Daniel Newhouse

Foreshadowing the end of house stark

There's the dead direwolf.  

There's Lyanna.  

There's Lyanna in a crypt with some opposition.

There's the man with the wolf's head in the House of the Undying that looks at Dany, pleading for sympathy.

There's Bran and Rickard appearing to be dead without dying and then Shaggydog getting killed soon after.

The great lions of the western hills are extinct. Does that mean the Lannisters are doomed?

”There’s Lyanna” - yes, and what does that mean exactly? 

And I’m even more confused by “there’s Lyanna in a crypt with some opposition”. No idea what you mean, care to elaborate?

Dany had a vision; it came to pass. And again, not sure how this “foreshadows” the extinction of house Stark. 

I think you mean Bran and Rickon, but no idea why you’re saying Shaggydog died soon afterwards? Jon has a wolf dream in ADwD and sees Shaggydog fighting an enormous goat. Also, Jon knows Ghost can sense Shaggydog. In fact, he can sense all the remaining direwolves. 

4 hours ago, Daniel Newhouse said:

There's Lyanna.  

There's the man with the wolf's head in the House of the Undying that looks at Dany, pleading for sympathy.

There's Bran and Rickard appearing to be dead without dying and then Shaggydog getting killed soon after.

Ending the Stark family would make for a terrific ending to this epic.  The dead direwolf was an explicit warning to all Starks to stay north.  They didn't listen.  Going south is the death of the Starks.  Robb, Ned, Cat died when they went south.  Jon died when he attempted to go south to confront the Boltons.  Lyanna, Rickard, and Brandon all died in the south. 

4 minutes ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Ending the Stark family would make for a terrific ending to this epic.  The dead direwolf was an explicit warning to all Starks to stay north.  They didn't listen.  Going south is the death of the Starks.  Robb, Ned, Cat died when they went south.  Jon died when he attempted to go south to confront the Boltons.  Lyanna, Rickard, and Brandon all died in the south. 

Yeah the dead stag and direwolf in the first chapter is enough foreshadowing for Ned to take notice. He probably noticed it, but he decided to ignore it.

The Stag and the Wolf killed each other, which pretty much is foreshadowing of how Ned and Robert doomed their family’s with their actions. Robert with his incompetence at ruling and never siring a trueborn child. Ned with his journey south and his failures as Hand of the King. 

They both doomed their families. Like the best mates that they are.

51 minutes ago, Damsel in Distress said:

I think that the dead direwolf and stag foreshadow Ned and Robert dying. One without kids and the other with 5. Even ghost being away from the others support this. 

Basically another clue that the kids were all jaime's. 

"The wolves will come again," said Jojen solemnly.
"And how would you be knowing, boy?"
"I dreamed it." (Bran II, ASoS 24)

This is in the same vein as;

"Someday the dragons will return. My brother Daeron's dreamed of it, and King Aerys read it in a prophecy. Maybe it will be my egg that hatches. That would be splendid." (The Mystery Knight)

Four out of five Stark children are alive with at least Bran (plus Jon since I count him apart) playing a major role in the war for the dawn and the dragons and the Targaryens have returned and that's good enough for me. 

4 hours ago, Sourjapes said:

If there is to be an eternal summer then why keep around the Stark words? 

Eternal summer could be as dangerous as eternal winter. So people would start to pray that winter would come again.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:24 AM, Daniel Newhouse said:

There's Lyanna.  

Jojen said the wolves will come again, but that could really mean literally, the Starks will live in the form of wolves.  Leaf said the direwolves will live for a while but they too will succumb and die.  The Starks will die.  The ones who have wolves will live in some form within.  They will live as a pack until even the wolves perish.

