TTTNE 476 - the ghost of series past

RhaenysBee

On 4/30/2020 at 9:28 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Ah all right. What games do you like playing? I guess our brains are all a bit scattered. And I do find some weird joy in my minuscule problems :lol: 

REALLY late reply again, but I'm digging Zelda, Pokémon and Mario right now, same as ten years ago.

Hope you're all doing well!

On 5/13/2020 at 11:12 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I spent half of today being obsessively hypochondriac and the other half in a Gilmore Girls binge watching rabbit hole. And I had a really awful lasagna. How is it humanly possible to be so hormonal?  If I go to sleep I’ll wake up to a better, but still binge-watch filled tomorrow, right? I don’t mind the binge-watching rabbit hole. It’s been several months since I’ve been down  there. 

Oh god, Gilmore Girls. I watched the first three seasons and I keep wanting to quit because I don't think I actually like it, but everytime the grandparents appear they just light up the entire screen.

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

REALLY late reply again, but I'm digging Zelda, Pokémon and Mario right now, same as ten years ago.

Hope you're all doing well!

I play the same things I did ten years ago. Sims, but the free play app version this time. 

Oh god, Gilmore Girls. I watched the first three seasons and I keep wanting to quit because I don't think I actually like it, but everytime the grandparents appear they just light up the entire screen.

We know I have unpopular entertainment opinions but the whole point of Gilmore Girls is Emily, Richard, Lane and Mrs Kim, Taylor and Kirk. The rest is just there to fill time and tie the genius comedy these characters generate together. :lol: 

We took the Chancellor on a big dog walk. It was a sweaty adventure featuring loud and annoying other dogs, a mysterious-smelling deer, terrifying reed sticks and a courgette that refused to move no matter how intense the poking and provocation. He drank water, ate half a dinner, received lots of head rubs for being a good boy and is now exhausted. 

Gilmore Girls was great for a lot of its run. Obviously took a major dip for the final season when they got a new showrunner/writer (Palladio has a VERY particular style of writing, which carries over into Mrs Maisel). And the less said about A Year in the Life the better (except the Life and Death Brigade montage to I Get by with a Little Help from my Friends, and of course Paris. The world needs more Paris).

I appreciate the progression of the characters though and that it was never linear - because that is how actual people are. Sometimes they progress, sometimes they revert. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are awful. Their actions are often frustrating and disappointing and incomprehensible. Which is what Lorelai and Rory are like, and what Richard and Emily are like. As I said though, this is more poorly done as the seasons continue. The first few makes for wonderful television and I certainly appreciate the script writing/dialogue.

Hi all, I'm just dipping back in. I'll read back some of this thread to catch up so potentially may have a few posts incoming

On 5/10/2020 at 11:16 AM, Jen'ari said:

I’m sure you will encounter a nice guy to date soon :).

We don’t get much time to ourselves to spend together the kids pretty much keep us occupied all the time but we’d not change anything for the world as they’re both awesome.

I’ve spoken to my gran about when the lockdown is lifted if she would have the kids for a weekend which she jumped at the chance for, so I can take other mrs Sith away for a lovely relaxing weekend, I bet the first thing we do is have 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep!.

Is he very old in dog years now?, I’ve given some thought to getting a dog when the kids get a bit older.

That sounds like a lovely plan for when you are able to get out again and I can certainly believe that she would jump at the chance to have the kids for you. My nanna recklessly (but understandably given the confusing messaging) thought it was safe to go out last Monday :( Touch wood, she's had no symptoms yet so hopefully I'm just worrying over nothing. I'm on edge that she will go out again, even though we've now explained she still can't go out.

8 hours uninterrupted sleep, sounds like bliss! :D

On 5/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, Jen'ari said:

She does go in the garden and enjoys it lots, but you have to constantly watch her the whole time because she will often be mischievous!.

