TTTNE 476 - the ghost of series past

RhaenysBee

25 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I don't remember us really doing it all at the same time, everybody just did it once they found time and interest in doing it. I also still have a lot of children's books left here, although we gave some of them to relatives with younger children.

Yeah, I am just trying to meet with individual people, but that is hard by itself.

yeah, we have away a lot of things to my cousin too, books, dvds mostly. 

absolutely with everybody’s work and private life getting in the way all the time.

25 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

:o You have to pay that much money because they messed up? That is idiotic.

If I were you, I would seriously consider just keeping whatever you have now, even though it is not what you originally imagined.

Well I still found no written trace that they messed it up. Like I said, I myself am not even sure I said this about the shower. I do remember asking for the acid wash glass on the front door and repeating ten times that I will not under any circumstances have an acid wash glass sliding door in the living room, but I’m just not 100% positive about the shower. The only thing I found was an offer for the shower with black hardware  and that featured transparent glass on the illustration. But that’s a commercial photograph and I can’t possibly argue that it made me think I would get transparent glass and I’m disappointed that I didn’t get what I thought. /rant

I am considering it, but it’s terribly awful and terribly impractical. Well we’ll see. 

29 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Well I still found no written trace that they messed it up. Like I said, I myself am not even sure I said this about the shower. I do remember asking for the acid wash glass on the front door and repeating ten times that I will not under any circumstances have an acid wash glass sliding door in the living room, but I’m just not 100% positive about the shower. The only thing I found was an offer for the shower with black hardware  and that featured transparent glass on the illustration. But that’s a commercial photograph and I can’t possibly argue that it made me think I would get transparent glass and I’m disappointed that I didn’t get what I thought. /rant

I am considering it, but it’s terribly awful and terribly impractical. Well we’ll see. 

Sorry, but how is the non-transparent glass on the shower any less practical than the transparent one? Is it harder to clean in your experience, or any other reason? I don't think it would be that impractical.

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

The only thing I found was an offer for the shower with black hardware  and that featured transparent glass on the illustration. But that’s a commercial photograph and I can’t possibly argue that it made me think I would get transparent glass

Were there other photos of the shower that showed the acid wash option? If not, then it's absolutely reasonable to argue that you were expecting it to look like the photo, and if they intended to install something different, they should have cleared it with you first. And even if there were multiple photos, in any situation where there's a range of options they should have checked what you wanted.

14 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Sorry, but how is the non-transparent glass on the shower any less practical than the transparent one? Is it harder to clean in your experience, or any other reason? I don't think it would be that impractical.

No, it’s probably easier to keep clean, but we are talking about 3,5square meter bathroom, if you put an opaque cabin in such room, stepping inside you see three half-square-meter slots and that’s your sense of space. With transparent glass, you would see all 3,5 square meter and not feel like you are trapped in a toilet with  a phone box. The opaque glass also doesn’t let through enough light, so you would be showering in one rather dark corner. 

13 hours ago, felice said:

Were there other photos of the shower that showed the acid wash option? If not, then it's absolutely reasonable to argue that you were expecting it to look like the photo, and if they intended to install something different, they should have cleared it with you first. And even if there were multiple photos, in any situation where there's a range of options they should have checked what you wanted.

Yes, that would all be true if I were in contact with the shower company. The panels were obviously acid wash because the construction manager asked for them to be, I doubt there was any mistake in that. The mistake was my not putting my specific preference in writing about the shower cabin. There has been a lot of discussion about it and in my mind it had been settled, but clearly some info was lost. Now the construction manager will never admit that I specified something other than what he ordered without written proof (if I ever did at all). So at the end of the day, the responsibility is mine for not keeping it in close check during a hectic and busy time and letting myself believe it was settled without making sure. 

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

No, it’s probably easier to keep clean, but we are talking about 3,5square meter bathroom, if you put an opaque cabin in such room, stepping inside you see three half-square-meter slots and that’s your sense of space. With transparent glass, you would see all 3,5 square meter and not feel like you are trapped in a toilet with  a phone box. The opaque glass also doesn’t let through enough light, so you would be showering in one rather dark corner. 

That makes sense. I hope you manage to convince them to sort it out the way you want then.

I’ e been up since 3 am because there are groups of people being loud in front of the building and it’s impossible to sleep. Also my heater is terribly loud when it switches on so I have to get some repairmen to look at it again, because this has not been an issue before it was fixed a few weeks ago.
And what does one do when she can’t sleep from the heater or the inconsiderate Uncivilized, bad mannered animals on the street don’t let her sleep? Think herself into a third life crises or whatever kind of crisis it is appropriate to have at my age.

