Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Newhouse

Guitar amp cross polination

Anyone tried a Laney head with a Mesa traditional half stack or stack?

I'm noticing

1) only Marshall and Mesa make stacks readily available with vintage 30's

2) even Nightwish cross pollinates - Mesa amps on Marshall cabinets.  Nightwish is probably going for the sound of the G12T-75, which to my ears, just isn't the loudspeaker that a vintage 30 is.  I ask because I am thinking of Beast over Hammersmith and a Marshall and a Laney stack competing.

And I have to ask, between Marshall, Laney, and I suppose Blackstar, which brands sounds best with a Boss overdrive pedal (with the gain cranked it sounds like level 5 on a Line 6)?

Edited by Daniel Newhouse

Tricky question, the only combination I’ve actually heard was a Mesa amp with a Marshall cabinet and it sounded good.

It depends really on the rest of your setup, which Boss pedal are you referring to? What is your main guitar?.I use a Boss DS-2 and it sounds great through my Silver Jubilee but I’m somewhat traditional and use a Marshall stack there too :P. Saying that, I’ve not been using it as much recently I’m favouring using a VOX amp at the moment.

Edited by Bittersweet Distractor

I can’t really give you much advice on the other amps regarding how they sound with a Boss overdrive pedal, all I can offer is my own experience in that my Boss overdrive sounds the best on my Marshall.

The key to getting a good sound out of that OD pedal is setting your gain on your amp so it's 'just' at the point of breakup and then using the pedal to push it further with a hint of added color.  The amp needs to do the heavy lifting because the pedal doesn't have a very good sounding gain stage, in and of itself.

ETA: IMO of course, sound is so subjective

Edited by aceluby

11 hours ago, aceluby said:

Isn't this kind of why we have to call it "music theory" instead of "the physics of music" or something?  

Like, you won't get much argument that b minor is the relative minor of d major, but can you prove it?   Maybe to that guy over there they sound like shit together.  

17 hours ago, aceluby said:

The key to getting a good sound out of that OD pedal is setting your gain on your amp so it's 'just' at the point of breakup and then using the pedal to push it further with a hint of added color.  The amp needs to do the heavy lifting because the pedal doesn't have a very good sounding gain stage, in and of itself.

Very good advice imo, only thing I’d add if I may is this approach wouldn’t work so well with a lot of solid state amps, but from what the OP has mentioned I’d say he was preferred tubes anyway.

Lets also not forget sometimes you don’t even have to get as far as the pedal or the amp to dial in sound, tone and volume settings as well as what pickup you’ve selected all make a big difference too.

2 hours ago, Daniel Newhouse said:

Could the mods move this thread to General Chatter?

A brazen request, my swamp buddy.  Particularly so in this case where the topic is so obscure.  

I suppose a better topic would be, what do you notice dominating the sound of the guitar, the amp or the distortion pedal?  After Youtubing I think it's the distortion pedal.  Some examples, Rush: tube screamer, Paul Gilbert: Guv'nor.  

11 hours ago, Daniel Newhouse said:

I suppose a better topic would be, what do you notice dominating the sound of the guitar, the amp or the distortion pedal?  After Youtubing I think it's the distortion pedal.  Some examples, Rush: tube screamer, Paul Gilbert: Guv'nor.  

Both have their place depending on the amp, the pedal, and the type of sound you're going for.  I have 3 OD pedals and a high gain distortion pedal.  The high gain one is first in line, which heavily relies on the pedal's gain stage, the second is a high gain - no boost OD pedal (a Timmy) which is pretty transparent, but has a good sounding gain stage.  Then I have two OCD's, one with medium gain and a small volume boost, and one with almost no gain and a bigger boost to volume.  It's a very transparent pedal, so it pushes my tubes nicely when clean, but also works well to boost my previous pedal(s) gain stage(s).

There's two things to keep in mind with the question you're asking.  If you know your equipment well you can make almost anything work pedal/amp wise.  The second is that the most dominating sound coming out of the guitar is the player.  I saw a band once where every member was replaced by a member of a visiting band and even with everyone using the exact same equipment, the sound changed.  It was a huge eye opening moment for me that stopped my 'tone' obsession that had been going on for the better part of a decade.  Just something to keep in mind.

