TTTNE 476 - the ghost of series past

RhaenysBee

UGH, that’s adventurous. Hope you got into your room all right. 

ah this day. First there was no tram service, then there was rain and now I had to take a cab to deliver sister’s luggage to my father’s office so he can deliver it to her. Just sister things. She is essentially acting like she just landed on Earth from Mars and immediately fell down a rabbit hole.

On 10/27/2019 at 10:21 PM, RhaenysBee said:

* Muffin Adventures - Episode 1 

Hide contents

These things turn out differently EVERY TIME. 
first off, cup measurements are the bane of my existence. Why, just why can’t everybody in the world use the metric system?

anyway, I converted the cup measurements into grams today and they yielded vastly different proportions than the last time I used this exact same recipe and converted the cups into milliliters (so I could use my metric measuring cup). As a result, the muffins turned out way more moist than last time (when they were just perfect). Oh well. 

with the pumpkin ones, now that I used the homemade from scratch purée I made, the texture is very different from what I usually get. Way more structured and cakes. Then again, I may have overmixed the batter, which would cause a similar result. And I was to lazy to make the cream cheese topping too. And I even overbaked them a little. 

nevertheless, both muffins are delicious and go very well with (rum infused) tea. :cheers: 

just read the story of the convertions. Reminded me of my adventures when cooking chocolate mousse

14 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

just read the story of the convertions. Reminded me of my adventures when cooking chocolate mousse

Ugh, I would never attempt that. But it’d a classy choice for Halloween - then again I still don’t celebrate Halloween. 

On 10/29/2019 at 9:29 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

Indeed, it's always difficult... I think you did well, just living the moment, you'll know if it's worth with time. As long as it is not unpleasant, it can still be casual right now.

Oh, I wanted to watch Downtown, but since I have not watched the last season, I decided not to, and instead I went to watch Joker. I really liked it, but it made me feel quite anxious.

Oh we didn’t watch it at all either. It took a rough half hour at the beginning to understand who everybody was - I had the most issues placing Tom in the family tree - and then it was perfectly enjoyable without having followed the series. 

21 hours ago, Kaminsod said:

I cannot overstate how great autumn weather feels down here.

I had a lovely two and a half days in the past three days as well, the weather was cold and crispy or rainy, but that’s okay. This is a lovely time of the year. 

17 hours ago, bad robot productions said:

As my first post in this thread, I will go with the 'best drama'. I haven't watched a ton of shows recently but I did in the past. I usually enjoy comedies though, just an uplifting thing to see when something is going on. There is something always going on. For best drama, I might say...House. Good music. I just overall enjoyed that he could never be changed. 

Welcome! 
I agree that house was a lovely tv series. I adored the story, the character and the acting was ingenious as well. Sadly, I am now so pathetically hypochondriac and paranoid that I’m unable to watch any medicine themed television. 

8 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

I’m not feeling well today :(.

Get well soon! 

I had the best family weekend in years on Friday and Saturday when I traveled home for All Saints‘ Day and then went to visit my aunt with my family. There was food and laughter and sugar and spice and everything nice. Like it wasn’t even my family. Today sister and I went to brunch which was all right and to an open zoo in one of the parks in the city which was lovely. Then I read a little, made dinner and we started watching Harry Potter 2.
Which went great until she got the results of some half term exam which she failed and then she went ballistic. [insert rant] This girl will be the death of me, I swear. 

15 hours ago, bad robot productions said:

As my first post in this thread, I will go with the 'best drama'. I haven't watched a ton of shows recently but I did in the past. I usually enjoy comedies though, just an uplifting thing to see when something is going on. There is something always going on. For best drama, I might say...House. Good music. I just overall enjoyed that he could never be changed. 

Welcome to the thread!

Well hello people!

since we are past November 1st and All Saints’ Day, it’s officially Christmas in the retail industry.

Sister (with whom I have already made peace) was disappointed to walk into Starbucks instead an 8am economics lecture today morning and find out that Pumpkin Spice Lattes are no longer available. And not only are Christmas drinks for sale at franchise coffee shops, there are actual Christmas trees raised in front of the malls she passed by, again instead of above mentioned economics lecture. 

I found approximately 8 promotional emails about Christmas deals and Christmas collections at homeware stores. One particular offer included two Microfibre pillow cases for approximately $20 - reduced from $40. Now, in this stamp sized corner of the post communist world, one can buy an entire king sized microfiber duvet set without any deal for 20 dollars. What’s more, one can buy an entire king sized COTTON duvet set without any deal for 40. I won’t deny that I’m easily bought with product design and marketing, but two basic, white, synthetic pillow cases for 20 dollars is no deal for any time of the year, let alone Christmas. How stupid do these retailers think people are? :dunno: Of course, as the consumerist trash that I am, I will go to Starbucks to try the Christmas drinks in the afternoon. I suppose what I can do to ease my millennial guilt and global warming angst is not asking for my “coffee” drink to go but sitting my arse down and I slurp my way into early diabetes from a ceramic mug. 

