Are you going to watch the HBO's prequels or are you done with the adaptations?

miyuki

I wont see the long night. After what they did in s8 any story the create for the long night will just be a constant reminder of how badly they ended the ww and how pointless whatever they do in the long night is...

In regards to other prequels… It will depend,

Yes, because I enjoy fantasy thus unless it is utterly terrible I still enjoy watching it on the screen.  Heck, I went to see (and actually bought) all three Hobbit movies and the prequel series cannot be much worse than those.   

I guess it would depend on how well the prequels are done. Because of how terrible I thought the ending of the main series was, I'm skeptical about these prequels. I'm getting a feeling they will be worse, like most prequels. And if any of the prequels involve characters from the main  series, I definitely won't watch because of PTSD.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:11 PM, miyuki said:

Do you think with different people in charge, the outcome will not be as disastrous as it was with D&D? 

How can it not be as disastrous, we *know* how the whole saga ends now, and it was rubbish.

Any prequels are all going to be pointing towards what the end game is, and we now know that's pointless.

I might be interested in following the adventures of Arya, or Jon Snow, in their new lives, or finding out wtf happened in Essos when everyone finds out that Dani is dead, but a prequel? Nope.

I will not punish a son for his father's sins,

D&D made a mess of ASOIAF ending. It was not GRRM's story anymore. I watched anyway. Not liking, except a few bits there and there. But by morbid curiosity of what they were doing of GRRM's story.

I'll give new writers the opportunity to fix things. To be creative. But if they continue with their stupid NK, unheard of before weapon of the Children, with nothing relating to GRRM history... I won't watch much.

On 9/18/2019 at 6:13 PM, divica said:

I wont see the long night. After what they did in s8 any story the create for the long night will just be a constant reminder of how badly they ended the ww and how pointless whatever they do in the long night is...

In regards to other prequels… It will depend,

I have zero interest in any prequel after the ending to Game of Thrones.  If I'm not mistaken George said in an interview that once the books were done all of the mysteries would be solved and the questions would be answered, specifically a Robert's Rebellion prequel would be pointless as a result.  Considering Jon Snow's birth, you know the prince that was promised, was a key element of Robert's Rebellion, I would assume George meant his importance in the conflict against the dead would be revealed in the books as well.  If the show is to be believed then there was no important reason Jon was brought back, unless killing Daenerys was it.

It was hackish to leave so much unanswered just because the material may be explored further in another series.  D&D didn't have to answer every question if they were unsure about whether or not people will watch the prequels if they did, but damn they at least could have given us a solid answer about what the damn Night King was doing.  "I think he just wants to kill mankind and the memory of mankind, which is Bran.  I guess, I don't know."  That's literally the only answer we got after the conflict was set up in the pilot and this part of the story made some kind of appearance in all eight seasons.

EDIT:  Not to say I would completely ignore this spin off if it gets good reviews, but I won't be watching when it airs.  I'll probably wait until its first season is done and then stream it if the feedback is positive.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 12:11 AM, miyuki said:

Do you think with different people in charge, the outcome will not be as disastrous as it was with D&D? 

S8 was sub-standard and below expectations. That is bad and disappointing and frustrating. 

However, GoT is still the greatest TC show ever yet. There are so many aspects in which it is almost perfect and by far leading. No other series comes close. It's a pity they messed up the final season. But it is unfair to downgrade the whole series. 

I would watch a prequel, but I am somehow sceptic whether they can come up with a really interesting plot and character set. Prequels always suffer from the fact you you know the eventual outcome.

• 3 months later...

Archived