What TV shows should be rebooted?

Werthead

My 2c here.

The shows I argue should be rebooted are American Gothic (the great 1996 horror show), Dark SkiesBlake's 7, Gerry Anderson's UFO, the 1998 vampire mini-series (and Idris Elba career-starter) Ultraviolet and HBO's Rome. There are also reasonable arguments for rebooting Space: Above and BeyondBabylon 5Macross/Robotech and (inevitably) Firefly. Note that in this context "reboots" can be either remakes or next-generation continuations of the previous iteration of the story.

Legend of the Seeker, alas, did not make the cut.

A reboot of Kindred:The Embraced, but actually making it closer to Vampire: The Masquerade with all of the politics involved with the various vampire clans. Eliminate that goofy love story angle and focus on the clans.

The X-Files...there's a certain relevance to the show that would play well in this time...

Voagers! - Quantum Leap before Quantum Leap, just with more historical figures...

Otherworld - A show that has stuck with me since I was a kid that always made me wonder what else it could be...Sliders before Sliders, in certain respects...

Which brings me to Sliders - pretty well established that it's formula isn't revolutionary anymore, but it's still a timeless formula...

11 hours ago, .H. said:

Exosquad, full remake.  Maybe animated, maybe not.

Yes!

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

None!

Want fresh and original, not regurgitated.

I agree in principle but do book/comic adaptations really count as freshvand original because thst seems to be all we get if reboots aren't on the table 

In general I'm more in favour of continuation reboots. I'd love to see Farscape continue and Babylon 5, stargate SG-1 in that context. I'd rather see buffy the vampire slayer done that way too.

I'd really like to see "booth at the end "return.

Blake's 7, buck rogers, space above and beyond and Charlie jade are all shows I'd like to see redone rather than continued.

A tv highlander reboot from the ground up has a lot of potential. If there weren't new matrix films in development I'd say a tv show of that could work. Someone mentioned quantum leap and sliders which could work. They could try adapting "black science" comic which is pretty much a crazy version of sliders.

There's probably a lot of cartoons from the 80s that would work as a complete redo/reimagining besides exosquad many of which could be live action or done through a modern more mature lens. Same goes with some computer games in a similar vein to castlevania.

19 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The X-Files...there's a certain relevance to the show that would play well in this time...

Watching The X-Files nowadays is an odd experience. It seems to be furthering the idea that the government is a flawless, Machiavellian manipulator of things across decades and everyone is just pawns of a secret elite. I know the fun of The X-Files is its tinfoilery madness, but that scans very differently today to how it did in the 1990s. I could do without it, to be honest (and the last two seasons killed any interest in a continuation of the series, and have made it so a reboot in the next ~10 years is more unlikely).

I did consider Buffy, although I was steering away from shows where reboots/relaunches are actually in the planning stages. Buffy's seems to have stalled though, so perhaps that could be worth considering again.

I've sometimes wondered about whether there could be a reboot of The Avengers (John Steed not Tony Stark), since it's been four decades since it was last on TV and the terrible late 90s movie has probably been mostly forgotten about, although I'm a bit way about the idea because I think there is a danger that it could end up losing the quirkiness of the original show. They might also need to find a new name.

On 9/24/2019 at 12:09 AM, Werthead said:

Legend of the Seeker, alas, did not make the cut.

Boo... Voting for LoS to get rebooted :D

On 9/24/2019 at 4:00 PM, Inkdaub said:

Just start Daredevil back up and I'll be happy.

Amen!

On 9/24/2019 at 2:44 AM, Zorral said:

None!

Want fresh and original, not regurgitated.

This reminded me of those mothers that chew up food and then give it to babies :D

That said, I completely understand.

The one I would really like to get rebooted is "Agent Carter"

On 9/23/2019 at 7:57 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

I've always thought the same.... a new team carrying on Mulder & Scully's work...I would hope they keep they show about the Alien conspiracy though... I always thought that was when the show was at its best

I always thought that the Six Million Dollar Man could be brought into this century... maybe something loosely based on Kevin Smith's "The Bionic man" run with Dynamite... the original does not stand up at all

Kolshack: the Night Stalker maybe?... 

8 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I've always thought the same.... a new team carrying on Mulder & Scully's work...I would hope they keep they show about the Alien conspiracy though... I always thought that was when the show was at its best

I always thought that the Six Million Dollar Man could be brought into this century... maybe something loosely based on Kevin Smith's "The Bionic man" run with Dynamite... the original does not stand up at all

Kolshack: the Night Stalker maybe?... 

You're in luck. We had the Bionic woman about a decade ago; and Wahlberg's got a film in post-production

On 9/24/2019 at 1:08 PM, Heartofice said:

Didn't that already happen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_(2019_American_TV_series)

I'd like them to go back and remake the second season from the UK version, and the first was so great, and the follow up was a bit of a muddle.

Didn't know that - I knew the americans were talking about a remake at the time; that came to nothing - but I'd thought that was just a remake. I guess it remains to be seen whether that is a remake or a reboot - I'm not really interested in a remake, as they won't be able to improve - on the first season at least.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:28 PM, red snow said:

In general I'm more in favour of continuation reboots. I'd love to see Farscape continue and Babylon 5, stargate SG-1 in that context. I'd rather see buffy the vampire slayer done that way too.

Same goes with some computer games in a similar vein to castlevania.

Bolded -

1) I'm very much in the same camp that would like a continuation rather than a reboot. There is a lot that could be done with that concept without needing to reboot it, including a visit back to Earth after 20-30 years away and seeing how...everything the show feared post 9/11 has pretty much come to pass.

2) I'm wondering/hoping the Dark Crystal will increase appetite for more Henson Creature Shop creative works and might help a continued Farscape get off the ground. I'm not actually sure if its been an audience success, but the critical reviews I've seen of it were quite positive and I thought it was fantastic. There is even some...I'm not sure if overlap is the right word, but synergy amongst some of their thematic elements.

As to your second point - Castlevania was great and I think there are definitely other properties you could give a similar treatment to.

4 hours ago, karaddin said:

Bolded -

1) I'm very much in the same camp that would like a continuation rather than a reboot. There is a lot that could be done with that concept without needing to reboot it, including a visit back to Earth after 20-30 years away and seeing how...everything the show feared post 9/11 has pretty much come to pass.

2) I'm wondering/hoping the Dark Crystal will increase appetite for more Henson Creature Shop creative works and might help a continued Farscape get off the ground. I'm not actually sure if its been an audience success, but the critical reviews I've seen of it were quite positive and I thought it was fantastic. There is even some...I'm not sure if overlap is the right word, but synergy amongst some of their thematic elements.

As to your second point - Castlevania was great and I think there are definitely other properties you could give a similar treatment to.

The henson team have been trying to get a film made for years with Crichton's son as the focus and some of the original cast around as mentors so i think they are interested.

I'm pretty sure the dark crystal was using moya corridors as sets if not they can easily use them in a farscape show. 

As for age of resistance, the UK has a top10 feature now and dark crystal has been in there pretty much constantly since it launched so I'd say it's a success in the UK at least. 

Farscape could be really interesting if they could do what they want. It pushed the boundaries quite a bit at the time and think it could benefit from the freedom that a "adult" license could provide. I think there'd be even more drugs and weirdness.

Archived