Why am I so sardonic today? I’m actually in a good mood and I slept 8 hours. :dunno: 

Your sister should go to her lecture.

What the hell are Christmas drinks?

They already started putting up decorations on the streets here and some shops are already selling Christmas decorations since ... two weeks ago? Too early in any case.

56 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Your sister should go to her lecture.

What the hell are Christmas drinks?

They already started putting up decorations on the streets here and some shops are already selling Christmas decorations since ... two weeks ago? Too early in any case.

Well I don’t remember attending 8am lectures either, so I’m rather apologetic about it. 

beverages with an obnoxious amount of sugar and artificial flavoring that our brains connect to christmas spirit thanks to decades of conditioning by society and hospitality industry? :dunno: 

same here. I’m fine with it in November. But I agree that October is too early. Anyway, I just started getting into an autumnal mood now that it’s no longer 25C and my life isn’t 120% work as it was for the first 7 weeks for autumn. So I’m not actually ready to move onto the Christmas spirit yet. 

27 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Well I don’t remember attending 8am lectures either, so I’m rather apologetic about it. 

beverages with an obnoxious amount of sugar and artificial flavoring that our brains connect to christmas spirit thanks to decades of conditioning by society and hospitality industry? :dunno: 

same here. I’m fine with it in November. But I agree that October is too early. Anyway, I just started getting into an autumnal mood now that it’s no longer 25C and my life isn’t 120% work as it was for the first 7 weeks for autumn. So I’m not actually ready to move onto the Christmas spirit yet. 

I did. I am the nerd that attended all the lectures. I still attend some voluntarily, just today I was at the 8.15 AM lecture that I actually don't need to be at, but I find it interesting.

Probably. I don't think I have ever had something specifically labelled as "Christmas drink".

This year ... I am actually thinking about MAAAAAYBE joining the secret Santa game here, if one is going to be organised. :leaving: I am not sure about my financial capability to do so, though.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I did. I am the nerd that attended all the lectures. I still attend some voluntarily, just today I was at the 8.15 AM lecture that I actually don't need to be at, but I find it interesting.

Probably. I don't think I have ever had something specifically labelled as "Christmas drink".

This year ... I am actually thinking about MAAAAAYBE joining the secret Santa game here, if one is going to be organised. :leaving: I am not sure about my financial capability to do so, though.

Well sure, you enjoy them :D 

I don’t think Christmas drinks run by the name “Christmas drink”, it’s usually along the lines of Gingerbread Praline Eggnogg fluff hot chocolate and Nutmeg Toffee Cinnamon Orange Latte. :lol: 

I’ve been procrastinating getting a PO Box for ages. Then again, I’m 100% sure that a 12 year old with google could figure out where I live if he read twenty randomly selected posts of mine. 

On 11/3/2019 at 12:49 AM, bad robot productions said:

Welcome to TTTNE!

It's always more fun here when the number of posters goes up. :)

On 10/31/2019 at 12:56 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

Baking posts?! Excellent.

I recently made biscotti for the first time for Mrs. Chicken to have something sweet with her coffee in the AM. I "burned" the almonds (you're supposed to toast them before stirring them into the batter - I'm not sure that's necessary, but I did it anyway) according to her. I thought they were fine - and she still ate them, so i count it a success.

20 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Well sure, you enjoy them :D 

I don’t think Christmas drinks run by the name “Christmas drink”, it’s usually along the lines of Gingerbread Praline Eggnogg fluff hot chocolate and Nutmeg Toffee Cinnamon Orange Latte. :lol: 

I’ve been procrastinating getting a PO Box for ages. Then again, I’m 100% sure that a 12 year old with google could figure out where I live if he read twenty randomly selected posts of mine. 

I have not noticed any Christmas stuff going up in our town yet, which is fine with me. On the other hand, I do have to go to the supermarket this morning and will probably be blasted (visually) with it there. I might go into the coffee shop and see what they have for Christmas themed coffees - that part could be fun.

A little story: we have ravens here now. As most of you know, I live in the USA and we have mostly just crows as far as I know. I believe in Europe, ravens are more common? In any case, after reading ASOIAF where ravens feature so prominently I've become more aware of them. When we started to hear birds that weren't exactly making a "caw-caw" sound but more of "quork" Mrs. Chicken and I would look at each other and say was that a raven? Mind you, I still haven't seen the bird, I'm just going by sound. The other day at work I heard the two birds at once, a throaty "quork" near at hand, and further in the distance, the "caw" of a crow. Very different when heard together like that. So now I feel confident in saying we have ravens here abouts.

