Cricket 38: Ashes Openers Crash and Burns

Philokles

31 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

England's new era of batting solidity didn't last long. Oh well, at least they'll get 300. Probably.

Oh ye of little faith! 300 and then some. Will be interesting to see how NZ go with the bat.

4 hours ago, Paxter said:

ETA: A word on poor old Pakistan. They weren't absolutely terrible, but they weren't great either.  Yasir really bailed them out by hanging around with Shafiq at the end. Babar's dismissal was horrible. The problem for them is that Australia got most of their wickets from short stuff and yorkers. I'm not sure the Australian batsmen will be as troubled by those types of deliveries. 

Given how low my expectations would probably have been for Pakistan in this Test it almost seems like a modest success.

33 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Oh ye of little faith! 300 and then some. Will be interesting to see how NZ go with the bat.

Even if they don't get much more it's not a bad first innings score, just a bit underwhelming given their good start on day one.

100 partnership up again between Warner and Burns - their fifth in 20 opening stands. It really is odd that Australia haven’t given Burns a consistent shot at tests.

Latham given out incorrectly...no luck for NZ.

Ugh. Pakistan squandered a decent opening partnership, bowled out cheaply, and now David Warner predictably bullying an attack in Australian home conditions. He's on 90* and almost already matched his entire series total in England. I really hoped he would be dropped after the Ashes but knew in my heart of hearts he wouldn't and would plunder runs like his usual flat-truck bully routine.

@Jeor, I think you always knew that this would be the outcome. His record in Aus is ridiculously good and one poor series against Broad wasn’t going to change that. He was also Australia’s best batsman in the World Cup, so it really hasn’t been a poor return from him after the long lay-off.

Pakistan’s bowling looks as insipid as I expected. It may not have changed things much, but how pathetic to play a teenager ahead of Abbas. 

Anyway I’m going to have to focus on the NZ series now!

8 hours ago, Paxter said:

I should have known England’s most reliable batsman, Jack Leach, would steady the ship.

England actually look pretty well set with Williamson gone.

13 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I should have known England’s most reliable batsman, Jack Leach, would steady the ship.

I saw earlier that he now has the second best dismissal rate amongst England players this year after Stokes.

Buttler’s dismissal yesterday was rather interesting - he was caught by Santner who was still signing autographs in the crowd as Wagner began his run up, jumped the ad boards back onto the field and took the catch. I was under the impression that fielders weren’t allowed to move about once the run up has begun. Buttler didn’t seem aggrieved however, so I don’t think it had any real effect on the outcome.

From the useless trivia file: this is the first time a side has cracked 600 in an innings between New Zealand and England (previous highest was England's 593 in 1975), and the second longest innings (by balls faced) by a wicket-keeper in test cricket (behind Kuruppu's 548-ball effort for Sri Lanka vs New Zealand in 1987). It's the seventh highest score by a wicket-keeper in test cricket, the highest against England (previous record by Kunderan for India in 1964), and the highest by a New Zealander (previous record McCullum vs Bangladesh in 2010). Oh, and the second highest score by a number six batsman against England (behind Don Bradman in 1946).

My money's still on a draw though.

Well that was a bit of a disaster for England. Not really making any headway with the ball is a bit disappointing but understandable given how flat the pitch is. Losing 3 wickets in the space of about 3 overs on that pitch isn't really acceptable.

Archived