I don’t think London is somewhere to be scared of in terms of living and working there but then I did live there and grew up there so I guess I’d view it differently.

Now though I don’t like it that much, I don’t even enjoy going into London that much anymore even though I still live within a 30 min train journey and probably a 45 minute drive of the centre.

Also you are quite right about not wanting to commute by car, driving in London is utterly miserable I hated it.

I’ve started to enjoy driving a bit more since being outside of London and the traffic being better and driving a nice quiet electric car.

Moving to London from a small town in the NE was slightly intimidating at first but I adjusted quite quickly. I find that I enjoy it still but nowadays when I go to visit I mostly enjoy the parks and museums.

On 5/11/2020 at 7:44 PM, RhaenysBee said:

The first couple times I visited London I didn’t get the hype either, it seemed too vast and I didn’t have enough time there to start feeling the city. Later, when I skipped the touristy bits and just wandered the streets and parks, I did get that sense of Britishness I missed during previous visits. Of course this only applies for certain parts of London, with some other boroughs I’d never be able to tell that I’m in London and not any other big city, if it weren’t the switched lanes. having said that, I would absolutely love to spend a bit longer in not-London, because  I’ve only visited a few other places. I would love to visit Edinburgh, Brighton, Bath, Cornwall, the Cotswolds, the Dartmoor National Park, as well as the Lake District National Park. And I would certainly want to go back to Northern Ireland. I still dream about returning to a second-hand bookstore in Canterbury or just to Kent in general, which had stolen my heart many years ago. /ukobsessionwithRhaenys

Do you have any particular activities in mind you would love to indulge in? Other than sleeping and catching up on snuggles and leers, of course :D 

Ah she’s a good baby. well toddler. I’m sure she’d not like to be called a baby, being a big sister and all :D 

yes, and did he live life on the edge..! We are hoping that the medicine he’s taking right now will help him enough that he can stay with us for some more time. For his age, he is in average shape, according to the vet. 

Edinburgh is a lovely city. It doesn't even feel like a city at times, depending on where you are. Prince's Street obviously feels very much like a city as it's the main shopping street, and the Royal Mile is very touristy. But it's all very beautiful.

Cornwall is a gorgeous region too, although you really need a car to get around if you visit. If you want to visit multiple places anyway, which you absolutely should. When I went I stopped in a small fishing village which was a beautiful little base where I could go for lovely walks on an evening. And I was there with my family so we got to drive around to loads of attractions.

The Lake District is also gorgeous though some Honeypot sites like Keswick are slowly being spoiled by too much tourism. Very nice area for an active outdoorsy holiday, just be respectful of the environment and don't be too "touristy" :P

Loads of other great UK locations but I can't recommend them all! I've had a tumultuous relationship with my own hometown/region but since I returned here after uni I have gradually become more settled. And during this lockdown period I've really come to love it again. Some absolutely gorgeous locations

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Loads of other great UK locations but I can't recommend them all! I've had a tumultuous relationship with my own hometown/region but since I returned here after uni I have gradually become more settled. And during this lockdown period I've really come to love it again. Some absolutely gorgeous locations

Welcome back, H! After your post I want to visit all the places you described, the UK sounds very nice according to you. :) But alas, Brexit, covid-restrictions, and no money to travel anyway right now.

Do you live with your parents now?

My parents and I finally visited grandmother/aunt/uncle/cousin yesterday, after all the restrictions of movement have been lifted. Grandmother had an accident and now has to wear her arm in a plaster. They also have a new puppy, who is adorable.

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Welcome back, H! After your post I want to visit all the places you described, the UK sounds very nice according to you. :) But alas, Brexit, covid-restrictions, and no money to travel anyway right now.

Do you live with your parents now?

My parents and I finally visited grandmother/aunt/uncle/cousin yesterday, after all the restrictions of movement have been lifted. Grandmother had an accident and now has to wear her arm in a plaster. They also have a new puppy, who is adorable.

