Why was the final season so sloppy?

Angel Eyes

Now I'm not talking about character motivations, lack of buildup to character moments and general idiocy since those have been covered ad nauseam in other places, but technical mishaps. How did the editors miss the Starbucks coffee cup on the table in "The Last of the Starks" and the water bottles under the chairs in "The Iron Throne"? The special effects department, while typically very good, seemed to have forgotten to replace Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's hand with the golden prosthetic in post-production. They had two years to film, edit, add in visual effects like dragons. How did they fail spot checks like these?

On 9/14/2019 at 1:15 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Now I'm not talking about character motivations, lack of buildup to character moments and general idiocy since those have been covered ad nauseam in other places, but technical mishaps. How did the editors miss the Starbucks coffee cup on the table in "The Last of the Starks" and the water bottles under the chairs in "The Iron Throne"? The special effects department, while typically very good, seemed to have forgotten to replace Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's hand with the golden prosthetic in post-production. They had two years to film, edit, add in visual effects like dragons. How did they fail spot checks like these?

Well from a film maker's perspective, there are script supervisors, unit production managers, and the entire art department whose jobs all center around ensuring gaffes like:  a coffee cup or water bottles being left in, don't happen.  Or at least if they do happen, one of these departments should catch them in time to fix them.  In all honestly I don't really blame the production crew that much, it sounds like the production schedule for this show was nightmarish, even by television's already nightmarish standards.  Apparently the long break didn't result in a longer production period, which I figured it probably wouldn't because there were less episodes.  So some small things slipped by in production because of bad lighting or they were on hour 15 of the shoot.  It happens.  I actually blame the editors more because they would have spent way more time with the footage than anyone else.  And HBO I would assume has some kind of quality control whose entire job is to catch this stuff and get it corrected before it goes to air.  

Where was Jaime's hand not golden?  I didn't catch that part, but I only watched these episodes once and tried to forget about them.  EDIT:  just noticed you posted a link.

11 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Anyone hazard a guess?

They realized that they were horrible writers and had no hope of ending the story coherently in a satisfying way on their terms.

But their pride and desperation to be famous prevented them from admitting the fact that they needed help or wanted a break.

So they got lazy and focused on the big events that GRRM told them about 6-7 years ago. Then they realized that they were unable to make over half of these big events work due to their previous laziness and arrogance, so they just stopped caring and scribbled nonsense in the hopes that no one will notice or care because of the spectacle.

Archived