The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

Werthead

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

What... you didn’t like the one about Sturm and Kitiara flying to the moon on a gnomish flying machine?!!!?

Well, it was better then what they retconned it into. Which I'll spoiler tag JUST IN CASE

Spoiler

*where instead of going to to moon they have hate sex and I think a baby*

31 minutes ago, Rhom said:

What... you didn’t like the one about Sturm and Kitiara flying to the moon on a gnomish flying machine?!!!?

I love how they sold something about EVERYONE.

Lord Toede's book was great.

There was a book about Hederick the Theocraft.

The Nine Companions saved the world from Sargonas doing the exact same thing Takhasis would do in the main trilogy.

The Legend of Huma was awesome.

So was Kaz the Minotaur.

5 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Lord Toede's book was great.

There was a book about Hederick the Theocraft.

The Nine Companions saved the world from Sargonas doing the exact same thing Takhasis would do in the main trilogy.

The Legend of Huma was awesome.

So was Kaz the Minotaur.

I did like the Huma/Kaz books.  Some of the random ones that didn’t have the original heroes in them weren’t bad.  I remember liking the Dhamon trilogy.  

The retconning was the worst part though.  

Spoiler

The end result of Summer Flame with Chaos returning as the one god and the loss of magic in the world was kind of cool. 

But then they went back a few years later and said it wasn’t Chaos as the one god at all, Takhisis had just hidden the world away and at the end Paladine had to sacrifice himself so they could both go away.

Then there was a trilogy about Minotaurs after that I think...

26 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yes, but if you haven't read any DL before you'll miss most of the jokes.

Well, I'm currently revisiting The Dragonlance Chronicles. Next to it is my hardcover edition of The Annotated Legends. I figure that's a good a place as any to start. 

This prompts me to wonder if there's a Dragonlance fan out there that's done a list of the recommended reading order of all the books ever published. 

16 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

I remember enjoying the Dwarven Nations trilogy when I was a kid. The idea of dwarves riding those giant horses was fun. 

I did like that.  Everything about Thorbardin was cool.  I loved the Hylar living in the giant stalactite and the huge screws that made the gates to the mountain.

God... I remember entirely too much about these books.

Fun Fact... my beautiful golden haired dwarf warrior in WoW is named Raeghar.  Most think it was an available spelling of Targaryen.  But my characters online over the years were named Raeph.  When naming my dwarf, I took Flint Fireforge’s father’s name Rhegar and worked in the Rae. :lol: 

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

You know I think I read about 90-95 percent of the DL franchise at one point. There's a few hidden pulp gems and a couple just plain out WTF ones but most of them are kinda poop.

The short story in one of the anthologies where the Metallic Dragons in human form struggled to save their children who had been turned into “Draconians” was particularly poignant.

I often come off as an elitist around here, but trust me, it was formed early on: I read the trilogy at the tender age of 13 and thought the first book was fucking dire. Of course, my standard for good fantasy at that time was LotR, the first two Gunslinger books, and The Dragonbone Chair, so of course Dragonlance would seem pretty silly in a lot of ways. I did like the second book substantially better -- it actually has narrative tension and some truly epic scenes (Tas breaking the Dragon ball, Sturm's battle), and the third book felt pretty meh. The second trilogy felt much more mature and impressive. I probably read around 30 of the individual novels, but only remember The Legend of Huma being any good.

I picked up the series for free a couple years ago and tried to read the first book. I only got to the point where they reach the ruins and the gully dwarf before tossing it aside; it was eye-rolling pretty much every page. As Wert states, though, its historical significance as a gateway drug cannot be denied.

Does any of the later books fill the gaps in the first trilogy? E.g. I never really got what happened around Thorbardin, did I simply forget it or is this glanced over in the first trilogy? The most annoying thing about the first trilogy might be that Laurana morphs from spoiled brat to great leaderess almost off screen and in that latter function is insufferable.

19 minutes ago, Jo498 said:

Does any of the later books fill the gaps in the first trilogy? E.g. I never really got what happened around Thorbardin, did I simply forget it or is this glanced over in the first trilogy? The most annoying thing about the first trilogy might be that Laurana morphs from spoiled brat to great leaderess almost off screen and in that latter function is insufferable.

I think there was a book about the companions going to Icewall and obtaining the Hammer of Kharas to secure the dwarves help.

ETA:  Oops.  Almost right.

The Lost Chronicles trilogy is a companion to the original Chronicles. Each book of the trilogy fills in sections of the story previously left untold. It tells the story surrounding the recovery of the Hammer of Kharas,[19] how the Companions retrieve the dragon orb from Ice Wall, how Kitiara Uth Matar and Lord Soth became allies, and how Raistlin Majere took the Black Robes in Neraka.

ETA2:  Holy shit.  From the same Wikipedia article:

By 2008, there were more than 190 novels in the Dragonlance franchise.[14]

:stunned: 

14 hours ago, IlyaP said:

This prompts me to wonder if there's a Dragonlance fan out there that's done a list of the recommended reading order of all the books ever published. 

Here you go.

Age 14:  Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy

Age 15:  Dragonlance Legends trilogy

Never:  All the rest of them. 

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah the Summer Flame retcon had to do with WotC/Hasbro shenanigans if I remember write. There was a whole lot of weird shit going on then.

Also my God, the Lord Toade book was fucking DIVINE.

Without exaggeration, the authors torched the setting on their way out because they were told it was being taken away from them for SAGA.

And I don't blame them in the slightest.

Like a lot of people I first read these when I was about 12-13. I had already read Weis and Hickman's Darksword trilogy and enjoyed it, and I did love the Dragonlance Chronicles when I first read them. I'm not sure I'd really recommend them now except to someone about the same age I was but I do have fond memories of it. I then went on to the Legends trilogy which I think is clearly Weis and Hickman's best story, the plot does make great use of time travel and it had some memorable characters.

After that I initially enjoyed the Second Generation short stories but was then hugely disappointed with Dragons of Summer Flame, particularly the ending. I remember finding the initial part of the War of Souls trilogy intriguing because it went off in some unexpected directions but it did run out of steam after that.

I also read a lot of the non-W&H Dragonlance books, which have mostly left me with a lasting distrust of tie-in novels in terms of how little they respected following any kind of coherent overall storyline. I think the only ones I really remember fondly were Lord Toede which is a fine piece of comic fantasy and The Legend of Huma, although some of the short fiction was decent as well.

23 hours ago, Rhom said:

I remember a few years seeing a post online where somebody had pointed out to the author of Darkness and Light that its depiction of lightning was scientifically inaccurate and he quite reasonably responded that he was surprised that was the the biggest implausibility the reader noticed in a book about gnomes flying a wooden spaceship to a moon

There was even a short story giving the life story of the knife Tas uses in the first chapter of Dragons of Autumn Twilight, which apparently nobody had noticed was a magic sentient knife.

Archived