Behold! The Holy Grail of ASOIAF collecting. The rare UK Uncorrected Proof of A Game of Thrones

Daendrew

Behold! The Holy Grail of ASOIAF collecting that I just won in an auction.

https://imgur.com/gallery/fDY1egJ

The UK Uncorrected Proof (Advance Reading Copy) of A Game of Thrones. There are only 50 copies or less known to have been printed.

Almost all the uncorrected proofs have been read and look worn. This one was never opened or read and put in a box until sold just now.

The seller owned a chain of small bookshops in London. He got the uncorrected proof, looked at the cover and thought this would never sell. He never read it and never bought a copy of AGOT for his stores. He just found it in a box of his things.

Next step is getting GRRM to sign it.

Just saw this pop up on my Google home screen from your reddit post (my phone knows me far too well). 

Congratulations @Daendrew! That is quite the find. 

Is this something you have been searching for, did you happen upon it, do you frequent book auctions just in case something like this shows up? 

I need more details!

7 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Just saw this pop up on my Google home screen from your reddit post (my phone knows me far too well). 

Congratulations @Daendrew! That is quite the find. 

Is this something you have been searching for, did you happen upon it, do you frequent book auctions just in case something like this shows up? 

I need more details!

I searched eBay and couldn’t find it. I searched google and found it on an Australian eBay site. He didn’t set up global shipping so it didn’t show up on the main eBay sites in the US and UK. No one bid against me and o got it at asking bid :)

Steal of a lifetime.

6 minutes ago, Fencer said:

Well done, and congratulations!  Dare we even ask what the asking price was?

I was fortunate enough to get an ARC of Name of the Wind by Rothfuss early on, but a GoT ARC is one incredible find.

They normally cost $1300-2000. I stole this one for only $500!

23 minutes ago, Fencer said:

Well done, and congratulations!  Dare we even ask what the asking price was?

I was fortunate enough to get an ARC of Name of the Wind by Rothfuss early on, but a GoT ARC is one incredible find.

The American ARC's are not super rare and you can find one for three hundred bucks. The UK version is incredibly rare.

4 hours ago, Daendrew said:

They normally cost $1300-2000. I stole this one for only $500!

Nice. And if autographed by GRRM himself, how much do you think it will be worth?

What is the most expensive ASOIAF book anyways? I would assume an autograph is required too

4 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

Nice. And if autographed by GRRM himself, how much do you think it will be worth?

What is the most expensive ASOIAF book anyways? I would assume an autograph is required too

2000 or more

The most expensive book is the Meisha Merlin AGOT.

51 minutes ago, Seams said:

send the money to the book shop guy in Australia

What is this about?

@Daendrew Knowing you so far, you probably are one of the guys that picked up one the sold-out 52 limited edition Sub Press Fire & Blood for $1,000 right? Just taking a guess lol

https://subterraneanpress.com/all-books/preorders/fire-blood

15 minutes ago, The Map Guy said:

What is this about?

@Daendrew Knowing you so far, you probably are one of the guys that picked up one the sold-out 52 limited edition Sub Press Fire & Blood for $1,000 right? Just taking a guess lol

The Sub Press/Meisha Merlin is the only thing I haven't dipped my fingers into. If I buy, I want to buy everything. I have every edition/cover of ASOIAF in UK and US and every novel of GRRM in first printing. I own a dozen AGOTs in first printing including four rare UK AGOTs. 

I don't have another $8k to buy the Meisha Sub Press editions, so I don't try. If you wanted to start a GoFundMe to do it, I wouldn't object :)

On 9/20/2019 at 10:56 AM, Daendrew said:

If you wanted to start a GoFundMe to do it, I wouldn't object :)

Ha! Nice try!

I just think the newer Sub Press Fire & Blood with it's cover has a neat Easter Egg to the finale of ADOS & ASOIAF. It may be the most expensive ASOIAF book if George autographs it ... and then another special someone autographs it too.

Spoiler Alert: Potential ending to ASOIAF

Spoiler

I was hoping to pick up the $1,000 version and have Bonnie Tyler autograph the cover. But it got sold out.
I ordered the $325 version, but they haven't shipped it yet!
If shipped in time, I may have flown from New York to London, and show up to Bonnie's concert this past Wednesday, and be the first one to get this version of Fire & Blood autographed & dated.

Why Fire & Blood and Bonnie Tyler? Well...

My favorite part of the song:

UP WHERE THE [DRAGONS] MEET THE HEAVENS ABOVE
OUT WHERE THE LIGHTNING SPLITS THE SEA
I could swear that there's someone somewhere watching me

Through the WIND and the CHILL and the RAIN
And the STORM and the FLOOD
I CAN FEEL HIS APPROACH
LIKE THE FIRE IN MY BLOOD

Like the FIRE IN MY BLOOD

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! BOOM!

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong and he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh [for] the fight
I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life

I think the cover of Sub Press Fire & Blood represents Daenerys in the finale of ASOIAF. She is posing with a "hold" hand gesture, standing on top of a pile of heroic dead knights.

I believe in the ending of ADOS, Daenerys is in King's Landing defending the city while the bells ring, buildings explode and innocent people are slaughtered. She is losing and she is holding out for a hero to save her and the city.

Perhaps it will be her blood of her blood, her bloodriders ... Jhogo Aggo Rakharo ... with their silver whip for taming, their dead dragon-bone bow, and their arakh of golden hilt & blade.

Or perhaps it will be a knight, the last one, the Last Hero that approaches her with the same fire in their bloods ... to save King's Landing.

I don't know ... but I would love to be the first person to get Sub Press Fire & Blood with GRRM's autograph, and Bonnie Tyler's autograph ... dated too. But it hasn't been shipped yet ... so this title is still unclaimed ... for now.

I just figure someone like you @Daendrew would like this in your collection.

Archived