TTTNE 476 - the ghost of series past

RhaenysBee

On 1/7/2020 at 6:11 PM, Buckwheat said:

I am sure you could take a language course in addition to your other courses if you wanted. Wait, sometimes I forget other people are not as big nerds as I am ... 

That is going to be a big flat!

Are your lectures going to be in English?

That's true, but since it's 4 months I don't really see the need. And yes, the apartment is pretty big too, I've got my own kitchenette and bathroom for the first time in my life :D

And yes, all English.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:34 PM, Jen'ari said:

Yes we are, we’re both really excited about it!, she wants it over with at this point and having been through it myself I can sympathise, it’s one of the better things about being married to another woman, I don’t have to do all the hard work when it comes to having kids :P.

Shes due about the middle of Feb, and we’ve decided on a name already, well I say we but she gets the final say this time just as I did with mini Sith.

I’ve been a lot more rainbows and sunshine recently to be fair!.

That does sound like a big bonus :P It's cool that you can divide such things relatively easily. Good luck with your new apprentice come February!

On 1/8/2020 at 12:02 PM, RhaenysBee said:

:agree: Duolingo is soooooo useless and not at all practical. I tried to revive my German via duolingo but the stupid owl made me practice words like he she it, bread, water, to be and a/an for hours without end so I ditched it. :( I mean I didn’t forget THAT. 

indeed, it was what inspired me to start the series.

This sounds so lovely! I expect living with so many foreign students will make socializing in the new environment quick and easy. I’m sure you will have a blast in Sweden! 

And the endless notifications are annoying. I know you're still there, app, I'm just choosing not to click on you.

Ah you've seen it already? Shame about the spoilers, but it's still gonna be tons of fun to watch.

Yeah, I figure that too :) 

17 hours ago, Jen'ari said:

@Buckwheat yes I’ve actually seen it twice :unsure:, overall I really enjoyed it, obviously there are some aspects I wasn’t as fond of but overall I thought it was a good conclusion, it’s easily my favourite of the sequel trilogy.

I disagree SO much :P 

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

That does sound like a big bonus :P It's cool that you can divide such things relatively easily. Good luck with your new apprentice come February!

It’s certainly a big plus point of being married to another woman :P, although if we decide to have any more,my turn again:blink:.

I obviously don’t want to spoil it for anyone so I’m only going to mention what is common knowledge:

Emperor Palpatine-check

fleet of Star Destroyers-check

Spoiler

The power of that force lightning and the Sith Enternal, plot was stupid though the Resistence would have been squashed in 5 minutes if it weren’t for plot armour.

How could you think I wasn’t going to like it?:P.

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

And the endless notifications are annoying. I know you're still there, app, I'm just choosing not to click on you.

Ah you've seen it already? Shame about the spoilers, but it's still gonna be tons of fun to watch.

Yeah, I figure that too :) 

What annoyed me most was how poorly the app estimates the user’s IQ. I mean I felt like a 5 year old being put through the “he is a man, she is a woman” difficulty level 25 times in a row... 

oh it doesn’t bother me at all, this way I can concentrate on the journey and instead of being anxious to find out the destination. 

Oh my! Did you hate it? Tell me you hated it. It would be THIRD film opinion we agree on in 24 hours. :eek: 

42 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

Reveal hidden contents

The power of that force lightning and the Sith Enternal, plot was stupid though the Resistence would have been squashed in 5 minutes if it weren’t for plot armour.

Because

Spoiler

Kylo Ren turns to the Light side in the end.

Also, please tell me we at least agree on the fact that the kiss scene was totally unnecessary.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Because

Reveal hidden contents

Kylo Ren turns to the Light side in the end.

Also, please tell me we at least agree on the fact that the kiss scene was totally unnecessary.

Spoiler

I've always hated Kylo Ren, he's no true Sith, I wanted him to get killed off from the very beginning, him and his stupid lightsaber :P, and yes it was unnecessary, just as the stupid scene with Rey defeating Palpatine(never would have happened he's way more powerful and really in the end got defeated by his own power) or the Star Destroyers not going into orbit where they could activate their shields.

Fare increases suck!.

I’m not having the best start to the weekend, I’ve got toothache and can’t see the dentist until Monday :(.

On the plus side I got a new guitar, purely for the purpose of dismantling half of it and experimenting with different pickups in it as I don’t want to mess up any of my good ones, this has taken my mind off the toothache somewhat and other mrs Sith has been in better spirits today and looking after mini Sith this afternoon.

@First of My Name Nice to see you around! Congrats on going to school in Sweden, hope it goes well for you!

@RhaenysBee don't they have Uber where you live? I've never used Uber, but then, I'm a "country boy" with a pickup truck, so haven't needed it. :P

I have not been to see the new Star Wars, and I sort of want to, but even though the movie theater is basically a nice walk away, I'm too lazy to go out at night. I'll probably just get the dvd at some point when it comes out.

