Tyrek Lannister's personality?

nyser1

What do we believe his personality is like? His father's? Jaime?

We know that he squired alongside Lancel for Robert. However, we have no proof that he was in cahoots to kill the King (or sharing Cersei with Lancel). Thoughts? Connections to his disappearance? Speculation welcome, since it is all we have..

We have precious little to go on, but you did say to speculate, so here's my groat's worth.  

Growing up in House Lannister, he had a cousin who became Queen, and an uncle who was Warden of the West and Hand to a few Kings ... and some of the Kings were his cousins (or nephews?  Sorry, I always have trouble with those).  But he was a little too far down the line of succession to have high status himself; and after his father died, he may have pretty-much lived as a ward of Tywin. His family made him a squire to drunken King Robert, and later they married  him to the infant "Lady" Hayford.

With all that in mind, it's possible that he felt manipulated and resentful towards his House, and decided to escape somehow. But the timing raises other questions. He disappeared during the riot in King's Landing, I doubt that he could have engineered that. Perhaps he was already planning an escape and seized the opportunity. 

Here's a thought:  maybe he actually disappeared before the riot, not during it.  He knew  that half the Court would go to the docks to see Myrcella's departure.   He secretly arranged passage out of Kings Landing on another ship. He slipped away from the crowd while everyone was watching Myrcella; and since he wasn't especially important, no one noticed until later.  The timing of the riot was just a bit of good luck for him. It gave everyone a false suspicion  about what happened to him.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:50 PM, nyser1 said:

sharing Cersei with Lancel

That is unlikely. He was younger than Lancel, and Cersei only started her relationship with her cousing after Jaime was gone to war, long after Tyrek had gone missing. In AGOT Ned remarks that Tyrek is about Sansa's age... So about eleven or twelve? I don't think he was having sex with the queen or anyone.

in cahoots to kill the King

He was so young...we can't be sure, but I'd fo with him being oblivious to the plan.

Speculation welcome, since it is all we have..

I would really like it if he kept being mentioned but it never "payed off". If he just died in the riot and his body rotted in the streets, the end.  

On 9/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, Lady Dacey said:

That is unlikely. He was younger than Lancel, and Cersei only started her relationship with her cousing after Jaime was gone to war, long after Tyrek had gone missing.

Jaime actually went to war long before Tyrek went missing, and Cersei started to sleep with Lancel likely before Robert's death, to actually make him kill Robert in the first place and it was also long before Tyrek went missing. So, timing-wise, it works, though I also find it unlikely.

22 hours ago, Dofs said:

Jaime actually went to war long before Tyrek went missing, and Cersei started to sleep with Lancel likely before Robert's death, to actually make him kill Robert in the first place and it was also long before Tyrek went missing. So, timing-wise, it works, though I also find it unlikely.

You are right. I forgot Jaime left King's Landing imediately after his confrontation with Ned Stark, which ia before Robert dies. I still think Tyrek was too young to have slept with Cersei though.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:50 PM, nyser1 said:

What do we believe his personality is like? His father's? Jaime?

I expect he's a typical sulky adolescent who's not in control of his own life. His wife is so young he can't see his way to a good leg-over for another thirteen years or so... if I had that prospect as an adolescent I'd have lost my marbles, big time....

Strikes me, he's smart enough to know that there are players and there are pieces, and that he isn't a player for now. He's not a happy chappy, and if he was to develop a bit of that famous Lannister wanderlust, he'd be off to Essos at the first excuse that presented itself.

My gut feeling is that he disappeared himself rather than anyone else being responsible.

Archived