20 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

I have not noticed any Christmas stuff going up in our town yet, which is fine with me. On the other hand, I do have to go to the supermarket this morning and will probably be blasted (visually) with it there. I might go into the coffee shop and see what they have for Christmas themed coffees - that part could be fun.

A little story: we have ravens here now. As most of you know, I live in the USA and we have mostly just crows as far as I know. I believe in Europe, ravens are more common? In any case, after reading ASOIAF where ravens feature so prominently I've become more aware of them. When we started to hear birds that weren't exactly making a "caw-caw" sound but more of "quork" Mrs. Chicken and I would look at each other and say was that a raven? Mind you, I still haven't seen the bird, I'm just going by sound. The other day at work I heard the two birds at once, a throaty "quork" near at hand, and further in the distance, the "caw" of a crow. Very different when heard together like that. So now I feel confident in saying we have ravens here abouts.

Well, this is our shopping street. Well one of them. Nobody can say that I’m not obsessed with Christmas or don’t enjoy a bit of shopping, but I burst out laughing when I saw it. 

honestly, I’m not sure there are many ravens in Europe. The fields are most definitely covered in crows, I would say ravens most likely reside in... oh god my English sucks... arboretums? Does that word exist? Well parks and forests are considered national treasure and are under the protection of this or that organization. 

oh and somehow some way I ended up wearing men’s cologne today. Either I got the pour homme version or it just went bad, I have no clue how this happened but I feel unduly annoyed. 

I’m also on freshmen's ball duty tonight, and get to be sister’s one person glam squad. I think that’ll be fun, though who knows. 

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Well, this is our shopping street. Well one of them. Nobody can say that I’m not obsessed with Christmas or don’t enjoy a bit of shopping, but I burst out laughing when I saw it. 

honestly, I’m not sure there are many ravens in Europe. The fields are most definitely covered in crows, I would say ravens most likely reside in... oh god my English sucks... arboretums? Does that word exist? Well parks and forests are considered national treasure and are under the protection of this or that organization. 

oh and somehow some way I ended up wearing men’s cologne today. Either I got the pour homme version or it just went bad, I have no clue how this happened but I feel unduly annoyed. 

I’m also on freshmen's ball duty tonight, and get to be sister’s one person glam squad. I think that’ll be fun, though who knows. 

That's quite nice looking! I couldn't help but notice the Lindt shop on the left side of the street. Our house is rarely without a few Lindt truffles in the chocolate bowl.

That's another misconception of mine shot down (the raven thing) .  .  . oh well. :) I think your English is great, and yes I could imagine ravens inhabiting a park or arboretum.

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I don't think I would know what is a crow and what is a raven if I sae one of them, let alone only by hearing.

I was surprised just how clear the difference between the raven and the crow was. It's like hearing a three year old voice beside a sixty year old one. I still have not actually seen the raven, though . . .

I had to open my mouth . . . no sooner do I say there hasn't been any Christmas stuff than I hear not one, but two Christmas related ads on the radio(the supermarket was actually not full of Xmas stuff - they're still trying to sell off their Halloween stock at a discount). One was for a credit card (of course), the other was for this silly thing.

My mother insists on having the Diva channel running ALL the time, which runs the absolute cheesiest Christmas-themed movies since October. :ack:

Good think I am not there this season. It started annoying me the first day when I came for a three-day visit.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

My mother insists on having the Diva channel running ALL the time, which runs the absolute cheesiest Christmas-themed movies since October. :ack:

Good think I am not there this season. It started annoying me the first day when I came for a three-day visit.

last year when I was ill, I binge watched those on Netflix. They were sooooo terrible. There was maybe one that was a pass, but most of them are unforgivably terrible. I can’t wait to see Last Christmas in the cinema, I have very low expectations, but Emilia Clarke will surely make it adorable. 

now I’m watching interior design masters on Netflix which is also a terribly edited reality show, but I really adore the contestant and I’m a sucker for interior design. 

Hello everyone, sorry I haven't posted much this week I wasn't feeling well, fortunately I'm feeling much better now :).

So we had another scan yesterday, Mini Sith 2 is healthy and kicking (I'm glad it's not me this time) and due in the middle of Febuary, we still haven't come to much agreement with names though :(.

Also @RhaenysBee you know where you can find Ravens?, in the tower of London, it is tradition that if there are less than 6 Ravens in the tower it means that England will fall!.

Archived