding this issue probably haven’t improved.

58 minutes ago, red snow said:

Vick was the hardest character for me. I got the impression she's intentionally hard to like because of all the trauma

She does seem to be one of the least appealing new characters to me. Like a rehash of Glokta. Imprisoned. Abused. Joins an institution where the main job is abusing others to establish a sense of power. Takes some peasants under her wing and establish a quasi family relationship with them. 

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Then why not go with the white face then rather than the dark foreign face that would garner immediate mistrust from the society she’s supposedly trying to infiltrate? Like, Dark skinned women have become sort of a fashion Assesory for noblewomen true. But it’s still a pronounced risk. If Savine was racist(like the majority of her society), she would have never given Zuri the chance to prove her worth. It could’ve very easily lead her to be treated little more than a fancy hat. 

I agree, a white face would have been safer but, assuming Zuri is a shape-shifting Eater, she likely went with the dark skin precisely because dark-skinned lady's companions have become a must have fashion accessory in Adua. Also, an Eater would not really be in any danger of physical harm. Even if Savine was racist, given Zuri's extreme competence, I'd assume racist Savine would still have elevated her to show others that she has the best fashion accessory. Another interesting bit, it was Glokta who introduced Zuri to Savine. 

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It wasn’t in BSC at least. Remember Ganmark(a brutally effective soldiers and swordsman), left the union in disgrace after having had sexuality exposed and went to serve Duke Orso because Stryria has less stigma attached to homosexuality.

A lot could happen in a couple decades but I imagine opinions surrounding this issue probably haven’t improved.

Terez is viewed as a "Styrian degenerate", due to her lesbianism, so I imagine that attitudes have not changed at all. 

I did laugh when Orso told Rikke "When it comes to naked women, my mother is quite the connoisseur."

Archived