Basically I’m just extremely overwhelmed by the amount of problems to solve and tasks to tackle on my shoulder and I’m weirdly bothered by having to do it allllllllll alone, which is why I don’t have time for a private life to not be alone, which is why the sea of responsibilities won’t get easier. Well it will, once my sister moves out, but boy, aren’t we still many difficult months from that?  And I also have some back pain I should get checked because I spend my life sitting at a computer, and a bunch of preventative medical checkups to book and attend. I’m also generally sick of my job and need a mental break from it, either by quitting or going to this course I’ll be taking from April - and maybe studying something overall different that will somehow stimulate my mind Again and make feel interested in what I spend my time with. 
and really what civilized adult in their right mind is out on a residential street at 4 am being as loud as these people are? Maybe I should give up and watch a show or something until it’s appropriate to get up. 
/fun times with rhaenys 

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’ e been up since 3 am because there are groups of people being loud in front of the building and it’s impossible to sleep. Also my heater is terribly loud when it switches on so I have to get some repairmen to look at it again, because this has not been an issue before it was fixed a few weeks ago.
And what does one do when she can’t sleep from the heater or the inconsiderate Uncivilized, bad mannered animals on the street don’t let her sleep? Think herself into a third life crises or whatever kind of crisis it is appropriate to have at my age.

Basically I’m just extremely overwhelmed by the amount of problems to solve and tasks to tackle on my shoulder and I’m weirdly bothered by having to do it allllllllll alone, which is why I don’t have time for a private life to not be alone, which is why the sea of responsibilities won’t get easier. Well it will, once my sister moves out, but boy, aren’t we still many difficult months from that?  And I also have some back pain I should get checked because I spend my life sitting at a computer, and a bunch of preventative medical checkups to book and attend. I’m also generally sick of my job and need a mental break from it, either by quitting or going to this course I’ll be taking from April - and maybe studying something overall different that will somehow stimulate my mind Again and make feel interested in what I spend my time with. 
and really what civilized adult in their right mind is out on a residential street at 4 am being as loud as these people are? Maybe I should give up and watch a show or something until it’s appropriate to get up. 
/fun times with rhaenys 

:grouphug: It doesn’t sound like you are having a nice start to the weekend at all.

Can you complain to the police about the people making noise at that time of day?, I don’t know what it’s like there but if people were always doing that here it would get quite a few complaints I’d think.

Do you just want to do something different for work because it has become dull and uninteresting?, I hope you’re ok :).

I’m still feeling very drained and tired but slowly getting better, no sign of mini Sith 2 yet much to my wife’s annoyance, she is now just desperate to get it over with and to be holding our new baby.

3 hours ago, Jen'ari said:

:grouphug: It doesn’t sound like you are having a nice start to the weekend at all.

Can you complain to the police about the people making noise at that time of day?, I don’t know what it’s like there but if people were always doing that here it would get quite a few complaints I’d think.

Do you just want to do something different for work because it has become dull and uninteresting?, I hope you’re ok :).

I’m still feeling very drained and tired but slowly getting better, no sign of mini Sith 2 yet much to my wife’s annoyance, she is now just desperate to get it over with and to be holding our new baby.

I feel like you know something, my train is currently 70 minutes late, so yeah, fun weekend so far :lol: 

The issue is that the noise makers are always different people from the uni campus nearby. Thus, it’s hard for the police to do anything about the individuals. It’s the uni and the dorm facilities that should take responsibility but they don’t. 

yeah, I’ve been doing this for 3 years and lately I’ve been losing interest in it. There’s also little room for growth for me here so maybe the time to move on is near. And yeah thanks I’ve slept off the third life crisis :D 

and by the time I finished typing this, my train got cancelled and the next one is already 20 minutes late too. Good times. :lmao: 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

I feel like you know something, my train is currently 70 minutes late, so yeah, fun weekend so far :lol: 

The issue is that the noise makers are always different people from the uni campus nearby. Thus, it’s hard for the police to do anything about the individuals. It’s the uni and the dorm facilities that should take responsibility but they don’t. 

yeah, I’ve been doing this for 3 years and lately I’ve been losing interest in it. There’s also little room for growth for me here so maybe the time to move on is near. And yeah thanks I’ve slept off the third life crisis :D 

and by the time I finished typing this, my train got cancelled and the next one is already 20 minutes late too. Good times. :lmao: 

Ugh trains being cancelled is not good :(, I got a friend to come over and collect us to go food shopping earlier, I really didn’t want to drive today so that was nice of her to do, I hope your weekend improves :).

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Proofreading job, working from home again. At least I have this, though it is boooooring. But ... it is better than nothing.