Thanks :) yes, travel restrictions are not ideal right now...

No, I live on my own in a little flat with little/no natural light (the only window looks directly onto the wall of the next building across). I video call my nanna everyday, and my parents a few times a week. Parent calls include appearances by the pups :smug: (though they are not at all pups in the actual sense of the word, they will always be my pups...)

I hope your Grandmother is ok. I'm glad you got to see your extended family and got out and about a little!

18 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Gilmore Girls was great for a lot of its run. Obviously took a major dip for the final season when they got a new showrunner/writer (Palladio has a VERY particular style of writing, which carries over into Mrs Maisel). And the less said about A Year in the Life the better (except the Life and Death Brigade montage to I Get by with a Little Help from my Friends, and of course Paris. The world needs more Paris).

I appreciate the progression of the characters though and that it was never linear - because that is how actual people are. Sometimes they progress, sometimes they revert. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are awful. Their actions are often frustrating and disappointing and incomprehensible. Which is what Lorelai and Rory are like, and what Richard and Emily are like. As I said though, this is more poorly done as the seasons continue. The first few makes for wonderful television and I certainly appreciate the script writing/dialogue.

Hi all, I'm just dipping back in. I'll read back some of this thread to catch up so potentially may have a few posts incoming

Yes I agree about the progression of the show. To me the first three seasons are the golden standard. The fourth and fifth have fun and enjoyable aspects as well, but weren’t as strong as the first three. 

welcome back! How have you been? 

18 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Moving to London from a small town in the NE was slightly intimidating at first but I adjusted quite quickly. I find that I enjoy it still but nowadays when I go to visit I mostly enjoy the parks and museums.

Edinburgh is a lovely city. It doesn't even feel like a city at times, depending on where you are. Prince's Street obviously feels very much like a city as it's the main shopping street, and the Royal Mile is very touristy. But it's all very beautiful.

Cornwall is a gorgeous region too, although you really need a car to get around if you visit. If you want to visit multiple places anyway, which you absolutely should. When I went I stopped in a small fishing village which was a beautiful little base where I could go for lovely walks on an evening. And I was there with my family so we got to drive around to loads of attractions.

The Lake District is also gorgeous though some Honeypot sites like Keswick are slowly being spoiled by too much tourism. Very nice area for an active outdoorsy holiday, just be respectful of the environment and don't be too "touristy" :P

Ah you make me long for a UK holiday. Well, one day we can fly again. 

I did grow to love my hometown as well. While a big city has its comforts and life is in many aspects easier there, a tiny countryside place has its advantages and magic as well. 

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

That sounds like a lovely plan for when you are able to get out again and I can certainly believe that she would jump at the chance to have the kids for you. My nanna recklessly (but understandably given the confusing messaging) thought it was safe to go out last Monday :( Touch wood, she's had no symptoms yet so hopefully I'm just worrying over nothing. I'm on edge that she will go out again, even though we've now explained she still can't go out.

8 hours uninterrupted sleep, sounds like bliss! :D

I hope your gran is ok :).

I’ve already asked my gran about having the kids for a weekend when we’re allowed and she answered with an enthusiastic yes!, her and mini Sith 1 get on very well, she hasn’t spent much time at all with mini Sith 2 yet but she was really happy to spend more time with her, even though I’m sure she will be wanting to give her back soon enough, she’s amazing but does seem less chilled and definately louder than big sis was at the same age!.

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Thanks :) yes, travel restrictions are not ideal right now...

No, I live on my own in a little flat with little/no natural light (the only window looks directly onto the wall of the next building across). I video call my nanna everyday, and my parents a few times a week. Parent calls include appearances by the pups :smug: (though they are not at all pups in the actual sense of the word, they will always be my pups...)

I hope your Grandmother is ok. I'm glad you got to see your extended family and got out and about a little!