Does anyone have an opinion on red cedar as a topwood on a guitar?  I played an Ibanez once that had a reddish top.  It was supposed to be mahogany and didn't look like mahogany (too dark).  Anyway, I have been interested in alternate wood tops ever since.  Breedlove makes some exotic wood models, and used to make a red cedar top model that you can listen to on YouTube.  The problem is that red cedar almost makes a guitar sound too much like a sitar.  Another alternative is redwood, and whatever this is

19 hours ago, aceluby said:

Both have their place depending on the amp, the pedal, and the type of sound you're going for.  I have 3 OD pedals and a high gain distortion pedal.  The high gain one is first in line, which heavily relies on the pedal's gain stage, the second is a high gain - no boost OD pedal (a Timmy) which is pretty transparent, but has a good sounding gain stage.  Then I have two OCD's, one with medium gain and a small volume boost, and one with almost no gain and a bigger boost to volume.  It's a very transparent pedal, so it pushes my tubes nicely when clean, but also works well to boost my previous pedal(s) gain stage(s).

There's two things to keep in mind with the question you're asking.  If you know your equipment well you can make almost anything work pedal/amp wise.  The second is that the most dominating sound coming out of the guitar is the player.  I saw a band once where every member was replaced by a member of a visiting band and even with everyone using the exact same equipment, the sound changed.  It was a huge eye opening moment for me that stopped my 'tone' obsession that had been going on for the better part of a decade.  Just something to keep in mind.

I used to have 2 OD pedals in my regular setup but am just down to one at the moment, I agree so much about the player making the biggest difference I’ve done the same thing buying effects over the years, some have been really worthwhile, some I’ve barely used.

13 hours ago, Daniel Newhouse said:

Does anyone have an opinion on red cedar as a topwood on a guitar?  I played an Ibanez once that had a reddish top.  It was supposed to be mahogany and didn't look like mahogany (too dark).  Anyway, I have been interested in alternate wood tops ever since.  Breedlove makes some exotic wood models, and used to make a red cedar top model that you can listen to on YouTube.  The problem is that red cedar almost makes a guitar sound too much like a sitar.  Another alternative is redwood, and whatever this is

That guitar looks gorgeous, woods on a dreadnaugut obviously can make a big difference to the sound of the instrument.

One thing I’ve never much noticed is the difference in sound for what wood the neck is made from on an electric, some people say a maple neck is snappier and rosewood is more warmer and more mellow for example, personally I can’t tell the difference, for what they feel like to play I guess I’d say I marginally prefer rosewood fingerboards but I have a guitar with a maple neck which I love to play too.

15 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

One thing I’ve never much noticed is the difference in sound for what wood the neck is made from on an electric, some people say a maple neck is snappier and rosewood is more warmer and more mellow for example, personally I can’t tell the difference, for what they feel like to play I guess I’d say I marginally prefer rosewood fingerboards but I have a guitar with a maple neck which I love to play too.

I find it to be the exact opposite of that, but, as you say, the difference is fairly marginal.

I always got frustrated trying to play the intro to Unchain the Night on acoustic.

Right here at 0:46, it was as if I could get a chorus/reverb effect out of the guitar without using anything digital.  Could that be a Brazillian Rosewood top wood?

8 hours ago, Mr. X said:

I find it to be the exact opposite of that, but, as you say, the difference is fairly marginal.

I suppose the only way to be 100% sure would be to swap necks on the same guitar but yeah I can’t really notice the difference.

Still hardly anything in it imo, the main thing that vid made me think is that I’ve never owned a thinline Tele :(.

I personally don't think you get any tone out of the neck.  The rosewood vs maple debate (to me) is all about feel, not about sound.  

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

I personally don't think you get any tone out of the neck.  The rosewood vs maple debate (to me) is all about feel, not about sound.  

Agreed, overall I’d say I prefer rosewood but I don’t mind maple, also, I don’t know why but I always think maple just looks somehow right on a Tele.