Still nervous about some stuff I have no influence over. <_< I can just keep waiting.

Story of my life :leaving: 

have patience, I’m sure the job situation will take a positive turn. 

after I spent two months trying to get my sister to go floorboard shopping, after we went and picked the floorboards, after I had the parameters measured, after I emailed the order details and waited for the invoice...

... the retailer calls me back that the floorboard we picked was discontinued and there isn’t 10 packs to be found in the whole of Europe. 

:bang:
I know God only wants to make me stronger, but I feel like my nervous system has a triceps already, I’m not sure it wants to get any stronger.

5 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Story of my life :leaving: 

have patience, I’m sure the job situation will take a positive turn.

I am sure it will! I mean, even if I get a better job, I can still keep proofreading for extra money if they need me and I have any time left. I am just complaining for no reason, again.

5 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

after I spent two months trying to get my sister to go floorboard shopping, after we went and picked the floorboards, after I had the parameters measured, after I emailed the order details and waited for the invoice...

... the retailer calls me back that the floorboard we picked was discontinued and there isn’t 10 packs to be found in the whole of Europe. 

:bang:
I know God only wants to make me stronger, but I feel like my nervous system has a triceps already, I’m not sure it wants to get any stronger.

Hang in there! I know this is very annoying. On the other hand, I had a conversation with my parents yesterday about my living situation. Both myself and the valonqar still live with the parents, but we want to move out. Of course, we don't have money for our own flats, and renting doesn't make all that much sense, so I am really lost about what I can do. I don't want to wait until I am like 40 before I move out, but if I just move out to rent anything, I won't be ever able to save up to actually buy a flat ever (if I even ever get a job contract that would convince any bank to give me a loan, which is not very likely by itself). :/

Good morning, Spammers!

Been so busy with other games, I haven't been checking in here.

Sorry to hear about the absurd stuff you're dealing with, @RhaenysBee. And @Buckwheat sorry to hear your work is so boring. I do not miss those years just post college.

As I mentioned to Buck in a pm this AM (re the current pictionary game) we're having snow again - about 10 cm and climbing. A nice snowball snow, the kind you scoop up and hurl at a brother or sister or friend. Since Mrs. Chicken isn't the snowball fight type, I did no such thing. But we did have a pleasant walk up to her job which is about a km from our house. We had snow here last Thursday as well - a similar amount of wet snow - which then got rained on and the temperatures plummeted so by Saturday morning the ground was covered in something like concrete. Our birds had nowehere else to look for food apaprently, so our backyard was full of feathered friends and here's some pictures of them:

https://imgur.com/TBxMMZA

https://imgur.com/O6jrmRX

https://imgur.com/wMUpOMa

Here's another from Saturday when the sun was shining and you can actually tell what these birds look like:

gold finches

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am sure it will! I mean, even if I get a better job, I can still keep proofreading for extra money if they need me and I have any time left. I am just complaining for no reason, again.

Hang in there! I know this is very annoying. On the other hand, I had a conversation with my parents yesterday about my living situation. Both myself and the valonqar still live with the parents, but we want to move out. Of course, we don't have money for our own flats, and renting doesn't make all that much sense, so I am really lost about what I can do. I don't want to wait until I am like 40 before I move out, but if I just move out to rent anything, I won't be ever able to save up to actually buy a flat ever (if I even ever get a job contract that would convince any bank to give me a loan, which is not very likely by itself). :/

Don’t worry, the anxiousness and frustration about the wait is perfectly understandable. And yes, that sounds like a great idea! you can absolutely combine both jobs if you have the time. 

Hmm, being able to qualify for a loan is not particularly easy as a young person, I really do understand your concern there. 

then again, there are surely alternatives to living with your family more many more years until you are able to afford buying your own place. 

have you considered moving in with other people? Friends or your brother maybe if he wants to move out too? So the rent would be divided and thus more affordable for everybody. 

6 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Good morning, Spammers!

Been so busy with other games, I haven't been checking in here.

Sorry to hear about the absurd stuff you're dealing with, @RhaenysBee. And @Buckwheat sorry to hear your work is so boring. I do not miss those years just post college.

As I mentioned to Buck in a pm this AM (re the current pictionary game) we're having snow again - about 10 cm and climbing. A nice snowball snow, the kind you scoop up and hurl at a brother or sister or friend. Since Mrs. Chicken isn't the snowball fight type, I did no such thing. But we did have a pleasant walk up to her job which is about a km from our house. We had snow here last Thursday as well - a similar amount of wet snow - which then got rained on and the temperatures plummeted so by Saturday morning the ground was covered in something like concrete. Our birds had nowehere else to look for food apaprently, so our backyard was full of feathered friends and here's some pictures of them:

https://imgur.com/TBxMMZA

https://imgur.com/O6jrmRX

https://imgur.com/wMUpOMa

Here's another from Saturday when the sun was shining and you can actually tell what these birds look like:

gold finches

Ah snow! I have barely seen any snow this winter. Maybe for a day or two in early December? Not sure. 