Own flat sounds very fancy. :) I hope you manage to find one with more natural light some time though, only looking at the opposite building wall is a bit depressing. But it is still great that you manage to keep your own one.

Your grandmother sounds like a champion for managing modern technology. None of my grandparents could set up a videocall.

I hope grandmother's arm will be okay too. And I was really happy to see this part of the family, we didn't manage to visit in months because of the quarantine.

@Buckwheat hope your grandmother’s arm is improving. Is it hurting her or the plaster is just a discomfort? I hope she’s doing well. 

We made one last attempt to stabilize the dog situation yesterday, because Prince William seemed perky and healthy, but it only resulted in a number of nasty lion king fights. Prince William has been feeling quite poorly again since, we had to give him painkillers for the night. I feel terribly guilty for letting them engage in a conflict, even if we were only following the vet’s advice. Either way, he’ll be staying inside from now on and I’m taking him for morning and evening walks so he can get some exercise and attend to physiological  needs. I’m hoping that the damage is more psychological than physical so he’ll get better in a couple days. He still has a more than healthy appetite, drinks water, produces healthy biological outputs, barks and growls at the Chancellor through closed doors, terrace rails and fences. He still enjoys and is willing to take the walks even if he’s slower and gets tired quickly. Even if the first time in his life he is reduced to wearing a collar and a leash.

I just hope I’m overreacting when I check his breathing at 2am and 5:30 and he is just old and he’ll spend a few more months in comfort and tranquility with us. It is a new, scary and worrisome experience for me to have an aged pet and watch them get slower and weaker and more mortal by the day. Especially when he used to be the epitome of an indestructible superhero dog who jumped fences, disappeared for days and came home unscathed, participated in dog gang  wars, reigned over the entire town, had several girlfriends, fathered some twelve puppies (that we know of an who knows how many more), he was hit by a car, he was shot, he waited for sister every day at primary school to see her home and saw me to the bus every day while I was still at school, and there isn’t a soul in my hometown who doesn’t know his name. He is basically the Alexander the Great of dogs. Or William the Conquerer. 

/dogtales with Rhaenys 

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

@Buckwheat hope your grandmother’s arm is improving. Is it hurting her or the plaster is just a discomfort? I hope she’s doing well.

Not sure, it is hard to communicate to her. I also hope it will heal well, but nobody can know now.

All the best to Prince William too. He sounds like a magnificent dog.

On 5/17/2020 at 6:22 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I play the same things I did ten years ago. Sims, but the free play app version this time. 

We know I have unpopular entertainment opinions but the whole point of Gilmore Girls is Emily, Richard, Lane and Mrs Kim, Taylor and Kirk. The rest is just there to fill time and tie the genius comedy these characters generate together. :lol: 

I'd take out Taylor and Kirk and replace them with Paris, I find that actress way funnier. But yeah, the Kims are great!

On 5/17/2020 at 9:56 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Agreed, the character progression is super enjoyable, there's progress in their dreams and personal lives, but sometimes it's not what they hoped for and sometimes what they want changes over time. And the Lorelai/Richard/Emily dynamic is just delicious. 
That said, I don't think I'm gonna continue with the fourth season. These seasons take me a looong time to get through.

I'd take out Taylor and Kirk and replace them with Paris, I find that actress way funnier. But yeah, the Kims are great!

Oh right, Paris (and Doyle) is another highlight of the show. Not sure why I forgot to mention her but definitely agree. 

On 5/19/2020 at 4:30 PM, Buckwheat said:

Not sure, it is hard to communicate to her. I also hope it will heal well, but nobody can know now.

All the best to Prince William too. He sounds like a magnificent dog.

Ugh, hope she’ll get well soon. Best wishes and speedy recovery. How long does she have to wear the plaster? 

Thanks, he seems to be soldering on. I’m currently annoying him with music and baking (he finds it preposterous when we prepare food in his company he can’t eat), so he’s throwing me reproachful glares and trying to make a point by cruising between his bowls and the kitchen door. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Ugh, hope she’ll get well soon. Best wishes and speedy recovery. How long does she have to wear the plaster? 

