A Little Hatred Spolier Thread (The world of the "First Law" is back)

Crazydog7

12 minutes ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

Was anyone else disappointed in the lack of magic? The only magic was Sulfur’s ability to travel great distances quickly and Rikke’s Long Eye. 

Also, is Zuri and Eater? It’s fairly confirmed Ferro was the demon that killed Khalul, right?

“Confirmed” is a strong word. I’d say heavily implied.

21 hours ago, Zorral said:

Many friends who are not readers, back in the day when I still went to theaters to watch films, always got kick out of how I always knew what was coming next and even could speak the words coming up next -- that was in the days when films weren't even quite as predictable and formulaic as generally they are now.

I really am not trying to rain on the Little Hatred parade love here; it's just maybe  I've got a different set of criteria.  Or something. :dunno:

Wow. You sound really smart. Did you find that your friends came to resent you knowing so much more than them?

10 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

It's heavily implied Khalul is not dead.  Bayaz says he made peace with an old foe on his travels.  That is presumably Khalul.

I think that can be interpreted both ways.  In general, if Bayaz/Ferro actually dispatched Khalul it seems unlikely he would be so coy about it.  I imagine he'd be shouting it from the rooftops.  BUT 

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I struggle to imagine Khalul and Bayaz ever making peace. 

I agree with this part as well.  Which is why Bayaz's line can be interpreted ambiguously.  The only peace between them is death. 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

We don’t know for sure Khalul is dead. We know she killed Emperor Uthman and fought Khalul. 

I don't think we even know for sure that the emperor has been killed. IIRC, it's only said that he has been deposed and his sons are now squabbling with each other.

34 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Logen has a star-shaped scar?

Yes. In TBI, the first time Jezal sees Logen, he is surprised by how many scars he has, and notices that "One ear had a big notch out of it, one eye seemed a touch higher than the other, surrounded by a crescent-shaped wound."

And by the time of ARC, the crescent has turned into a star: "Summers past love company,’ mused Lamb, scratching at the star-shaped scar on his stubbled cheek."

Another big Northern man with a star-shaped scar, half an ear and a fierce temper seems too much of a coincidence. But still, the fact that Broad only notices those two particular traits (when Logen has many other scars, and a bent nose) makes the identification doubtful.

41 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I don't think we even know for sure that the emperor has been killed. IIRC, it's only said that he has been deposed and his sons are now squabbling with each other.

Correct. King Jezal says that Emperor Uthman "is deposed", and Zuri says that he "has been cast down". It almost seems as if the text is avoiding to say he's dead...

Well if that old man was Logen, then they only reason why he would have backed off when Broad got in his face was that he is once again trying to be peaceful, ie he is Lamb again, so he could very well be the lamb in Rikke's vision.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I struggle to imagine Khalul and Bayaz ever making peace. 

If they did make peace, it opens up new possibilities for Zuri and her brothers, if they are Eaters. Could be there with Bayaz’s blessing. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Well if that old man was Logen, then they only reason why he would have backed off when Broad got in his face was that he is once again trying to be peaceful, ie he is Lamb again, so he could very well be the lamb in Rikke's vision.

The man was never described as old though.

I also tend to agree with what was mentioned upthread that berating the old man who was talking to Broad seems a very un-Logen-like thing to do. He only backs down once he sees the ladderman's tattoo as well. Would Logen even know what the tattoo signified? To me the man came across as just a big bully who quickly backed down when confronted by someone more dangerous.  

Is the tower seen by Rikke the House of the Maker?

Also, who is the owl? Bayaz?

Slightly off topic, but why do you think Abercrombie went from an original series where magic is evident but rare to this book where magic is almost non-existent. The book is good. I like it. I would just like it more if it had more magic in it. Granted, I always thought it would be cool if the other side was opened back up and Euz’s work was undone. 

Mmn... it's more in the background is all.

I mean, Bayaz and his family still exist. Eaters still exist. Rikke's long eye [Abercrombie made me search and rename every instance of a somewhat similar ability likewise named in some shit I'm working on, fucker] exists. These powers/beings don't seem to have diminished [though maybe they have] there's just an ascending economical power that's center stage so far, and the class struggles around that. Sulfur kind of commented on it a few times, iirc.

It seemed somewhat reminiscent [to me] of Erikson's Old Horror waxing in the face, and before the power, of the New Horror- type trope permeating his stories. With Abercrombie it's just much broader, less specific. I expect magic to play a role, if to further economic interests [Valint and Balk] and controls inherent in that. Magical nukes though? Probably not.

edited for grammar, and additional thoughts/speculation  

Like, at some point we're definitely going to see Sulfur take off his spectacles with a patronizing sigh and Eater-speed whip his anime-Maker cleaver on some dumb ass. Preferably Rikke, so she can steer its point away with a finger touch into Bayaz' groin, who will have to wield something a bit more eldritch than his ability to underwrite some risk-averse shit. :p  

Just finished the book. It follows the Abercrombie template, so if you like Joe's previous work, you'll like this one. I will say, though, it doesn't leave much to chew on or much of an underlying conflict to really get anticipation flowing for the next book. Outside of the cliffhanger last two chapters, mostly it comes off as another stand alone in the world of the First Law. Again, the quality and consistency overall is pretty good in and of itself -- the riot chapters were a standout, for me -- but a lot of the characters, character interactions, and overall plot dynamics are feeling a bit formulaic at this point.

Please keep in mind that fiction itself, by and large, has lost some of its luster as I get older, so my impression is certainly colored by that. It was a fine read, but I feel no real desire to ever re-read it, unlike say BSC or LAoK.

11 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Like, at some point we're definitely going to see Sulfur take off his spectacles with a patronizing sigh and Eater-speed whip his anime-Maker cleaver on some dumb ass. Preferably Rikke, so she can steer its point away with a finger touch into Bayaz' groin, who will have to wield something a bit more eldritch than his ability to underwrite some risk-averse shit. :p  

You have inadvertently brought up an interesting possibility. With Rikke's ability to see the life of an object, if she does encounter such a situation with one of the Maker's creations, we could catch a glimpse of Kanedias himself, and maybe other characters, too, like Bayaz when he was young. 

Archived