Spoiler

I keep seeing stuff about baby Yodas? Is it true the franchise has gone back to the cute side of the force (a la Ewoks)? Eeewwww!

Meanwhile, my Acrophobia players have been really great and keep coming up with fantastic entries to vote on. I would encourage you all to come over to the thread and see what they've come up with for Harrenhal. The challenge for this game is to come up with an advertising slogan to attract tourists to all the places I come up with. There are some real gems to vote on this time and it makes it more fun for the players when there are extra voters taking part (you don't have to play or put in an entry just pick a first, second, third most favorite from the eight entries and post them). The current round is here:
 harrenhal

3 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Reveal hidden contents

I keep seeing stuff about baby Yodas? Is it true the franchise has gone back to the cute side of the force (a la Ewoks)? Eeewwww!

Not much of a spoiler, just an answer to your post:

Spoiler

I have no idea what you've been seeing, but no such thing as baby Yodas in The Rise Of Skywalker.

I think the movie was great, only with some (to me) inexplicable things that I just call plotholes.

In other news, one of my former classmates has started talk about 10-year high school reunion this year. WHERE HAVE THE YEARS GONE? :eek: We are so old!

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Not much of a spoiler, just an answer to your post:

Reveal hidden contents

I have no idea what you've been seeing, but no such thing as baby Yodas in The Rise Of Skywalker.

I think the movie was great, only with some (to me) inexplicable things that I just call plotholes.

In other news, one of my former classmates has started talk about 10-year high school reunion this year. WHERE HAVE THE YEARS GONE? :eek: We are so old!

Do not get too comfortable with the events in the film:

Spoiler

Once more the Sith shall rule the Galaxy!

7 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

@First of My Name Nice to see you around! Congrats on going to school in Sweden, hope it goes well for you!

@RhaenysBee don't they have Uber where you live? I've never used Uber, but then, I'm a "country boy" with a pickup truck, so haven't needed it. :P

I have not been to see the new Star Wars, and I sort of want to, but even though the movie theater is basically a nice walk away, I'm too lazy to go out at night. I'll probably just get the dvd at some point when it comes out.

Reveal hidden contents

Actually, we don’t. We used to but there was a huge taxi strike because Uber was killing their business and then we no longer had Uber. 

I Personally don’t think it’s worth watching so I would say you aren’t losing anything. It was uttttttterly ridiculous from the first to the last minute. 

Spoiler

Baby Yoda is a nickname for a character in The Mandalorian, the new Star Wars series on Disney+ starring Pedro Pascal. 

19 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Actually, we don’t. We used to but there was a huge taxi strike because Uber was killing their business and then we no longer had Uber. 

I Personally don’t think it’s worth watching so I would say you aren’t losing anything. It was uttttttterly ridiculous from the first to the last minute. 

Reveal hidden contents

Baby Yoda is a nickname for a character in The Mandalorian, the new Star Wars series on Disney+ starring Pedro Pascal. 

I'm surprised taxi drivers in other places aren't doing what yours did. And Uber keeps getting in trouble for - surprise, surprise - not paying their drivers well at all.

I'll watch the new Star Wars - eventually - just because. I've followed the story this far, why stop now. The Mandolorian is trickier because we don't have cable. Partly that's a cost thing and partly, it's not wanting to be glued to the TV all the time. I keep hearing good things about the Mandolorian so I may have to get a dvd set of it someday. And thanks for the answer on Yoda.

On 1/13/2020 at 6:22 PM, Jen'ari said:

Do not get too comfortable with the events in the film:

Hide contents

Once more the Sith shall rule the Galaxy!

Oooooof course. Think that, if it makes you feel better, secret Jedi. ;) 

On 1/9/2020 at 6:16 PM, Jen'ari said:

It’s certainly a big plus point of being married to another woman :P, although if we decide to have any more,my turn again:blink:.

I obviously don’t want to spoil it for anyone so I’m only going to mention what is common knowledge:

Emperor Palpatine-check

fleet of Star Destroyers-check

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I actually liked the lightning too, but a fleet of Death Stars is an even lazier concept than Starkiller base.

On 1/9/2020 at 6:43 PM, RhaenysBee said:

What annoyed me most was how poorly the app estimates the user’s IQ. I mean I felt like a 5 year old being put through the “he is a man, she is a woman” difficulty level 25 times in a row... 

oh it doesn’t bother me at all, this way I can concentrate on the journey and instead of being anxious to find out the destination. 

Oh my! Did you hate it? Tell me you hated it. It would be THIRD film opinion we agree on in 24 hours. :eek: 

Fair enough. And I thought it was easily the worst Star Wars movie yet. 