Enjoy your snow, HC! 

6 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

So pretty pictures. :) My grandparents have one of those bird feeders that are like small wooden houses on a pole. They love watching them through the window. The birds that come there are mostly sparrows.

19 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Hmm, being able to qualify for a loan is not particularly easy as a young person, I really do understand your concern there. 

then again, there are surely alternatives to living with your family more many more years until you are able to afford buying your own place. 

have you considered moving in with other people? Friends or your brother maybe if he wants to move out too? So the rent would be divided and thus more affordable for everybody. 

Yes, I was also looking into moving into shared flats, although I don't know anybody that would be willing to share with me. I mean, you can just look at ads online and see people who are looking for a roommate, but that has the potential to also turn into a nightmare, moving in with random people. :dunno: Valonqar has no interest in sharing his living space with me once he moves out.

(Also, it is not like my parents would be unwilling to help me out financially if it came to a situation that called for it, but I don't want to rely completely on that. I am doing it too much as it is already.)

In any case, I need to wait a few months at least to see what will come of this job situation and to earn some money first.

15 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

So pretty pictures. :) My grandparents have one of those bird feeders that are like small wooden houses on a pole. They love watching them through the window. The birds that come there are mostly sparrows.

Yes, I was also looking into moving into shared flats, although I don't know anybody that would be willing to share with me. I mean, you can just look at ads online and see people who are looking for a roommate, but that has the potential to also turn into a nightmare, moving in with random people. :dunno: Valonqar has no interest in sharing his living space with me once he moves out.

(Also, it is not like my parents would be unwilling to help me out financially if it came to a situation that called for it, but I don't want to rely completely on that. I am doing it too much as it is already.)

In any case, I need to wait a few months at least to see what will come of this job situation and to earn some money first.

I do recommend moving in with people you know you can get on with. If there aren’t any friends who want to move, you can still minimize the risk of moving in with the wrong people if you search carefully. If you decide to explore this option, I would encourage you to “interview” potential flat mates. Nobody has wants an uncomfortable living situation and will be open to having a cup of coffee. (If not, that’s a red flag in itself, in my opinion) An hour of conversation should filter people you can’t imagine putting up with quite efficiently. I’m not saying this is a perfect method, but it saved me from moving in with a flatmate I wouldn’t have got on with, and earned me a dream renter for my previous flat. 

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I do recommend moving in with people you know you can get on with. If there aren’t any friends who want to move, you can still minimize the risk of moving in with the wrong people if you search carefully. If you decide to explore this option, I would encourage you to “interview” potential flat mates. Nobody has wants an uncomfortable living situation and will be open to having a cup of coffee. (If not, that’s a red flag in itself, in my opinion) An hour of conversation should filter people you can’t imagine putting up with quite efficiently. I’m not saying this is a perfect method, but it saved me from moving in with a flatmate I wouldn’t have got on with, and earned me a dream renter for my previous flat. 

Well, I mean, I would be the one getting interviewed if I decided to search for such an arrangement, seeing how I am the one who does not have a flat yet. Also, of course it is best if you can chat with people before you move in with them ... but also, just an hour is definitely not enough to actually get to know a person. People can surprise you in both positive and negative ways even after you have known them for a long time.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Well, I mean, I would be the one getting interviewed if I decided to search for such an arrangement, seeing how I am the one who does not have a flat yet. Also, of course it is best if you can chat with people before you move in with them ... but also, just an hour is definitely not enough to actually get to know a person. People can surprise you in both positive and negative ways even after you have known them for a long time.

Maybe, if they think of it first, but whoever initiates it the result is a conversation anyway. And sure an hour in a cafe is not the same as living together, but it’s better than nothing. Oh of course, that’s a valid risk in living with anybody, really, be it family, partner or friends. 

let us know how the living situation goes. I hope you find a suitable arrangement! 

On 2/10/2020 at 9:26 PM, Buckwheat said:

We got a bird feeder for our garden a while ago, it seems to attract small cute birds like robins,sparrows and I think blue tits but it also seems to drive squirrels crazy trying to get into it, and wood pigeons often walk around on the floor underneath it to get the bits the small birds drop because they’re too big and fat to be able to perch on it.

Archived