Thanks, he seems to be soldering on. I’m currently annoying him with music and baking (he finds it preposterous when we prepare food in his company he can’t eat), so he’s throwing me reproachful glares and trying to make a point by cruising between his bowls and the kitchen door. 

I don't know at the moment, they are going to monitor and see how it develops.

A lot of proofreading done yesterday and today.

15 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I don't know at the moment, they are going to monitor and see how it develops.

A lot of proofreading done yesterday and today.

Ah great job! :commie:send me some of those productive vibes. I need to organize the kitchen, put up pictures and paint a door and I feel too lazy to start :bawl: 

also the weather is finally less October-like. The wind is less cold and there’s a bit of sun, though it was still cold to have breakfast on the terrace. 

2 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Ah great job! :commie:send me some of those productive vibes. I need to organize the kitchen, put up pictures and paint a door and I feel too lazy to start :bawl: 

also the weather is finally less October-like. The wind is less cold and there’s a bit of sun, though it was still cold to have breakfast on the terrace. 

*sending productive vibes*

Just talked to the language school on the phone, seems like I will finally be able to teach in the classroom again soon! Yay, hopefully this comes true!

Also, go there: https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/156985-pictionary-78-famous-artworks/ Sign up!

Well I’ve had a busy few days, the mini Siths have been keeping us busy and tired!.

Today was really good though, I finally went out to practice with some friends although we understandably kept within the social distance rules, I had great fun and we worked on a song I want to cover but I can’t get the vocals at all right atm :(.

Well isn’t this a glorious day? Yesterday I had a shit day and I told myself, ah, never mind, I’ll make the most of tomorrow, I’ll relax and read and pot my propagated plant and enjoy the lightness of an unproductive Sunday until sister arrives. (although I did feel this slight knot in my stomach that there’d be trouble - and foolishly thought that the cause would be my Skyping my friend on Sunday, instead of talking to sister, which would obviously make her upset and angry) 

Instead my mum’s been feeling unwell since morning and has severe stomach and back pain (and no body temperature). She called the doctor who thinks it might be very bad reflux or a spleen issue. So I had the honor of calling sister to tell her that we are so incredibly sorry and know it’s terrible but it’s better if she doesn’t come back for everybody’s health including hers.
And of course she went ballistic. Because she will spend her birthday alone. And it’s a big one. And she’ll be all alone in an apartment studying on this big birthday of hers. And why couldn’t I say this the day before anyway? Because she can’t plan ahead so suddenly and what a preposterous inconvenience it is for my father that he thought he’d be driving her somewhere and now he isn’t. We quickly got to the point that she said she doesn’t give a shit about mum and I told her to go to hell and she told me that she didn’t expect a better birthday wish from me and I told her I didn’t expect her big birthday to rise her above prioritizing her convenience over our mother’s health, so she told me that I’m boring and ugly and pathetic and will die alone etc etc etc. Ah good times. 

So now we are waiting for my mum to feel better from all the meds the doctor told her to take and if she isn’t better I’ll drive her to the emergency duty doctor’s office. 

Meanwhile sister is probably crying alone and mourning her birthday plans, hating me for being the bearer of bad news and hating my mother for timing her health trouble badly and deep down probably also worrying if she’s okay. 

Moral of the story (aside from my and sister‘s being nutcases who should have been in psychotherapy for years - which is known, per se):
- don’t waste away entire days feeling shitty for no reason at all because it’ll only get shittier and you should enjoy life while it’s not as shit as it can be - easier said than done of course and even easier to be a smartass in retrospect, but maybe just maybe I’ll sloooooowly learn this and appreciate the mundane before the storm 

/ignore me, 80% of my online content is emotion dump - I should get into journaling and spare the internet my shit

Archived