Spoiler

Chewie's ridiculous fake-out death, Rey's convoluted backstory, the structure of having to find a thing so we can find another thing so we can find the emperor, the undoing of several interesting plot threads from episode 8, Palpatine's unexplained return, the Reylo kiss, the weird love triangles between the main characters that never go anywhere, C-3PO having a set-up for an interesting sacrifice that is undone at the last minute, all Skywalkers are dead at the end and Rey Palpatine just... claims?... the name? And that's it? And then she goes to do what? Is she going to live in the desert? Is she going to rebuild the Jedi Order? And then there's that absolutely soulless final battle, with two fleets that pop up out of nowhere, that ends with Rey's dumb one-liner and requires that Anakin's sacrifice is invalidated.

There was stuff I liked, it was funnier than I thought it'd be, Lando and the acting was pretty good. But overall I thought it was a very, very weak movie.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:53 PM, honeyed chicken said:

@First of My Name Nice to see you around! Congrats on going to school in Sweden, hope it goes well for you

Thanks!

On 1/15/2020 at 8:58 PM, First of My Name said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I actually liked the lightning too, but a fleet of Death Stars is an even lazier concept than Starkiller base.

Fair enough. And I thought it was easily the worst Star Wars movie yet. 

Hide contents

Chewie's ridiculous fake-out death, Rey's convoluted backstory, the structure of having to find a thing so we can find another thing so we can find the emperor, the undoing of several interesting plot threads from episode 8, Palpatine's unexplained return, the Reylo kiss, the weird love triangles between the main characters that never go anywhere, C-3PO having a set-up for an interesting sacrifice that is undone at the last minute, all Skywalkers are dead at the end and Rey Palpatine just... claims?... the name? And that's it? And then she goes to do what? Is she going to live in the desert? Is she going to rebuild the Jedi Order? And then there's that absolutely soulless final battle, with two fleets that pop up out of nowhere, that ends with Rey's dumb one-liner and requires that Anakin's sacrifice is invalidated.

There was stuff I liked, it was funnier than I thought it'd be, Lando and the acting was pretty good. But overall I thought it was a very, very weak movie.

Thanks!

Spoiler

Couldn’t agree more. 
I’m not even sure what was the lowest point. One candidate is Chewie’s fake death and its aftermath which was hands down the worst 5 minutes of storytelling I have ever seen in my life.  Another is the Romeo and Juliet sequence of Rey and Kylo. And yet another is Rey and Kylo force-dragging and moving, functional aircraft in mid-air. For heaven’s sake it was a huge deal for Luke to see Yoda lift a LIFELESS vehicle and hover it for a few yards. HOW would either ray OR Kyle be able to pull this off? It also invalidates every single spaceship escape in the history of Star Wars. Why didn’t Vader just pull back the falcon with the force all those times? Oh god... and the whole Palpatine storyline undermined the fundamental concept of Star Wars, the balance between good and evil. And I suppose gravity was on a smoke break when Palpatine killed the resistance fleet so they could just float around sllooooooooooowly before he died. And I hated that Rey called herself Skywalker and went back to be alone in a desert after she started out the trilogy hating to be alone in a desert. UGH it was sooooo awful. 

15 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh dear. Is everybody still alive? (Apart from the thread) 

Yes. Right now I am a bit pissed off because the moment the cleaning lady left our kitchen clean, I saw the few people who always leave it the dirtiest there. Which means I won't get to enjoy the clean kitchen even for one cooking. :ack: I am so over this kitchen. I am sad I will have to leave the friends I made here, but I am looking forward to not having to deal with this anymore.

Also, my friend was right all these years ago when she said I always have to choose the most difficult thing or task or whatever. In this case, the text to translate. There are a few perfectly nice understandable texts that I could have choosen, but nooooo, I go for the one which is basically nothing but names and titles from foreign cultural environments (to my language) in the first two paragraphs, sooooo ... yeah, I am just making more problems for myself.

greetings spamlanders...dropping in to sniff the spam

and say hey if you want a challenge, come join in a game of acroPHILIA...Dolorous Gabe is going to host a raucous mindbender...here is a link with rules and such...if you like acroPHOBIA, you will love PHILIA...

:smoking:

18 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Yes. Right now I am a bit pissed off because the moment the cleaning lady left our kitchen clean, I saw the few people who always leave it the dirtiest there. Which means I won't get to enjoy the clean kitchen even for one cooking. :ack: I am so over this kitchen. I am sad I will have to leave the friends I made here, but I am looking forward to not having to deal with this anymore.

Also, my friend was right all these years ago when she said I always have to choose the most difficult thing or task or whatever. In this case, the text to translate. There are a few perfectly nice understandable texts that I could have choosen, but nooooo, I go for the one which is basically nothing but names and titles from foreign cultural environments (to my language) in the first two paragraphs, sooooo ... yeah, I am just making more problems for myself.

Oh you’re still there? How much do you have left of your stay in NotVienna? 

I don’t think you are the only one, if that’s any comfort. Though I wouldn’t have a first hand experience, I’m usually the type who chooses the easier option and then guilt-trips herself about not choosing the more difficult one, because “what will people think/say?”... 

Archived