This is not foreshadowing the end of house Stark, but as soon as I read it, I thought Ned was going to die eventually. (I actually already thought he might die, because he was the dad and all of his many children had POVs, except for Robb and Rickon and it's part of a common story arc to start the story with the dad(+mom) and then he and maybe the mother die and it continues on with the children. So I was on the lookout for signs:unsure:

“Brandon. Yes. Brandon would know what to do. He always did. It was all meant for Brandon. You, Winterfell, everything. He was born to be a King’s Hand and a father to queens. I never asked for this cup to pass to me.” “Perhaps not,” Catelyn said, “but Brandon is dead, and the cup has passed, and you must drink from it, like it or not.”

A Game of Thrones, Catelyn 1 

and later 

"The night the bird had come from Winterfell, Eddard Stark had taken the girls to the castle godswood, an acre of elm and alder and black cottonwood overlooking the river. The heart tree there was a great oak, its ancient limbs overgrown with smokeberry vines; they knelt before it to offer their thanksgiving, as if it had been a weirwood. Sansa drifted to sleep as the moon rose, Arya several hours later, curling up in the grass under Ned’s cloak. All through the dark hours he kept his vigil alone."

A Game of Thrones, Eddard 5

Those are Jesus- parallels. He asks god to take this cup of poison away from him (method of execution in the antiquity) the night before he gets crucified. And he also prays all through the night, by himself, while his followers all fall asleep in the Garden Gethsemane. 

Winterfell is in the war path of the white walkers.  They would to pass through and defeat the defenders of the north if they are to be of any threat at all to Westeros.  Otherwise they are only a local threat to the far north.  That would make the stakes too low for a compelling story.  

I don't believe all of the Starks will die.  The ones who I think will die are Arya, Jon, and Sansa.  Rickon will survive with the wildlings.  Bran will become the 3ER under that tree.  I am also of the opinion that one of the Stark girls will have a baby before she dies.  The father will carry wildling blood and the baby will be like the son of Bael.  

Not working, never mind

Edited by kissdbyfire

On 9/25/2019 at 9:47 PM, Sourjapes said:

If there is to be an eternal summer then why keep around the Stark words? 

On 9/26/2019 at 2:07 AM, Loose Bolt said:

Eternal summer could be as dangerous as eternal winter. So people would start to pray that winter would come again.

Eternal summer is a wish.  But the seasons must have their balance.  Fire, which is life is balanced by Ice, which is death.  Light and dark exists together.  Winter destroys so that life can begin anew.  The old make way for the young.  The old are killed (Jon Arryn, Robert, Ned, Tywin, Balon, Catelyn, Pycelle) in order to make way for the next generation of leaders.  

Lyanna died in a bed of blood holding onto the ashes of a blue rose.  I suspect the blue rose represents her, the last of the original Stark line.  

Bran, the Stark child with the most foresight is uneasy about Lyanna's tomb in the crypt of Winterfell.

I forgot, Lady gets beheaded.

Just now, Daniel Newhouse said:

I suspect the blue rose represents her, the last of the original Stark line.  

Regarding the blue rose, what's your explanation then for Dany's vision in the HotU?  

"A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness."

Also, I have no idea what the bold means.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:24 AM, Daniel Newhouse said:

There's Lyanna.  

The Starks will become kings of the north again but not in the way they hoped for.  The Starks will rule over a dead land covered by ice.  They will die and may get a second chance as wolves. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Newhouse said:

Lyanna died in a bed of blood holding onto the ashes of a blue rose.  I suspect the blue rose represents her, the last of the original Stark line.  

Bran, the Stark child with the most foresight is uneasy about Lyanna's tomb in the crypt of Winterfell.

I forgot, Lady gets beheaded.

The blue rose comes from a bard in disguise who steals the maidenhead of a wolf girl.  Bael did it long ago.  Mance did it to Lyanna and produced Jon Snow. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Regarding the blue rose, what's your explanation then for Dany's vision in the HotU?  

"A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness."

Also, I have no idea what the bold means.

I think it is foreshadowing that Jon Snow will cause dissention that will destroy the Night's Watch.  

I think it is foreshadowing that Jon Snow will cause dissention that will destroy the Night's Watch.  

Colour me confused. Didn't you say:

17 hours ago, Daniel Newhouse said:

And that is precisely what happened.