U.S. Politics: Dirt From Ukrainians, Bombs for Iranians, Shut Down Your Brainiums...

Jace, Extat

I am concerned about the degree to which Trump is going to be able to control the narrative on this issue.  For example, he said they're about to release the transcript of Trump's call with Ukraine.  But the whistleblower didn't even know the details of that call.  He came to the conclusion that something was wrong without it.  In contrast, Trump does know what the transcript says, and in all likelihood, it will show Trump bringing up the investigation of Hunter Biden, but no explicit offer of quid pro quo anywhere.  That is hardly exonerating for Trump, bringing up Biden at all looks really bad, and it's not like it would be hard for Ukraine to connect the dots.  But it will allow Trump and Senate Republicans to craft the narrative that this whole thing is overblown. 

It remains to be seen if the whistleblower's memo or testimony can indeed be obtained quickly.  Adam Schiff has indicated he thinks it can, but without that, it's quite possible Trump will be able to get the "Trump did nothing wrong" narrative out first, and then Democrats will be fighting uphill to do anything else. 

This is what I'm talking about with Democrats being very bad at winning the PR war. 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But it will allow Trump and Senate Republicans to craft the narrative that this whole thing is overblown. 

Well, that's gonna be their default narrative no matter what Trump said. 

And yeah, I do agree it's important to be aggressive in obtaining all relevant materials, but I think they have some time on this.  The story is new, so the "dragging their feet" narrative isn't going to gain enough traction with leaners like it did with the Mueller investigation (which of course was bullshit, to be clear) - at least as of yet.

18 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

I missed that last night. But it’s on brand.

Thinks killing slavers was brutal. Says the guy that actively volunteered to kill Iraqis and Afghanis. 

John Brown did nothing wrong.

He's right though. It wasn't just slavers that Brown killed. Just because his cause was right doesn't mean his methods were.

22 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Adam Schiff has indicated he thinks it can, but without that, it's quite possible Trump will be able to get the "Trump did nothing wrong" narrative out first, and then Democrats will be fighting uphill to do anything else. 

I'm mildly curious to see what bedbug's audio equivalent of a sharpie to change hurricane trajectory to prove he was right will be ....

Right now I'm most curious about how long before we see the inevitable Twitter melt-down. We should make a Bingo card - witch hunt, no collusion, random capitalisation, nicknames, Biden, etc. Fake News is the free space in the middle.

Just now, Gertrude said:

Right now I'm most curious about how long before we see the inevitable Twitter melt-down.

I can't believe it hasn't happened already.  Maybe KellyAnne or Ivanka "misplaced" his phone.

51 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I am concerned about the degree to which Trump is going to be able to control the narrative on this issue.  For example, he said they're about to release the transcript of Trump's call with Ukraine.  But the whistleblower didn't even know the details of that call.  He came to the conclusion that something was wrong without it.  In contrast, Trump does know what the transcript says, and in all likelihood, it will show Trump bringing up the investigation of Hunter Biden, but no explicit offer of quid pro quo anywhere.  That is hardly exonerating for Trump, bringing up Biden at all looks really bad, and it's not like it would be hard for Ukraine to connect the dots.  But it will allow Trump and Senate Republicans to craft the narrative that this whole thing is overblown. 

It remains to be seen if the whistleblower's memo or testimony can indeed be obtained quickly.  Adam Schiff has indicated he thinks it can, but without that, it's quite possible Trump will be able to get the "Trump did nothing wrong" narrative out first, and then Democrats will be fighting uphill to do anything else. 

This is what I'm talking about with Democrats being very bad at winning the PR war. 

Trump controls every narrative because he will say and do whatever he wants and he'll get a surrogate or two to end up on every show because the media are idiots. That, and like Russia, the media has dripped out details that have been leaked to them that doesn't represent a full accounting of the facts so that by the time the full accounting does get released, the focus will be on one single part of it that they'll use to dismiss everything else.

As for whether he actually releases the transcript, that remains to be seen. Remember, he was going to declassify the Carter Page FISA warrent and something to do with George Poppadoppadick which never happened. Also, we cannot trust the transcript because there has been at least 3 doctored transcripts that has come out of the White House in the last year. At the end of the day, this is always going to be the state of play with Trump. When one lies incessantly, is the President and is willing to do whatever it takes to get his story repeated, such is the way it goes.

That being said, the whistleblower has contacted the Senate Intelligence Committee and House Intelligence Committee through their lawyers and has asked the ODNI how they can do this through proper channels. They are following the law. The Senate also just passed unanimously a motion for the whistleblower complaint to be sent to the Intelligence Committee. All in all, it's likely going to come out, whether it is actually bad enough to matter and cut through the noise is another story entirely.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

As for whether he actually releases the transcript, that remains to be seen.

Dems need to emphasize that a transcript from the administration is pretty much worthless.  They can remind the public that Nixon proposed releasing transcripts as a compromise during Watergate and they turned out to be vastly different than the tapes.  And, of course, once the tapes were finally released, he resigned three days later.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Dems need to emphasize that a transcript from the administration is pretty much worthless.  They can remind the public that Nixon proposed releasing transcripts as a compromise during Watergate and they turned out to be vastly different than the tapes.  And, of course, once the tapes were finally released, he resigned three days later.

With Watergate it was the steady drip, drip drip, of facts over a months long enquiry that sealed Nixon's fate. Leading up to an election, a slow process with new revelations coming at a steady pace will demoralize Trump. We may not hear about him kneeling in the Oval Office with whomever his equivalent of Kissinger is, drunk and praying for help, but I am sure it will drive him over the edge.

Archived