Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Newhouse

Guitar amp cross polination

18 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Agreed, overall I’d say I prefer rosewood but I don’t mind maple, also, I don’t know why but I always think maple just looks somehow right on a Tele.

I have two glossy maple necks that I absolutely love, and a more satin one that I don't particularly like playing.  Everything else is rosewood (LP, 301, some hybrids, etc...)

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

I have two glossy maple necks that I absolutely love, and a more satin one that I don't particularly like playing.  Everything else is rosewood (LP, 301, some hybrids, etc...)

The only Maple necked guitar I have (and love) is very a worn sunburst Strat,everything else is rosewood with me too(another Strat,Tele Plus,Jag HH and a Yamaha SG) were you referring to the Taylor 301?, I have a 310, I don't play it nearly enough though :(.

Edited by Bittersweet Distractor

17 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

The only Maple necked guitar I have (and love) is very a worn sunburst Strat,everything else is rosewood with me too(another Strat,Tele Plus,Jag HH and a Yamaha SG) were you referring to the Taylor 301?, I have a 310, I don't play it nearly enough though :(.

Brain fart, I meant 335 Gibson semi-hollow.  My acoustics don't get played enough either

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

Brain fart, I meant 335 Gibson semi-hollow.  My acoustics don't get played enough either

Nice guitar!, I’ve never had a semi hollow, I’ve played a 335 and a White Falcon in a shop through curiosity, one thing that struck me is they feel kind of big if you’re used to a solid body electric.

I envy you folks that actually can talk gear.  I love music so much but have never really graduated to having much of a sense of types of wood, amps, etc...

I got in a 2 hour session in yesterday which I"m ashamed to say is rare for me and was astounded by how much better my fingertips/callouses felt by the 2nd hour.  The obvious lesson here seems to be "play more,"  Will I learn?  We'll see. 

@Bittersweet Distractor - This session did include some Radiohead and National.  But the easier ones like Lucky, Airbag, Slow Show, Fake Empire, etc...

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

I envy you folks that actually can talk gear.  I love music so much but have never really graduated to having much of a sense of types of wood, amps, etc...

I got in a 2 hour session in yesterday which I"m ashamed to say is rare for me and was astounded by how much better my fingertips/callouses felt by the 2nd hour.  The obvious lesson here seems to be "play more,"  Will I learn?  We'll see. 

@Bittersweet Distractor - This session did include some Radiohead and National.  But the easier ones like Lucky, Airbag, Slow Show, Fake Empire, etc...

I’ve always found the best thing with gear is experimentation until you find what suits you best and what you like, unfortunately it is both time and money consuming!, I’ve kind of settled with what I like best in terms of actual guitars now and doubt I will buy many more as I love the ones I have, my two favourites have huge sentimental value to me as well as being amazing to play, one is an early 80s ‘62 Strat reissue which was a gift from my dad who is no longer with us :(, the other is my Tele Plus-which I got in blue burst so not to look like too much of a Greenwood fangirl :P which was a 30th birthday present from my amazing wife.

I still have some trial and error purchases when it comes to effects though!.

That sounds like a great session I bet you enjoyed yourself! I love both Fake Empire and Lucky.

The reason for experimentation is that we all wish that we could try out 15" Celestions and see if they could fit.

Has anyone noticed the rash of cover songs on YouTube?

None more than the Molly Ringwalds.

Edited by Daniel Newhouse