A Little Hatred Spolier Thread (The world of the "First Law" is back)

Crazydog7

Although I guess we can call it the world of the 2nd law now.  Hopefully just the second trilogy

Anyway if you are interested and haven't read it already here

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-feisty-warrior-reluctantly-explores-her-psychic-gifts-1837510540

Sample Chapter there are three on the net so far and they are all good for their own reasons

I'll post those two later on tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it I just wanted us to have a spoiler zone to talk about the book after I finish it. 

Went in completely unspoiled other than character names and I’m loving it already.

Most of Rikkes vision seems to have been fulfilled within the first two chapters.

Sun (Union) devoured by Wolf (Stour) devoured by Lion (Leo dan Brock) by lamb (Finree) by owl... remains to be seen, but I can’t imagine it will take long to get that one.

Also liked my first taste of ruthless Savine.  Remains to be seen if she can be truly ruthless when it all comes down to it, or if just with money when it is all theoretical.

My son’s soccer game and then watching Kentucky football tonight has put a crimp on my reading so far.

I'm really interested in who this "Stour Nightfall" guy is a new enemy in the North after all of the blah blah blah in Hero.  I hope it is a new guy and not just Yoru Sulfur taking forms again.  It really doesn't make any sense that Black Calder would go back on his word to the first of Magi now.  He and Scale both remember what happened to their father I hope this is just another one of Bayaz's plans. 

I've read all sample chapters and if Uthrith is burning that probably isn't good news for the Dog Man if he is really dead he managed to outlive all the rest of them by 20 years.  I was rereading "Before they are Hanged" last night and I had forgotten how much I liked Hardin Grim, Tul and Rudd Three Trees. 

I hope Logan just had the good sense to pull a "Screw this I'm outta here" and the story focuses on other characters.   As much as I love the Bloody Nine the world of the First Law Trilogy is a damn big place. 

The part that made me sad from what I have been able to find out is the death of two minor characters which is why I love spoiler threads because even after all these years I never figured out how to do the blank text spolier thing

Unfortunately Hal Dan Brock (from the Heroes) is dead by this point in the story line although Leo one of the main characters is his son.  Leo grew up in Angland but was fostered with the Dog man even if the Dog man is gone from the narrative we should get a flashback or words of wisdom or something.  One of the great disappoints of the Heroes for me was how Dogman was essentially demoted to extra but still managed to be hilarious in his one scene with Bayaz in the Union Command tent everyone was scared shit less of the first of the Magi but Dogman seemed almost unimpressed.  

Also and the part where I almost cred  Crummock is being spoken of in the past tense also the specific line is "He was madder then a bowl of owls you always told me so" implying he isn't around anymore although his daughter (the one who carried his hammer) while not a POV character is very close friends with someone who is.     

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Jezal has a daughter named Carlot...

Well thats ironic I thought his daughter would be named Cardotti.  Please God I hope Brother Longfoot is dead I hope that sometime in this book or the next two it is confirmed and I hope he was slowly tortured over the course of several years.  Seriously fuck that guy. 

Just now, Crazydog7 said:

Well thats ironic I thought his daughter would be named Cardotti.  Please God I hope Brother Longfoot is dead I hope that sometime in this book or the next two it is confirmed and I hope he was slowly tortured over the course of several years.  Seriously fuck that guy. 

Has another named Cathil.  I’ve gone almost blank, but was that not the girl that Collem West saved in the north and lost to Dogman before she was killed?

And even though this is a spoiler thread... I won’t say it yet... but Holy Shit I just got to the end of the first Prince Orso chapter. :stunned: 

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Has another named Cathil.  I’ve gone almost blank, but was that not the girl that Collem West saved in the north and lost to Dogman before she was killed?

And even though this is a spoiler thread... I won’t say it yet... but Holy Shit I just got to the end of the first Prince Orso chapter. :stunned: 

Yes the girl who was Superior Pike's "Daughter" who incidentally is now the last survivor of that little group and is the only one who knows what really happened to Crown Prince spoiled man child.  Damn I wish I could read it now but I preordered my copy on Amazon almost 6 months ago.  Anyway there seems to be something of a first name crisis in the Union

Just now, Crazydog7 said:

Yes the girl who was Superior Pike's "Daughter" who incidentally is now the last survivor of that little group and is the only one who knows what really happened to Crown Prince spoiled man child.  Damn I wish I could read it now but I preordered my copy on Amazon almost 6 months ago.  Anyway there seems to be something of a first name crisis in the Union

Yes.  In the first Vick chapter there is a man named Collem. :lol: 

Met Stour this morning in Clover’s chapter... I’m not impressed with him on first glance.  Just seems another northern bully of the types we’ve seen before.  

I have faith that Joe will do something interesting with him, but first impression was not strong.

13 hours ago, Crazydog7 said:

I'd love to know what Pike really thinks of Glokta.

Got my book a day early and am about 150 pages in.  I will say that as much as I like the chapters of people related to the ones we already know oh and the Gurkish Empire has collapsed....well that came out of left field.  I hope Ferro Malljinn had something to do with it. 

Leo

Orso

Glokta's daughter and

Rikkes

I don't think the farmer just returned from the wars in Stryia

or the woman recruited by the breakers really add much. 

This may change but my overall impression so far is Stour Nightfall is a real jerk and its kind of funny that the impression of everyone else even his own father is "Stour Nightfall is a real jerk" but WTF is the point of it all then?  Oh and Stranger Come Knocking is dead which is a shame as Black Dow said the man was madder then a grass helmet and would have been a source of much comedy. 

I mean its good that Wonderful and Cul Shivers are still alive but they seem to have added nothing to the story yet besides giving me a chance to go...oh I know those people. 

But the best part so far is our old friend the cripple and his absolute instance that his daughter have NO DEALINGS with V&B.  I love that whatever his faults sand dan glokta loves his family and will try to keep them out of the First of the Magi's bullshit.  

Considering the setting he is probably not going to successful. 

Finished the book last night! 

Two immediate thoughts: 

1. It's very, very good. 

2. In terms of style, it's almost a blend of Joe's YA books and the First Law books, not the grimdark of yore. 

Two mysteries arising from the book: 

1. Did Bayaz/Sulfur ensure Jezal's death? That speech sure sounded ominous. If so, to what end?

2. Who is Weaver: (i) Superior Pike (ii) Lord Isher (in disguise, maybe?), or someone else?

What I didn't like: 

1.  Scale's murder/Jezal's death was pretty effectively telegraphed by Rikke's vision.  After a succession of valid interpretations of the Long Eye visions, you knew the misdirection was coming. 

2.  The supposed friendship between Leo dan Brock and Stour Nightfall (and its sudden strategic importance) never really passed the smell test.  For that matter the relationships between various important heirs largely went unremarked and uncontrolled despite the obvious political implications (with the exception of Orso and Savine). 

3. What character growth did Savine demonstrate? Maybe the point was that she didn't/couldn't.  But you would think her experience would lead her to advocate for a more liberal policy towards the Breakers/Burners.  Nope: her lesson was to be more ruthless.  She and Stour Nightfall have much in common. 

One interesting little revelation: 

1. Khalul is alive.  Bayaz expressly says he "engineered a suspension of hostilities with a troublesome brother in the South...two siblings in the West chose to become...difficult." So conflict with Zacharius and Cawneil is potentially on the cards, but it looks like Khalul has been tamed.  No word on Ferro though. 

Archived