Could this be Tyrek? Or do you have another idea?

Rufus Snow

Eustace Osgrey's wife is said to have jumped to her death.

"Ser Eustace chose the black dragon over the red, in the hope that a Blackfyre king might restore the lands and castles that the Osgreys had lost under the Targaryens," Lady Rohanne said. "Chiefly he wanted Coldmoat. His sons paid for his treason with their life's blood. When he brought their bones home and delivered his daughter to the king's men for a hostage, his wife threw herself from the top of Standfast tower. Did Ser Eustace tell you that?" Her smile was sad. "No, I did not think so." (TSS)

Well the purpose of him dying finally at the house of black and white could be that maybe his face will be put to use by The faceless Men and if there's that whole Oldtown conspiracy going on maybe it could play into that I don't know? The one I read that after the second or third time I also considered a could be Tyrek . It's one of my favorite mysteries though!

On 9/26/2019 at 3:54 PM, John Suburbs said:

Yeah, but even this kind of leans against it being Tyrek. Assuming that his mortal wounds were suffered during the riot, he then boards a ship to sail across the Narrow Sea just to give his life to a death cult that he doesn't even worship? Or if he was dragged their against his will, he then somehow manages to escape despite his mortal wounds (or maybe he wasn't wounded at all?) to give his life in exchange for revenge on his captors/torturers? Just seems like a bit much for a teenage boy born and raised in the westerlands who has no known attachment to Braavos or the HoBaW.

This young man wasn't wounded, mortally or otherwise, I even highlighted that fact in my original post. Arya " wondered what had brought him here to seek the gift of death", and so do I.

Whatever advantages he had in life, he is still now dead and cold on a slab in Braavos. There's a reason for that, even if it may be opaque and obscure and mysterious to us for time being. I hope it is revealed later in the story. After all, it could be an interesting way to get an FM into the heart of Lannister 'territory' if they do now have Tyrek's face to use.... We already know that the FM are not above killing someone to take their face to serve some other mission, as Pate learnt to his cost.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, White Night said:

What's more puzzling than his identity is why he committed suicide.

I wouldn't put it quite like that, as the two are sides of the same coin, they cannot be separated. From what evidence we can gather from Arya's experience, he appears to have come in willingly 'to seek the gift'.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, White Night said:

So why would a physically healthy Westerosi kill himself in a foreign country.

Apparently healthy, to be sure, and this is the central question. Alas, all we can do is speculate and grope for more evidence in the text.... yeah and now I have planted the thought in my own mind, I keep going back to Pate 'like the Pig Boy'..... And Tyrek's life was bit of a train wreck, I don't think he had much to look forward to. Also in modern parlance, he was a vulnerable young person - I could see quite a few ways he might end up in this situation, but none that rule it out for certain. Even if he turn's up 'alive' later in the story, I'm going to be wondering if it's not an FM behind that face after all.

ETA:

Of course, when I say 'an FM' behind the face, I think we all know which FM it's most likely to be:

A Dance with Dragons - The Blind Girl

She opened her eyes and stared up blind at the black that shrouded her, her dream already fading. So beautiful. She licked her lips, remembering. The bleating of the sheep, the terror in the shepherd's eyes, the sound the dogs had made as she killed them one by one, the snarling of her pack. Game had become scarcer since the snows began to fall, but last night they had feasted. Lamb and dog and mutton and the flesh of man. Some of her little grey cousins were afraid of men, even dead men, but not her. Meat was meat, and men were prey. She was the night wolf. But only when she dreamed.

The blind girl rolled onto her side, sat up, sprang to her feet, stretched. Her bed was a rag-stuffed mattress on a shelf of cold stone, and she was always stiff and tight when she awakened. She padded to her basin on small, bare, callused feet, silent as a shadow, splashed cool water on her face, patted herself dry. Ser Gregor, she thought. Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling. Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei. Her morning prayer. Or was it? No, she thought, not mine. I am no one. That is the night wolf's prayer. Someday she will find them, hunt them, smell their fear, taste their blood. Someday.

The Stanger place and the coins suggest a Westerosi man. Not definitive proof, but by far the most likely.
I don't see how Tyrek could end up dead in the HoWaB. But the curly hair is also pushing toward him.
Plot wise, the purpose would be to give his face to one assassin. The victim would be someone know by Tyrek. Arya and Cersei come to mind... Have seen much worse theories. I like this one.

19 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

This young man wasn't wounded, mortally or otherwise, I even highlighted that fact in my original post. Arya " wondered what had brought him here to seek the gift of death", and so do I.

Whatever advantages he had in life, he is still now dead and cold on a slab in Braavos. There's a reason for that, even if it may be opaque and obscure and mysterious to us for time being. I hope it is revealed later in the story. After all, it could be an interesting way to get an FM into the heart of Lannister 'territory' if they do now have Tyrek's face to use.... We already know that the FM are not above killing someone to take their face to serve some other mission, as Pate learnt to his cost.

Oh, well you brought up mortal wounds, so I just went with that.

I still think it's still a stretch, though. I can't imagine someone could just bring in anyone's body in order to pay for an FM hit. All that would do is spur an endless series of murders and retribution across Braavos. And I don't think we can conclude that the FM are above killing someone just to take their face. We don't know what JH is doing in Oldtown, whether it is sanctioned by the order, or if Pate's death and the key were not contracted by someone else.

This, of course, leads is to the possibility that Tyrek's disappearance and death was contracted as well. This is certainly a possibility, but now I lay the following conundrum at your feet: the body is still fresh, does not smell of brine or any other preservative and has no wounds on him, not even on his wrists or around his mouth as if he was bound and gagged. So how could they have either killed him in KL and transported him across the narrow sea without decomposing, or brought him across alive to kill him in the HoBaW? I'll offer one possibility for the latter: the wine of courage.

But then I fall back to my original question. why Tyrek? What advantage could his face bring to a league of assassins who seem to have no trouble getting close to other high and mighty figures in order to kill them? And what possible story could be tell to explain where he's been for these many months only to reappear one day, unharmed, as if nothing happened?

But I'll reserve final judgement on this one. If Tyrek does miraculously appear at some point in the future, I'll certainly be looking for clues that he is not who he says he is.

Archived